VRI CD-ROM

  • jhuynen
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 25, 2006
      Hello Friends,

      I am in the process of learning to manage the VRI CD-ROM edition of
      the Tipitaka (2.0). It is going fairly well but I have 2 or 3
      questions to those who are more familiar with it.

      1. I wonder what mean, when I activate de F (for footnotes), the
      abbreviations "syaa, ka, pii, sii and bahuuse", all between
      parentheses. I suppose as the accompany variant readings of the text
      that they refer to the different versions that were compiled during
      the VIth Council proceedings, but can't find anywhere what these
      abbreviations precisely mean. Would "syaa" or "sii" refer to the
      Siamese version, and "ka" to the Cambodian one ? But what then about
      the "bahusuu" and "pii" ?

      2. I read somewhere, perhaps on this site, that the VIth Council
      version does'nt differ much from the Vth Burmese Council at the end
      of the 19th century, as in 1955-57, the Burmese got their reading
      accepted in most cases debated. Would anyone have precisions on that.

      3. A more technical problem: when I want to look up the CD
      dictinary, accesse is refused and the programme closes down...

      Yours in the Dhamma,

      Jacques Huynen
    • Frank Snow
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 26, 2006
        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "jhuynen" <jhuynen@...> wrote:

        > 1. I wonder what mean, when I activate de F (for footnotes), the
        > abbreviations "syaa, ka, pii, sii and bahuuse", all between
        > parentheses. I suppose as the accompany variant readings of the text
        > that they refer to the different versions that were compiled during
        > the VIth Council proceedings, but can't find anywhere what these
        > abbreviations precisely mean. Would "syaa" or "sii" refer to the
        > Siamese version, and "ka" to the Cambodian one ? But what then about
        > the "bahusuu" and "pii" ?

        Syaa = Thai
        Sii = Sinhalese
        Ka = Cambodian
        Pii = PTS
        Bahusuu = ???

        > 3. A more technical problem: when I want to look up the CD
        > dictinary, accesse is refused and the programme closes down...

        You might want to try CSCD version 3.0. Email me at fsnow at fsnow dot
        com and I will make available to you for download.

        Frank
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 27, 2006
          "bahusuu" probably means "in most MSS".

          Piya