kaamagu.na: double-entendre?

  • sannakhandha
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2006
      I am wondering if there is any support for reading kaamagu.na "strings
      of sensuality" as being a metaphoric double-entendre for: (1) the
      "strings" (gu.na) of a lute when strummed, give rise to pleasurable
      feelings [from access to insight glossary]; and also (2) "strings"
      (gu.na) which can string or bind or tie one to sa.msaara and dukkha
      (when there is no vipassanaa)?

      Or am I maybe reading too much of the English connotations of "string"
      into this? It seems that "string" would have the same connotations in
      any language? I guess it depends on if gu.na can be used as a verb or
      not?