Re: particles, particles!

    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 16, 2006
      Dear Nina and Johnny,

      the Word-by-word series is available from this page:
      http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/paliww/wordload.php?word=001

      There is also a bulk of discussion in the archive. A recommended
      starting points:

      This exercise was later dropped for technical, logistic and personal
      reasons, which are more or less discussed in the archived messages.

      However, if there is anyone keen in reviving it, I am happy to share
      my experience.

      Yong Peng used to give us the word of the week with examples and
      particles were included. Perhaps he could help tracing these old
      posts? Long ago, they were very good.
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 18, 2006
        Dear Yong Peng,
        thank you very much for the links. In the first link there are
        already several examples. Perhaps Johnny can give more contexts,
        since these influence the meaning.
        Nina.
        Op 17-sep-2006, om 7:16 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

        > Dear Nina and Johnny,
        >
        > the Word-by-word series is available from this page:
        > http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/paliww/wordload.php?word=001
        >
        > There is also a bulk of discussion in the archive. A recommended
        > starting points:

      • johnny pruitt
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 19, 2006
          Yes the contexts surely due change the meaning such as the particle ca when it means "but" and when it means "and". Nevertheless, what I was aspiring to due was isolate the particles and then deduce what the combinations meant. Does this seem unrealistic?

          Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote: Dear Yong Peng,
          thank you very much for the links. In the first link there are
          already several examples. Perhaps Johnny can give more contexts,
          since these influence the meaning.
          Nina.
          Op 17-sep-2006, om 7:16 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

          > Dear Nina and Johnny,
          >
          > the Word-by-word series is available from this page:
          > http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/paliww/wordload.php?word=001
          >
          > There is also a bulk of discussion in the archive. A recommended
          > starting points:

        • gini g
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 5, 2010
            Dear friends,
            i'm new in here and i'm looking for a translation to pali.
            i would like to translate this sentece:

            you are buddha

            i would like to have in in the pali alphabet.
            can someone help me?
            thank you
            andrew
          • Dhammadarsa
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 24, 2010
              Hi Andrew

              This is a little more complicated as it seems.

              tva'm buddho [hosi, bhavasi] in Roman Script. You can choose either of the
              verbs in brackets, or leave both out.

              Pali doesn't have a script of its own, as far as we know, as it was a spoken
              language. It adopted the scripts of the countries that it went to. So for
              westerners we use Roman script. To type in other scripts usually requires
              special setup on one's computer and it is not guaranteed that it will
              display properly on your computer, as you need the font, unless one takes a
              screenshot of the typing on the author's computer and sends it as a picture
              or saves the typing as a PDF. In the latter case, there would be a lot of
              blank space in the document.

              In case you find someone with the necessary setup, you would have to let the
              person know what script you want and exactly what words you want, e.g.
              include either of the verbs above or not.

              Kind Regards

              <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> Integrating Emotion and Intellect =
              Intelligence

              Dhammadarsa [Darsa] Bhikkhu
              Buddhist Monk

              Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University
              Wang Noi
              Ayuthaya
              Thailand

              <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa

              mobile:

              +66850941669

              <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=210453914412&src=client_sig_212_1_card_join&
              invite=1&lang=en> Always have my latest info

              <http://www.plaxo.com/signature?src=client_sig_212_1_card_sig&lang=en> Want
              a signature like this?

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 27, 2010
                Dear Ven. Dhammadarsa and Andrew,

                hello. It is already difficult for many to comprehend the evolution of life, let alone the evolution of language and human linguistic ability.

                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 28, 2010
                  Kind Yong Peng and Andrew

                  Maybe understanding the evolution of language and human linguistic ability
                  is part of understanding life, since the former are part of the latter.

                  --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Pali%40yahoogroups.com> , Dhammadarsa