SV: SV: [Pali] Ariyasaavaka ?

  • Ole Holten Pind
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 16, 2006
      The Vibh-a 119 gloss interprets ariyasaavako as the disciple of an ariya viz. the (or a) Buddha. buddhassa is apposition to ariyassa. It is possible that the commentaries and subcommentaries describe a kalyaanaputhujjana as sekha. But this would reflect a considerably later view. It is definitely not canonical. The question is interesting though, and worth while investigating.
      By the way, the cursor is running amok!
      Ole Pind

      _____

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 20, 2006
        From: Steven Collins <scollins951@...>
        Subject: Pali Grammar
        Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006

        I would like to announce the publication of my book

        A Pali Grammar for Students (2006)

        by Silkworm Press, Chiang Mai, priced at 695 baht
        (http://www.silkwormbooks.info).

        Silkworm's books are distributed in the USA by the
        University of Washington Press, priced at $30.00
        (http://www.washington.edu/uwpress). I don't know if
        there are similar arrangements with other presses in
        other countries.

        The back cover blurb says:

        This book is intended for modern students, inside or
        outside the classroom, as a work of reference rather
        than a "teach yourself" textbook. It presents an
        introductory sketch of Pali using both European and
        South Asian grammatical categories. In English
        language works, Pali is standardly presented in the
        traditional terms of English grammar, derived fron the
        Classical tradition, with which many modern students
        are unfamiliar. This work discusses and reflects upon
        those categories, and has an Appendix devoted to them.
        It also introduces the main categories of traditional
        Sanskrit and Pali grammar, drawing in particular on
        the medieval Pali text _Saddaniti_, by Aggavamsa. Each
        grammatical form is illustrated by examples taken from
        Pali texts, mostly canonical. Although some previous
        knowledge of Sanskrit would be helpful, the book is
        meant also to be usable by those without previous
        linguistic training. A bibliographical Appendix
        refers to other, complementary resources.

        Steven Collins
        University of Chicago
        s-collins@...

        H-Buddhism (Buddhist Scholars Information Network)