SV: [Pali] suddhabbara

  • Ole Holten Pind
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 9, 2006
      The context would suggest reading vara for bbara.
      OP

      _____

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2006
        Dear John Kelly and all

        How are you?

        Suddhabbara sounds to me as suddha and vara. Both are words of
        glorification of the Buddha.

        Other examples of -bb- coming (aagama) in place of 'va' are as
        follows.

        abba.na for na + va.na

        abbata for na + vata

        Make more thinking and inquiries, though.

        Best wishes,

        Suan Lu zaw

        www.bodhiology.org

[...]

      • John Kelly
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 10, 2006
          Dear Ole and Suan,

          Thank you both for your speedy responses to my question. Now I see
          that 'vara' makes perfect sense. Pali often throws me with these
          sandhi changes when words are completely disguised like that.

          With metta,
          John