Re: suddhabbara

  • abhidhammika
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 9, 2006
      Dear John Kelly and all

      How are you?

      Suddhabbara sounds to me as suddha and vara. Both are words of
      glorification of the Buddha.

      Other examples of -bb- coming (aagama) in place of 'va' are as
      follows.

      abba.na for na + va.na

      abbata for na + vata

      Make more thinking and inquiries, though.

      Best wishes,

      Suan Lu zaw

      www.bodhiology.org

      (JK wrote:

      Dear friends,

      Can anyone tell me where the word "suddhabbara" comes from? It comes
      from a
      chanting book and this is a verse of reverence to the Buddha, and
      appears to
      have been translated simply as "purified", but "suddha" has that
      meaning on it's
      own, I thought. what does the "-abbara" ending mean?

      Buddho
      susuddho karu.naa-maha.n.navo

      Yo
      'ccanta-suddhabbara-~naa.na-locano

      Lokassa
      paapuupakilesa-ghaatako

      Vandaami
      buddha.m ahamaadarena ta.m.

      The Buddha, well-purifed, with
      ocean-like compassion,

      Possessed of the eye of
      knowledge, completely purified,

      Destroyer of the evils and
      corruption of the world;

      I revere that Buddha with
      devotion.

      Thanks for any help that can be offered.
      With metta,
      John
    • John Kelly
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 10, 2006
        Dear Ole and Suan,

        Thank you both for your speedy responses to my question. Now I see
        that 'vara' makes perfect sense. Pali often throws me with these
        sandhi changes when words are completely disguised like that.

        With metta,
        John

        <http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=50202&pa