Re: [Pali] Questions

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2006
      I like Gethin's "Foundations of Buddhism" excellent from a beginner. It is
      strongly based on the Pali texts, but also has perspectives of other schools
      in its historical approach.

      His doctrine section is very good.

      Piya

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2006
        Oh yes, you can also access new translations of Pali Suttas with notes at
        dharmafarer.googlepages.com.

        On 10/2/06, Patrick <cynical12345@...> wrote:

        > Greetings everyone,
        >
        > I am new to the list. I have been trying to research the historical
        > teachings of Gotoma for some time, and the Pali Texts, I found your
        > group on yahoo and decided to join, in the hope that I will learn more
        > about these issues.
        >
        > Is there a book anyone would recommend as a synopsis of Buddha's
        > teachings on the core issues of his philosophy based on the Pali
        > texts? I have found stores selling English translations of the Pali
        > Texts but they tend to be very expensive. I do not speak Pali yet.
        >
        > Does anyone know if there are any Buddhist organizations or sects
        > today which rely exclusively on the Pali texts for their beliefs and
        > practice?
        >
        > Thank you very much for your help.
        >
        > Patrick

      • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2006
          Hello Pali friends,

          I have come upon the

          A_History_Of_Pali_Literature

          Bimala_Churn_Law

          http://tera-3.ul.cs.cmu.edu/cgi-bin/DBscripts/metainfo.cgi?id=35453
          http://tera-3.ul.cs.cmu.edu/cgi-bin/DBscripts/metainfo.cgi?id=35454

          Pali Vyakaran (not sure whether it is about Pali)

          http://tera-3.ul.cs.cmu.edu/cgi-bin/DBscripts/metainfo.cgi?id=5097

          Metta, Dmytro
        • John Kelly
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 4, 2006
            Dear Patrick,

            Welcome to the group!

            In my opinion, by far the best book that describes the teachings of
            the Buddha based solely on the Pali texts is Bhikkhu Bodhi's recent
            anthology "In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the
            Pali Canon". In this book he has selected and arranged discourses in
            a systematic and structured way that gives a thorough grounding in the
            teachings of the Buddha - in his own words, in excellent modern
            English translation, and with lucid and clarifying introductory
            material from Bhikkhu Bodhi. And the book is very cheap to buy from
            Amazon, and possibly other places.

            http://www.amazon.com/Buddhas-Words-Anthology-Discourses-Teachings/dp/0861714911/sr=1-1/qid=1160010528/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-7507368-3799044?ie=UTF8&s=books

            http://www.wisdompubs.org

            With metta,