Re: Noble disciples' vipassana

  • Khemaramsi
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 20, 2006
      Dear Bhante

      Many thanks for your reply.
      The message you sent is still a mass, but we could tell which Pali passage in Visuddhimagga you're reffering to . In The Path of Purification, XXII, 22, page 700, there is passage describing how a stream-enterer attains the second fruit. It mentions no udayabbaya~naa.na, but 'vipassanaaviithi.m ogaahati' is said. Could it be possible that this passage is what Mahasi Sayadaw had in his mind?

      with metta

      Tzungkuen
      _,_._,___

      Sotthi te hotu sabbadaa 願幸福永遠伴隨您May there always be happiness for you
    • dhammanando_bhikkhu
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 21, 2006
        Hi Tzungkuen,

        > Many thanks for your reply.
        > The message you sent is still a mass, but we could tell which Pali
        passage in Visuddhimagga you're reffering to .

        I have no idea why all the spaces in my post were changed to
        gibberish; the post was written in the same way that I always do. :-(

        >In The Path of Purification, XXII, 22, page 700, there is passage
        describing how a stream-enterer attains the second fruit. It mentions
        no udayabbaya~naa.na, but 'vipassanaaviithi.m ogaahati' is said. Could
        it be possible that this passage is what Mahasi Sayadaw had in his mind?

        Yes, I think this would be complementary to the one I posted. Teachers
        of the Mahasi method claim that when a sotaapanna strives for the
        higher paths and fruits he skips the first three ~naa.nas, for these
        are already present in every ~naa.nasampayutta citta.

        Best wishes (and apologies if this post also comes out as gibberish).

        Dhammanando