Questions

  • Patrick
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2006
      Greetings everyone,

      I am new to the list. I have been trying to research the historical
      teachings of Gotoma for some time, and the Pali Texts, I found your
      group on yahoo and decided to join, in the hope that I will learn more
      about these issues.

      Is there a book anyone would recommend as a synopsis of Buddha's
      teachings on the core issues of his philosophy based on the Pali
      texts? I have found stores selling English translations of the Pali
      Texts but they tend to be very expensive. I do not speak Pali yet.

      Does anyone know if there are any Buddhist organizations or sects
      today which rely exclusively on the Pali texts for their beliefs and
      practice?

      Thank you very much for your help.

      Patrick
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2006
        I like Gethin's "Foundations of Buddhism" excellent from a beginner. It is
        strongly based on the Pali texts, but also has perspectives of other schools
        in its historical approach.

        His doctrine section is very good.

        Piya

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2006
          Oh yes, you can also access new translations of Pali Suttas with notes at
          dharmafarer.googlepages.com.

          On 10/2/06, Patrick <cynical12345@...> wrote:

          > Greetings everyone,
          >
          > I am new to the list. I have been trying to research the historical
          > teachings of Gotoma for some time, and the Pali Texts, I found your
          > group on yahoo and decided to join, in the hope that I will learn more
          > about these issues.
          >
          > Is there a book anyone would recommend as a synopsis of Buddha's
          > teachings on the core issues of his philosophy based on the Pali
          > texts? I have found stores selling English translations of the Pali
          > Texts but they tend to be very expensive. I do not speak Pali yet.
          >
          > Does anyone know if there are any Buddhist organizations or sects
          > today which rely exclusively on the Pali texts for their beliefs and
          > practice?
          >
          > Thank you very much for your help.
          >
          > Patrick

        • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 4, 2006
            Welcome Patrick,

            > Is there a book anyone would recommend as a synopsis of Buddha's
            > teachings on the core issues of his philosophy based on the Pali
            > texts?

            I would recommend "The Buddhist Path to Awakening" by Rupert Gethin.

            http://www.bris.ac.uk/thrs/staff/rg.html
            http://www.amazon.com/Buddhist-Path-Awakening-M-Gethin/dp/1851682856
            http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?CatNumber=4899

            > Does anyone know if there are any Buddhist organizations or sects
            > today which rely exclusively on the Pali texts for their beliefs and
            > practice?

            There are. You can find some organizations in the Sadhu! directory
            http://dhamma.ru/sadhu/

            Good luck, Dmytro
          • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2006
              Hello Pali friends,

              I have come upon the

              A_History_Of_Pali_Literature

              Bimala_Churn_Law

              http://tera-3.ul.cs.cmu.edu/cgi-bin/DBscripts/metainfo.cgi?id=35453
              http://tera-3.ul.cs.cmu.edu/cgi-bin/DBscripts/metainfo.cgi?id=35454

              Pali Vyakaran (not sure whether it is about Pali)

              http://tera-3.ul.cs.cmu.edu/cgi-bin/DBscripts/metainfo.cgi?id=5097

              Metta, Dmytro
            • John Kelly
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 4, 2006
                Dear Patrick,

                Welcome to the group!

                In my opinion, by far the best book that describes the teachings of
                the Buddha based solely on the Pali texts is Bhikkhu Bodhi's recent
                anthology "In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the
                Pali Canon". In this book he has selected and arranged discourses in
                a systematic and structured way that gives a thorough grounding in the
                teachings of the Buddha - in his own words, in excellent modern
                English translation, and with lucid and clarifying introductory
                material from Bhikkhu Bodhi. And the book is very cheap to buy from
                Amazon, and possibly other places.

                http://www.amazon.com/Buddhas-Words-Anthology-Discourses-Teachings/dp/0861714911/sr=1-1/qid=1160010528/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-7507368-3799044?ie=UTF8&s=books

                http://www.wisdompubs.org

                With metta,