suddhabbara

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 9, 2006

      Can anyone tell me where the word "suddhabbara" comes from? It comes from a chanting book and this is a verse of reverence to the Buddha, and appears to have been translated simply as "purified", but "suddha" has that meaning on it's own, I thought. what does the "-abbara" ending mean?

      Buddho
      susuddho karu.naa-maha.n.navo

      Yo
      'ccanta-suddhabbara-~naa.na-locano

      Lokassa
      paapuupakilesa-ghaatako

      Vandaami
      buddha.m ahamaadarena ta.m.

      The Buddha, well-purifed, with
      ocean-like compassion,

      Possessed of the eye of
      knowledge, completely purified,

      Destroyer of the evils and
      corruption of the world;

      I revere that Buddha with
      devotion.

      Thanks for any help that can be offered.
      With metta,
      John

    • Ole Holten Pind
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2006
        The context would suggest reading vara for bbara.
        OP

        _____

[...]

        <http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=50202&pa
        rtner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

      • abhidhammika
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 9, 2006
          Dear John Kelly and all

          How are you?

          Suddhabbara sounds to me as suddha and vara. Both are words of
          glorification of the Buddha.

          Other examples of -bb- coming (aagama) in place of 'va' are as
          follows.

          abba.na for na + va.na

          abbata for na + vata

          Make more thinking and inquiries, though.

          Best wishes,

          Suan Lu zaw

          www.bodhiology.org

          Dear friends,

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 10, 2006
            Dear Ole and Suan,

            Thank you both for your speedy responses to my question. Now I see
            that 'vara' makes perfect sense. Pali often throws me with these
            sandhi changes when words are completely disguised like that.

            With metta,
            John