Re: SV: [Pali] Pali Day by Day E080 (Ex22D)

    Message 1 of 219 , Sep 15, 2006
      Dear Gunnar and Florent,

      thanks for the discussion. Gunnar's explanation is wonderful. But, I
      am confused why 'naamo' is inserted for foreign names. Please advise.
      Thank you.

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Gunnar Gällmo wrote:

      > 9.His son, King George V reigned for 25 years and 10
      > months.
      > Tassa putto, pañcamo Georgenaamo bhuupati
      > pañcaviisati vasse dasa maase ca rajja.m akaasi.

      "Georgenaamo" mixes two languages in a way which is
      not common in canonical Pali, and I think it should be
      avoided.

      Non-Indian names are usually "palified" (e. g.
      Menandros>Milinda). Besides, Pali spelling (unlike
      English) is strictly phonetical, so the form "George"
      would mean it is actually pronounced g-e-o-r-g-e;
      however, the combination r+g is not common pali -
      marga>magga.

      If the name is assimilated as it is pronounced in
      official British English, the Pali spelling would be
      Joj; but I don't think a Pali name should finish with
      a consonant, so Joja would perhaps be better.

      One could also go back to the Latin form Georgius, but
      I think this would be difficult to palify.

      And Georgenaamo? Isn't "naama" an indeclinable? So
      "Jojo naama bhuupati" (or perhaps "Jojo naama raajaa",
      analogical to "Georgius Rex").
      Message 219 of 219 , Mar 8, 2007
        Dear Florent,

        allow me to suggest the following correction:
        Sattamo Edwardnaamo bhuupati chabbiisatiyaa vassaana.m upari kaala.m
        akaasi.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, flrobert2000 wrote:

        8. King Edward VII died 26 years ago.
        bhuupati / Edwardnaamo / sattamo / kaalam akaasi /
        chabbiisati / vasse / upari
        Sattamo Edwardnaamo bhuupati chabbisati vasse upari kaalam akaasi.