Re: SV: [Pali] Ariyasaavaka ?

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 16, 2006
      Tzunkuen,
      Yes, because sutavaa does not merely imply hearing, but: intently
      listening, developing understanding and applying what one hears.
      The ariyan is described as one who has heard much, bahussutta. It
      also includes the right practice.
      Nina.
      Op 14-sep-2006, om 12:44 heeft Ole Holten Pind het volgende geschreven:

      > An ariyasaavaka (m.), ariyasaavikaa (f.) is assumed to be sutavaa
      > as opposed to puthujjanas, who are commonly described as assutavaa
      > and therefore asekha. This excludes, I believe, that the term
      > ariyasaavaka could in any way denote puthujjanas.

    • Khemaramsi
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 16, 2006
        Dear Dr. Pind and Nina

        Thanks for your reply. I think you're right, the passage from Anguttaranikaaya commentary is not the one I am looking for suggesting that ariyasaavaka sometimes could denote kalyaan.aputhujjana also.

        What do you think of the following passage?

        Vibha-a 119:
        Ariyasaavakoti ariyassa buddhassa saavako.

        Here Ariyasaavaka just denotes Buddha's disciple, including ariya and puthujjana.

        I remember taht there is a commentarial passage saying that 'sekha' sometimes could denote kalyaan.aputhujjana. Is that right? If this being the case, perhaps ariyasaavaka might denote kalyaan.aputhujjana too.

        with metta

        Tzungkuen

        Sotthi te hotu sabbadaa 願幸福永遠伴隨您May there always be happiness for you
      • Ole Holten Pind
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 16, 2006
          The Vibh-a 119 gloss interprets ariyasaavako as the disciple of an ariya viz. the (or a) Buddha. buddhassa is apposition to ariyassa. It is possible that the commentaries and subcommentaries describe a kalyaanaputhujjana as sekha. But this would reflect a considerably later view. It is definitely not canonical. The question is interesting though, and worth while investigating.
          By the way, the cursor is running amok!
          Ole Pind

          _____

          Thanks for your reply. I think you're right, the passage from Anguttaranikaaya commentary is not the one I am looking for suggesting that ariyasaavaka sometimes could denote kalyaan.aputhujjana also.

          What do you think of the following passage?

          Vibha-a 119:
          Ariyasaavakoti ariyassa buddhassa saavako.

          Here Ariyasaavaka just denotes Buddha's disciple, including ariya and puthujjana.

          I remember taht there is a commentarial passage saying that 'sekha' sometimes could denote kalyaan.aputhujjana. Is that right? If this being the case, perhaps ariyasaavaka might denote kalyaan.aputhujjana too.

          with metta

          Tzungkuen

          Sotthi te hotu sabbadaa 願幸福永遠伴隨您May there always be happiness for you

          <http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=20646&partner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

        • Bruce Burrill
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 20, 2006
            From: Steven Collins <scollins951@...>
            Subject: Pali Grammar
            Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006

            I would like to announce the publication of my book

            A Pali Grammar for Students (2006)

            by Silkworm Press, Chiang Mai, priced at 695 baht
            (http://www.silkwormbooks.info).

            Silkworm's books are distributed in the USA by the
            University of Washington Press, priced at $30.00
            (http://www.washington.edu/uwpress). I don't know if
            there are similar arrangements with other presses in
            other countries.

            The back cover blurb says:

            This book is intended for modern students, inside or
            outside the classroom, as a work of reference rather
            than a "teach yourself" textbook. It presents an
            introductory sketch of Pali using both European and
            South Asian grammatical categories. In English
            language works, Pali is standardly presented in the
            traditional terms of English grammar, derived fron the
            Classical tradition, with which many modern students
            are unfamiliar. This work discusses and reflects upon
            those categories, and has an Appendix devoted to them.
            It also introduces the main categories of traditional
            Sanskrit and Pali grammar, drawing in particular on
            the medieval Pali text _Saddaniti_, by Aggavamsa. Each
            grammatical form is illustrated by examples taken from
            Pali texts, mostly canonical. Although some previous
            knowledge of Sanskrit would be helpful, the book is
            meant also to be usable by those without previous
            linguistic training. A bibliographical Appendix
            refers to other, complementary resources.

            Steven Collins
            University of Chicago
            s-collins@...

            H-Buddhism (Buddhist Scholars Information Network)