fonts for Buddha Jayanti edition

  • jhuynen
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2006
      Hello everybody,

      I have been trying -succesfully- to download the Buddha Jayanti
      Edition of the Tipitaka, as I need it to compare with the VRI and PTS
      editions. I have also, following the instructions of the JBE site,
      tried to download the "utf8-htlm-zip" fonts but unhappily I get small
      triangles instead of the diacritics.

      What should I do ? And corollary questions are "utf8 fonts" identical
      with the "Indic Times? with "tm-norm.zip" ?

      Thanks with Metta,

      J.Huynen
    • Dhammanando Bhikkhu
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2006
        Hi J. Huyen,

        >I have been trying -succesfully- to download the Buddha Jayanti
        Edition of the Tipitaka, as I need it to compare with the VRI and PTS
        editions. I have also, following the instructions of the JBE site,
        tried to download the "utf8-htlm-zip" fonts but unhappily I get small
        triangles instead of the diacritics.

        What should I do ?

        One option would be to download the Buddha Jayanti Tipitaka from here:
        http://www.metta.lk/tipitaka/index.html where it is still formatted in
        the original Leeds Bit Pali font. This can be downloaded from the
        Washington Vihara website:
        http://www.buddhistvihara.com/online/fonts.zip

        Then if you want the two editions to be in the same font use some
        search-&-replace program or your word-processor to change the accented
        characters of one or the other edition.

        >And corollary questions are "utf8 fonts" identical with the "Indic
        Times? with "tm-norm.zip" ?

        No. Normyn and Mytimes are not unicode fonts.

        Best wishes,
        Dhammanando
      • Jacques Huynen
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 7, 2006
          Hello Venerable,

          And thanks for the the leads. In the mean time I had
          found a temporary solution that helped me to continue
          : copying the passage on which I am working (DN III)
          in a Word file. I was surprised to see that Word
          autimatically transliterates the text using its "MSN
          Arial Unicode fonts" and the result is fine. But it
          will of course be better to be able to directly access
          to the BJT text with all diacritics.

          If I may, I would like to ask you 2 more questions
          related to the text itself:

          1. Do you know why the BJT gives in the text reference
          to the PTS numering system (as well as its own paper
          support pages) and NOT to the VRI DN paragraph numbers
          ?

          2. I have gone through DN III (Cakkavattîsutta)and
          inserted the corresponding VRI paragraph nunmbers -
          from 80 to 110 - and titles (for comparison sake). I
          was puzzled to see that when VRI 90 covers 2 "alineas"
          (about 20 lines) the corresponding text stretch in BJT
          covers more than 20 PAGES !

          Do you have any cues about what could be an very long
          interpolation in the Sinhalese versions of the
          Tipitaka or an equally long missing in the Burmese or
          VIth Council tradition ?

          If not and if possible, you would be kind to forward
          this part of my message to whomever might be able to
          provide element of answers to these last 2 questions.

          With Thanks and Regards,

          Jacques Huynen

          --- Dhammanando Bhikkhu <dhammanando@...>

          http://mail.yahoo.com