Re: [Pali] Re: particles, particles!

  • johnny pruitt
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 19, 2006
      Yes the contexts surely due change the meaning such as the particle ca when it means "but" and when it means "and". Nevertheless, what I was aspiring to due was isolate the particles and then deduce what the combinations meant. Does this seem unrealistic?

      Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote: Dear Yong Peng,
      thank you very much for the links. In the first link there are
      already several examples. Perhaps Johnny can give more contexts,
      since these influence the meaning.
      Nina.
      Op 17-sep-2006, om 7:16 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

      > Dear Nina and Johnny,
      >
      > the Word-by-word series is available from this page:
      > http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/paliww/wordload.php?word=001
      >
      > There is also a bulk of discussion in the archive. A recommended
      > starting points:

    • gini g
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 5, 2010
        i'm new in here and i'm looking for a translation to pali.
        i would like to translate this sentece:

        you are buddha

        i would like to have in in the pali alphabet.
        can someone help me?
        thank you
        andrew
      • Dhammadarsa
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 24, 2010
          Hi Andrew

          This is a little more complicated as it seems.

          tva'm buddho [hosi, bhavasi] in Roman Script. You can choose either of the
          verbs in brackets, or leave both out.

          Pali doesn't have a script of its own, as far as we know, as it was a spoken
          language. It adopted the scripts of the countries that it went to. So for
          westerners we use Roman script. To type in other scripts usually requires
          special setup on one's computer and it is not guaranteed that it will
          display properly on your computer, as you need the font, unless one takes a
          screenshot of the typing on the author's computer and sends it as a picture
          or saves the typing as a PDF. In the latter case, there would be a lot of
          blank space in the document.

          In case you find someone with the necessary setup, you would have to let the
          person know what script you want and exactly what words you want, e.g.
          include either of the verbs above or not.

          Kind Regards

          <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> Integrating Emotion and Intellect =
          Intelligence

          Dhammadarsa [Darsa] Bhikkhu
          Buddhist Monk

          Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University
          Wang Noi
          Ayuthaya
          Thailand

          <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa

          mobile:

          +66850941669

          <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=210453914412&src=client_sig_212_1_card_join&
          invite=1&lang=en> Always have my latest info

          <http://www.plaxo.com/signature?src=client_sig_212_1_card_sig&lang=en> Want
          a signature like this?

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 27, 2010
            Dear Ven. Dhammadarsa and Andrew,

            hello. It is already difficult for many to comprehend the evolution of life, let alone the evolution of language and human linguistic ability.

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 28, 2010
              Kind Yong Peng and Andrew

              Maybe understanding the evolution of language and human linguistic ability
              is part of understanding life, since the former are part of the latter.

              --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Pali%40yahoogroups.com> , Dhammadarsa