Re: [Pali] Three types of self

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 18, 2006
      Dear Keren,
      This passage is about Po.t.thapaada's belief in a soul. My PTS gives
      footnotes. The coarse one is a material soul, having rupa. We have to
      look at the Brahmajala sutta for such theories.
      The mind-made is also material, but very subtle.
      The aruupi is without ruupa, only mental.
      Thus this is in the context of theories about the soul or attaa.
      Nina.
      Op 17-sep-2006, om 8:08 heeft keren_arbel het volgende geschreven:

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 18, 2006
        Keren,

        You might also like to refer to an annotated translation of the Potthapada
        Sutta in dharmafarer.googlepages.com in the Introduction and the relevant
        section. Click on the Digha icon, and you will find a number of annotated
        translations of the Digha suttas.

        Happy reading and awakening.

        Piya

        For Sutta translations with notes, cross-references, comparative study,
        biblio, etc, go to

        On 9/18/06, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:

        > Dear Keren,
        > This passage is about Po.t.thapaada's belief in a soul. My PTS gives
        > footnotes. The coarse one is a material soul, having rupa. We have to
        > look at the Brahmajala sutta for such theories.
        > The mind-made is also material, but very subtle.
        > The aruupi is without ruupa, only mental.
        > Thus this is in the context of theories about the soul or attaa.
        > Nina.
        > Op 17-sep-2006, om 8:08 heeft keren_arbel het volgende geschreven:
        >

        > > I have a question regarding a passage in DN I.186-199.
        > > Po.t.thapaada is declaring three types of self, and then the Buddha
        > > is elaborating on this "acquired self" (attaa patilaabha):
        > > the ol.aariko, the manomaya.m & the aruupi.m.
        > >
        > > It is the first time I see this analysis and I'm not sure what it
        > > means.

      • keren_arbel
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 18, 2006
          Dear Piya and Nina,

          Thank you for the clarification and the website.

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Piya Tan" <dharmafarer@...> wrote:

          > Keren,
          >
          > You might also like to refer to an annotated translation of the
          Potthapada
          > Sutta in dharmafarer.googlepages.com in the Introduction and the
          relevant
          > section. Click on the Digha icon, and you will find a number of
          annotated
          > translations of the Digha suttas.
          >
          > Happy reading and awakening.
          >
          > Piya
          >
          > For Sutta translations with notes, cross-references, comparative
          study,
          > biblio, etc, go to
          >
          > dharmafarer.googlepages.com
          >

          > On 9/18/06, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Dear Keren,
          > > This passage is about Po.t.thapaada's belief in a soul. My PTS
          gives
          > > footnotes. The coarse one is a material soul, having rupa. We
          have to
          > > look at the Brahmajala sutta for such theories.
          > > The mind-made is also material, but very subtle.
          > > The aruupi is without ruupa, only mental.
          > > Thus this is in the context of theories about the soul or attaa.
          > > Nina.
          > > Op 17-sep-2006, om 8:08 heeft keren_arbel het volgende
          geschreven:

          > > > I have a question regarding a passage in DN I.186-199.
          > > > Po.t.thapaada is declaring three types of self, and then the
          Buddha
          > > > is elaborating on this "acquired self" (attaa patilaabha):
          > > > the ol.aariko, the manomaya.m & the aruupi.m.
          > > >
          > > > It is the first time I see this analysis and I'm not sure what
          it
          > > > means.

        • P G Dave
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 19, 2006
            Piya,

            downloaded the .doc files from these links but they give an error while
            attempting to open:

            D 2 Samannaphala Sutta
            sd8.10<http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com/10SamannaphalaSd2piya.doc>(The
            Buddha heals a father-killer's mind)

            D 9 Potthapada Sutta
            sd7.14<http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com/14PotthapadaSd09piya.doc>
            (The nature of consciousness and the self)
            pl rectify and advise.

            much metta
            ____________________

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 19, 2006
              I have uploaded the 2 files again: hope it works this time. Otherwise, you
              may have to try downloading a few times because of the size.

              Piya

              On 9/19/06, P G Dave <pgd2507@...> wrote:

              > Piya,
              >
              > downloaded the .doc files from these links but they give an error while
              > attempting to open:
              >
              > D 2 Samannaphala Sutta
              > sd8.10<http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com/10SamannaphalaSd2piya.doc>(The
              > Buddha heals a father-killer's mind)
              >
              > D 9 Potthapada Sutta
              > sd7.14<http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com/14PotthapadaSd09piya.doc>
              > (The nature of consciousness and the self)
              > pl rectify and advise.
              >
              > much metta
              > ____________________
              >
              > On 9/18/06, Piya Tan <dharmafarer@... <dharmafarer%40gmail.com>>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Keren,
              > >
              > > You might also like to refer to an annotated translation of the
              > Potthapada
              > > Sutta in dharmafarer.googlepages.com in the Introduction and the
              > relevant
              > > section. Click on the Digha icon, and you will find a number of
              > annotated
              > > translations of the Digha suttas.
              > >
              > > Happy reading and awakening.
              > >
              > > Piya
              > >
              > > For Sutta translations with notes, cross-references, comparative study,
              > > biblio, etc, go to
              > >
              > > dharmafarer.googlepages.com
              > >

              > > On 9/18/06, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@... <vangorko%40xs4all.nl>>
              > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Dear Keren,
              > > > This passage is about Po.t.thapaada's belief in a soul. My PTS gives
              > > > footnotes. The coarse one is a material soul, having rupa. We have to
              > > > look at the Brahmajala sutta for such theories.
              > > > The mind-made is also material, but very subtle.
              > > > The aruupi is without ruupa, only mental.
              > > > Thus this is in the context of theories about the soul or attaa.
              > > > Nina.
              > > > Op 17-sep-2006, om 8:08 heeft keren_arbel het volgende geschreven:

            • P G Dave
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 19, 2006
                thanks, Piya.

                I d/loaded the fresh files and they are now opening.
                some of the other files on that page are giving trouble too. might be better
                if u upload them as well.

                much metta.

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 19, 2006
                  Pramod,

                  It's all in dharmafarer.googlepages.com if you look carefully.

                  Piya