frequency sorted Pali word list

  • lenni_lop
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2006
      Dear friends in Dhamma,

      Just uploaded a zip file containing a comprehensive Pali word list
      sorted by frequency. Anyone interested, feel free to download and use
      for whatever purpose:

      http://www.nibbanam.com/pali_language_tools.html#freqList

      mettâya,

      Lennart
    • Ole Holten Pind
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2006
        Many thanks Lennart. I am planning to continue the Critical Pali Dictionary,
        Copenhagen 1924-, which, unfortunately, is to be discontinued. At the
        moment I am involved in making the CPD available on the server of the
        University of Copenhagen and turning the project into a netbased dictionary.
        This will take some time, but it should be available in the near future. My
        plan is continue the CPD covering the complete vocabulary of one canonical
        text at the time. In this way one gets around the problem of not covering
        the complete vocabulary of the canon before the last volume has been
        published in the remote future. My first choise is the vocabulary of the
        Patimokkha. Would it be possible for you to extract the total vocabulary of
        this important text ? That would be an important contribution to Pali
        lexicography. It could be published as an overview of the vocabulary, and
        serve as an introduction to the subsequent lexicographical treatment.

        Ole Pind

        _____

        Just uploaded a zip file containing a comprehensive Pali word list
        sorted by frequency. Anyone interested, feel free to download and use
        for whatever purpose:

        http://www.nibbanam
        <http://www.nibbanam.com/pali_language_tools.html#freqList>
        .com/pali_language_tools.html#freqList

        mettâya,

        Lennart

        <http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=50299&pa
        rtner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 10, 2006
          Dear Lennart and Ole,

          sadhu.

          I like to thank Lennart for his continous effort in putting the word
          lists. We have seen several lists in this group, the on-going effort
          undertaken by a few individuals, and Lennart is one. The word lists
          are useful references for Pali students and scholars at all levels.

          I also like to thank Ole for his decision to build upon the CPD and
          offer it as an open-source dictionary to all web-users.
          Coincidentally, Ole's plan to cover the vocabulary of one text at a
          time is the same approach I am taking for Pali Scope!. I consider it a
          good plan. ;-) I wish you success, and please keep us informed of the
          progress.