Noble disciples' vipassana

  • Khemaramsi
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 20, 2006
      Dear friends

      Does anyone happen to know any commentarial reference to the following claim?

      --------------
      Ariyapuggalaana.m hi vipassantaana.m pat.hama.m udayabbaya~naan.ameva uppajjatii'ti ayamettha dhammataa. (Mahasi Sayadaw's The Progress of Insight)

      When the Noble Disciples (namely, tream-winners, etc.) resume the practice of Insight, the Knowledge of Arising and Passing Away usually arises at the beginning. This is the usual course of order in this respect. (Nyanaponika's translation)
      ---------------------

      I know there is a reference in The Path of Freedom (Vimuttimagga) page 306, which says

      'Dwelling in this stage [ i.e. Stream-entrance], that yogin endeavours further wishing to obtain the Fruit of Once-return, and he sees birth, desturction and the rest.

      with metta

      Tzungkuen

      Sotthi te hotu sabbadaa 願幸福永遠伴隨您May there always be happiness for you
    • dhammanando_bhikkhu
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 20, 2006
        Hi Tzungkuen, > Does anyone happen to know any commentarial reference to the following claim? > > -------------- > Ariyapuggalaana.m hi vipassantaana.m pat.hama.m udayabbaya~naan.ameva uppajjatii'ti ayamettha dhammataa. (Mahasi Sayadaw's The Progress of Insight) > > When the Noble Disciples (namely, tream-winners, etc.) resume the practice of Insight, the Knowledge of Arising and Passing Away usually arises at the beginning. This is the usual course of order in this respect. (Nyanaponika's translation) I would guess the Sayadaw has Visuddhimagga 863 (Path of Purification XXIII 10) in mind. ayampanettha samaapajjanakkamo. phalasamaapattatthikena hi ariyasaavakena rahogatena pa.tisalliinena udayabbayaadivasena sa`nkhaaraa vipassitabbaa. tassa pavattaanupubbavipassanassa sa`nkhaaraaramma.nagotrabhu~naa.naanantaraa phalasamaapattivasena nirodhe citta.m appeti. phalasamaapattininnataaya cettha sekkhassaapi phalameva uppajjati, na maggo. And its .tiikaa: _udayabbayaadivasenaa_ ti udayabbayabha`ngabhayatupa.t.thaanaadivasena pavattanakaana.m navannampi ~naa.naana.m byaapaara.m vadati. tenaaha _"pavattaanupubbavipassanassaa"_ ti. Best wishes, Dhammanando
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 20, 2006
          Venerable Dhammanando,
          the script does not come out all right.
          With respect,
          Nina.
          Op 20-sep-2006, om 20:25 heeft dhammanando_bhikkhu het volgende
          geschreven:

          > Hi Tzungkuen, > Does anyone happen to know any
          > commentarial reference to the following claim? >
          > > -

        • dhammanando_bhikkhu
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 20, 2006
            Hi Nina, > Venerable Dhammanando, > the script does not come out all right. > With respect, Sorry, I have no idea how that happened. Let me try again... I would guess the Sayadaw has Visuddhimagga 863 (Path of Purification XXIII 10) in mind. ayampanettha samaapajjanakkamo. phalasamaapattatthikena hi ariyasaavakena rahogatena pa.tisalliinena udayabbayaadivasena sa`nkhaaraa vipassitabbaa. tassa pavattaanupubbavipassanassa sa`nkhaaraaramma.nagotrabhu~naa.naanantaraa phalasamaapattivasena nirodhe citta.m appeti. phalasamaapattininnataaya cettha sekkhassaapi phalameva uppajjati, na maggo. And its .tiikaa: _udayabbayaadivasenaa_ ti udayabbayabha`ngabhayatupa.t.thaanaadivasena pavattanakaana.m navannampi ~naa.naana.m byaapaara.m vadati. tenaaha _"pavattaanupubbavipassanassaa"_ ti. Best wishes, Dhammanando
          • Khemaramsi
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 20, 2006
              Dear Bhante

              Many thanks for your reply.
              The message you sent is still a mass, but we could tell which Pali passage in Visuddhimagga you're reffering to . In The Path of Purification, XXII, 22, page 700, there is passage describing how a stream-enterer attains the second fruit. It mentions no udayabbaya~naa.na, but 'vipassanaaviithi.m ogaahati' is said. Could it be possible that this passage is what Mahasi Sayadaw had in his mind?

              with metta

              Tzungkuen
              _,_._,___

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 21, 2006
                Hi Tzungkuen,

                > Many thanks for your reply.
                > The message you sent is still a mass, but we could tell which Pali
                passage in Visuddhimagga you're reffering to .

                I have no idea why all the spaces in my post were changed to
                gibberish; the post was written in the same way that I always do. :-(

                >In The Path of Purification, XXII, 22, page 700, there is passage
                describing how a stream-enterer attains the second fruit. It mentions
                no udayabbaya~naa.na, but 'vipassanaaviithi.m ogaahati' is said. Could
                it be possible that this passage is what Mahasi Sayadaw had in his mind?

                Yes, I think this would be complementary to the one I posted. Teachers
                of the Mahasi method claim that when a sotaapanna strives for the
                higher paths and fruits he skips the first three ~naa.nas, for these
                are already present in every ~naa.nasampayutta citta.

                Best wishes (and apologies if this post also comes out as gibberish).

                Dhammanando