Re: Three types of self

  • keren_arbel
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 18, 2006
      Dear Piya and Nina,

      Thank you for the clarification and the website.

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Piya Tan" <dharmafarer@...> wrote:

      > Keren,
      >
      > You might also like to refer to an annotated translation of the
      Potthapada
      > Sutta in dharmafarer.googlepages.com in the Introduction and the
      relevant
      > section. Click on the Digha icon, and you will find a number of
      annotated
      > translations of the Digha suttas.
      >
      > Happy reading and awakening.
      >
      > Piya
      >
      > For Sutta translations with notes, cross-references, comparative
      study,
      > biblio, etc, go to
      >
      > dharmafarer.googlepages.com
      >

      > On 9/18/06, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Dear Keren,
      > > This passage is about Po.t.thapaada's belief in a soul. My PTS
      gives
      > > footnotes. The coarse one is a material soul, having rupa. We
      have to
      > > look at the Brahmajala sutta for such theories.
      > > The mind-made is also material, but very subtle.
      > > The aruupi is without ruupa, only mental.
      > > Thus this is in the context of theories about the soul or attaa.
      > > Nina.
      > > Op 17-sep-2006, om 8:08 heeft keren_arbel het volgende
      geschreven:

      > > > I have a question regarding a passage in DN I.186-199.
      > > > Po.t.thapaada is declaring three types of self, and then the
      Buddha
      > > > is elaborating on this "acquired self" (attaa patilaabha):
      > > > the ol.aariko, the manomaya.m & the aruupi.m.
      > > >
      > > > It is the first time I see this analysis and I'm not sure what
      it
      > > > means.

    • P G Dave
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 19, 2006
        Piya,

        downloaded the .doc files from these links but they give an error while
        attempting to open:

        D 2 Samannaphala Sutta
        sd8.10<http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com/10SamannaphalaSd2piya.doc>(The
        Buddha heals a father-killer's mind)

        D 9 Potthapada Sutta
        sd7.14<http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com/14PotthapadaSd09piya.doc>
        (The nature of consciousness and the self)
        pl rectify and advise.

        much metta
        ____________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 19, 2006
          I have uploaded the 2 files again: hope it works this time. Otherwise, you
          may have to try downloading a few times because of the size.

          Piya

          On 9/19/06, P G Dave <pgd2507@...> wrote:

          > Piya,
          >
          > downloaded the .doc files from these links but they give an error while
          > attempting to open:
          >
          > D 2 Samannaphala Sutta
          > sd8.10<http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com/10SamannaphalaSd2piya.doc>(The
          > Buddha heals a father-killer's mind)
          >
          > D 9 Potthapada Sutta
          > sd7.14<http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com/14PotthapadaSd09piya.doc>
          > (The nature of consciousness and the self)
          > pl rectify and advise.
          >
          > much metta
          > ____________________
          >
          > On 9/18/06, Piya Tan <dharmafarer@... <dharmafarer%40gmail.com>>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Keren,
          > >
          > > You might also like to refer to an annotated translation of the
          > Potthapada
          > > Sutta in dharmafarer.googlepages.com in the Introduction and the
          > relevant
          > > section. Click on the Digha icon, and you will find a number of
          > annotated
          > > translations of the Digha suttas.
          > >
          > > Happy reading and awakening.
          > >
          > > Piya
          > >
          > > For Sutta translations with notes, cross-references, comparative study,
          > > biblio, etc, go to
          > >
          > > dharmafarer.googlepages.com
          > >

          > > On 9/18/06, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@... <vangorko%40xs4all.nl>>
          > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Dear Keren,
          > > > This passage is about Po.t.thapaada's belief in a soul. My PTS gives
          > > > footnotes. The coarse one is a material soul, having rupa. We have to
          > > > look at the Brahmajala sutta for such theories.
          > > > The mind-made is also material, but very subtle.
          > > > The aruupi is without ruupa, only mental.
          > > > Thus this is in the context of theories about the soul or attaa.
          > > > Nina.
          > > > Op 17-sep-2006, om 8:08 heeft keren_arbel het volgende geschreven:

        • P G Dave
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 19, 2006
            thanks, Piya.

            I d/loaded the fresh files and they are now opening.
            some of the other files on that page are giving trouble too. might be better
            if u upload them as well.

            much metta.

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 19, 2006
              Pramod,

              It's all in dharmafarer.googlepages.com if you look carefully.

              Piya