Re: SV: [Pali] Ariyasaavaka ?

  • Khemaramsi
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 16, 2006
      Dear Dr. Pind and Nina

      Thanks for your reply. I think you're right, the passage from Anguttaranikaaya commentary is not the one I am looking for suggesting that ariyasaavaka sometimes could denote kalyaan.aputhujjana also.

      What do you think of the following passage?

      Vibha-a 119:
      Ariyasaavakoti ariyassa buddhassa saavako.

      Here Ariyasaavaka just denotes Buddha's disciple, including ariya and puthujjana.

      I remember taht there is a commentarial passage saying that 'sekha' sometimes could denote kalyaan.aputhujjana. Is that right? If this being the case, perhaps ariyasaavaka might denote kalyaan.aputhujjana too.

      with metta

      Tzungkuen

      Sotthi te hotu sabbadaa 願幸福永遠伴隨您May there always be happiness for you
    • Ole Holten Pind
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 16, 2006
        The Vibh-a 119 gloss interprets ariyasaavako as the disciple of an ariya viz. the (or a) Buddha. buddhassa is apposition to ariyassa. It is possible that the commentaries and subcommentaries describe a kalyaanaputhujjana as sekha. But this would reflect a considerably later view. It is definitely not canonical. The question is interesting though, and worth while investigating.
        By the way, the cursor is running amok!
        Ole Pind

        _____

        Thanks for your reply. I think you're right, the passage from Anguttaranikaaya commentary is not the one I am looking for suggesting that ariyasaavaka sometimes could denote kalyaan.aputhujjana also.

        What do you think of the following passage?

        Vibha-a 119:
        Ariyasaavakoti ariyassa buddhassa saavako.

        Here Ariyasaavaka just denotes Buddha's disciple, including ariya and puthujjana.

        I remember taht there is a commentarial passage saying that 'sekha' sometimes could denote kalyaan.aputhujjana. Is that right? If this being the case, perhaps ariyasaavaka might denote kalyaan.aputhujjana too.

        with metta

        Tzungkuen

        Sotthi te hotu sabbadaa 願幸福永遠伴隨您May there always be happiness for you

        <http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=20646&partner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

      • Bruce Burrill
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 20, 2006
          From: Steven Collins <scollins951@...>
          Subject: Pali Grammar
          Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006

          I would like to announce the publication of my book

          A Pali Grammar for Students (2006)

          by Silkworm Press, Chiang Mai, priced at 695 baht
          (http://www.silkwormbooks.info).

          Silkworm's books are distributed in the USA by the
          University of Washington Press, priced at $30.00
          (http://www.washington.edu/uwpress). I don't know if
          there are similar arrangements with other presses in
          other countries.

          The back cover blurb says:

          This book is intended for modern students, inside or
          outside the classroom, as a work of reference rather
          than a "teach yourself" textbook. It presents an
          introductory sketch of Pali using both European and
          South Asian grammatical categories. In English
          language works, Pali is standardly presented in the
          traditional terms of English grammar, derived fron the
          Classical tradition, with which many modern students
          are unfamiliar. This work discusses and reflects upon
          those categories, and has an Appendix devoted to them.
          It also introduces the main categories of traditional
          Sanskrit and Pali grammar, drawing in particular on
          the medieval Pali text _Saddaniti_, by Aggavamsa. Each
          grammatical form is illustrated by examples taken from
          Pali texts, mostly canonical. Although some previous
          knowledge of Sanskrit would be helpful, the book is
          meant also to be usable by those without previous
          linguistic training. A bibliographical Appendix
          refers to other, complementary resources.

          Steven Collins
          University of Chicago
          s-collins@...

          H-Buddhism (Buddhist Scholars Information Network)