New Book: A Pali Grammar for Students

  • Bankei
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2006
      Steven Collins made an announcement of his new book on the H Buddhism list.
      I may have missed it, but haven't seen it mentioned on this list, so i
      reproduce the announcement below:

      http://h-net.msu.edu/cgi-bin/logbrowse.pl?trx=vx&list=h-buddhism&month=0609&week=c&msg=Pv2zVCiT2zIe3D2OYH7dFA&user=&pw
      =

      I would like to announce the publication of my book

      A Pali Grammar for Students (2006)

      by Silkworm Press, Chiang Mai, priced at 695 baht
      (http://www.silkwormbooks.info). <http://www.silkwormbooks.info%29./>

      Silkworm's books are distributed in the USA by the
      University of Washington Press, priced at $30.00
      (http://www.washington.edu/uwpress).
      <http://www.washington.edu/uwpress%29.> I don't know if
      there are similar arrangements with other presses in
      other countries.

      The back cover blurb says:

      This book is intended for modern students, inside or
      outside the classroom, as a work of reference rather
      than a "teach yourself" textbook. It presents an
      introductory sketch of Pali using both European and
      South Asian grammatical categories. In English
      language works, Pali is standardly presented in the
      traditional terms of English grammar, derived fron the
      Classical tradition, with which many modern students
      are unfamiliar. This work discusses and reflects upon
      those categories, and has an Appendix devoted to them.
      It also introduces the main categories of traditional
      Sanskrit and Pali grammar, drawing in particular on
      the medieval Pali text _Saddaniti_, by Aggavamsa. Each
      grammatical form is illustrated by examples taken from
      Pali texts, mostly canonical. Although some previous
      knowledge of Sanskrit would be helpful, the book is
      meant also to be usable by those without previous
      linguistic training. A bibliographical Appendix
      refers to other, complementary resources.

      Steven Collins
      University of Chicagos-collins@...