AW: SV: [Pali] frequency sorted Pali word list

  • Lennart Lopin
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2006
      Dear Ole,

      Thank you for your positive feedback! First of all its quite sad to hear that the CPD is "officially" going to be discontinued but then - progress was very slow during the recent years, wasn't it? At least i did not hear much about it. Secondly: it would be a great honor for me if i could lend you a hand and make any helpful contribution. We can discuss any details about extraction of words from the Patimokkha if you like (please reply to palireader [at] gmail [dot] com for off - newsgroup discussion) . I think it wont be such a difficult task because - due to the development of the Pali Text Reader - we already developed some pali specialized corpus handling tools (i.e. our pali-alphabetical sorting algorithm etc.)

      Some questions for a starter:

      1.) which editions you are going to use (it might be necessary to make an automated diff-list to see, which words differ in those editions of the Patimokkha) - VRI, Thai and Sinhalese editions are all electronically available, so they could be used

      2.) Extraction of unique terms is no problem. I could also generate a reverse sorted list, so its easier to edit them according to "grammatical class"

      Finally, i have a question regarding the licensing of the CPD. Is it or will it be "open source". I am asking, because till now, we use the Buddhadatta's dictionary for instance in the Pali Text Reader because the PED is still "closed for redistribution" due to copyright issues. Does the same apply to the CPD? Or wont it be a problem to use the CPD later on in open source applications?

      mettâya,

      Lennart

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2006
        The CPD is historically and academically the best Pali dictionary we have,
        but we seem to take many lives to complete such projects :) The project
        started just a couple of years before I was born, I invested a small
        fortuine to procure the whole set (in stages and with some difficuties). I
        do not know anywhere else in Singapore where there is a CPD, not even the
        Buddhist Library here.

        Pali House (my residence and Dharma workhouse) very blessed to have the
        presence of such dedicated and focussed scholarship in my study and which I
        am able to refer to for my work. We also have one of the most complete
        (perhaps the most complete) Pali Canon (including some Sanskrit) texts in
        Singapore.

        It is a mosty compassionate and expedient idea to open the CPD files the
        internet, esp the large collection of unpublished materials. This will
        surely benefit many (like myself) who enjoying translating the Buddha Word
        as part of our spiritual growth.

        Sadhu, ciram. tit.t.hatu buddhasaasanam.

        Piya

        On 10/8/06, Lennart Lopin <lenni_lop@...> wrote:

        > Dear Ole,
        >
        > Thank you for your positive feedback! First of all its quite sad to hear
        > that the CPD is "officially" going to be discontinued but then - progress
        > was very slow during the recent years, wasn't it? At least i did not hear
        > much about it. Secondly: it would be a great honor for me if i could lend
        > you a hand and make any helpful contribution. We can discuss any details
        > about extraction of words from the Patimokkha if you like (please reply to
        > palireader [at] gmail [dot] com for off - newsgroup discussion) . I think it
        > wont be such a difficult task because - due to the development of the Pali
        > Text Reader - we already developed some pali specialized corpus handling
        > tools (i.e. our pali-alphabetical sorting algorithm etc.)
        >
        > Some questions for a starter:
        >
        > 1.) which editions you are going to use (it might be necessary to make an
        > automated diff-list to see, which words differ in those editions of the
        > Patimokkha) - VRI, Thai and Sinhalese editions are all electronically
        > available, so they could be used
        >
        > 2.) Extraction of unique terms is no problem. I could also generate a
        > reverse sorted list, so its easier to edit them according to "grammatical
        > class"
        >
        > Finally, i have a question regarding the licensing of the CPD. Is it or
        > will it be "open source". I am asking, because till now, we use the
        > Buddhadatta's dictionary for instance in the Pali Text Reader because the
        > PED is still "closed for redistribution" due to copyright issues. Does the
        > same apply to the CPD? Or wont it be a problem to use the CPD later on in
        > open source applications?
        >
        > mettâya,
        >
        > Lennart

      • Ole Holten Pind
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 10, 2006
          Dear Lennart,

          Thank you for being willing to lend a hand! I appreciate that very much. The
          planned net version of the CPD, the iCPD, is going to be an open source Pali
          dictionary. I expect that everything published so far will be available on
          the University of Copenhagen's server around the beginning of March 2007.

          Ole Pind

          _____

          <http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=84593&pa

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 10, 2006
            Dear Piya Tan,

            I appreciate your enthusiasm about the planned net version of the CPD! It is
            going to be an open source dictionary project housed by the University of
            Copenhagen. It should be on the net by the beginning of March 2007.
            Hopefully it will be useful to every individual who studies the Pali canon,
            but does not have access to the CPD.

            Ole Pind

            _____

            On 10/8/06, Lennart Lopin <lenni_lop@yahoo. <mailto:lenni_lop%40yahoo.de>
            de> wrote:

            > Dear Ole,
            >
            > Thank you for your positive feedback! First of all its quite sad to hear
            > that the CPD is "officially" going to be discontinued but then - progress
            > was very slow during the recent years, wasn't it? At least i did not hear
            > much about it. Secondly: it would be a great honor for me if i could lend
            > you a hand and make any helpful contribution. We can discuss any details
            > about extraction of words from the Patimokkha if you like (please reply to
            > palireader [at] gmail [dot] com for off - newsgroup discussion) . I think
            it
            > wont be such a difficult task because - due to the development of the Pali
            > Text Reader - we already developed some pali specialized corpus handling
            > tools (i.e. our pali-alphabetical sorting algorithm etc.)
            >
            > Some questions for a starter:
            >
            > 1.) which editions you are going to use (it might be necessary to make an
            > automated diff-list to see, which words differ in those editions of the
            > Patimokkha) - VRI, Thai and Sinhalese editions are all electronically
            > available, so they could be used
            >
            > 2.) Extraction of unique terms is no problem. I could also generate a
            > reverse sorted list, so its easier to edit them according to "grammatical
            > class"
            >
            > Finally, i have a question regarding the licensing of the CPD. Is it or
            > will it be "open source". I am asking, because till now, we use the
            > Buddhadatta's dictionary for instance in the Pali Text Reader because the
            > PED is still "closed for redistribution" due to copyright issues. Does the
            > same apply to the CPD? Or wont it be a problem to use the CPD later on in
            > open source applications?
            >
            > mettâya,
            >
            > Lennart

            mail.dk <oleholtenpind%40mail.dk>>

            <http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=41342&pa
            rtner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!