SV: [Pali] Ariyasaavaka ?

  • Ole Holten Pind
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 14, 2006
      An ariyasaavaka (m.), ariyasaavikaa (f.) is assumed to be sutavaa as opposed to puthujjanas, who are commonly described as assutavaa and therefore asekha. This excludes, I believe, that the term ariyasaavaka could in any way denote puthujjanas.
      Regards,
      Ole Holten Pind

      _____

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 16, 2006
        Tzunkuen,
        Yes, because sutavaa does not merely imply hearing, but: intently
        listening, developing understanding and applying what one hears.
        The ariyan is described as one who has heard much, bahussutta. It
        also includes the right practice.
        Nina.
        Op 14-sep-2006, om 12:44 heeft Ole Holten Pind het volgende geschreven:

        > An ariyasaavaka (m.), ariyasaavikaa (f.) is assumed to be sutavaa
        > as opposed to puthujjanas, who are commonly described as assutavaa
        > and therefore asekha. This excludes, I believe, that the term
        > ariyasaavaka could in any way denote puthujjanas.

      • Khemaramsi
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 16, 2006
          Dear Dr. Pind and Nina

          Thanks for your reply. I think you're right, the passage from Anguttaranikaaya commentary is not the one I am looking for suggesting that ariyasaavaka sometimes could denote kalyaan.aputhujjana also.

          What do you think of the following passage?

          Vibha-a 119:
          Ariyasaavakoti ariyassa buddhassa saavako.

          Here Ariyasaavaka just denotes Buddha's disciple, including ariya and puthujjana.

          I remember taht there is a commentarial passage saying that 'sekha' sometimes could denote kalyaan.aputhujjana. Is that right? If this being the case, perhaps ariyasaavaka might denote kalyaan.aputhujjana too.

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 16, 2006
            The Vibh-a 119 gloss interprets ariyasaavako as the disciple of an ariya viz. the (or a) Buddha. buddhassa is apposition to ariyassa. It is possible that the commentaries and subcommentaries describe a kalyaanaputhujjana as sekha. But this would reflect a considerably later view. It is definitely not canonical. The question is interesting though, and worth while investigating.
            By the way, the cursor is running amok!
            Ole Pind

            _____

            Thanks for your reply. I think you're right, the passage from Anguttaranikaaya commentary is not the one I am looking for suggesting that ariyasaavaka sometimes could denote kalyaan.aputhujjana also.

            What do you think of the following passage?

            Vibha-a 119:
            Ariyasaavakoti ariyassa buddhassa saavako.

            Here Ariyasaavaka just denotes Buddha's disciple, including ariya and puthujjana.

            I remember taht there is a commentarial passage saying that 'sekha' sometimes could denote kalyaan.aputhujjana. Is that right? If this being the case, perhaps ariyasaavaka might denote kalyaan.aputhujjana too.

            with metta

            Tzungkuen

            Sotthi te hotu sabbadaa 願幸福永遠伴隨您May there always be happiness for you

            <http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=20646&partner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

          • Bruce Burrill
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 20, 2006
              From: Steven Collins <scollins951@...>
              Subject: Pali Grammar
              Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006

              I would like to announce the publication of my book

              A Pali Grammar for Students (2006)

              by Silkworm Press, Chiang Mai, priced at 695 baht
              (http://www.silkwormbooks.info).

              Silkworm's books are distributed in the USA by the
              University of Washington Press, priced at $30.00
              (http://www.washington.edu/uwpress). I don't know if
              there are similar arrangements with other presses in
              other countries.

              The back cover blurb says:

              This book is intended for modern students, inside or
              outside the classroom, as a work of reference rather
              than a "teach yourself" textbook. It presents an
              introductory sketch of Pali using both European and
              South Asian grammatical categories. In English
              language works, Pali is standardly presented in the
              traditional terms of English grammar, derived fron the
              Classical tradition, with which many modern students
              are unfamiliar. This work discusses and reflects upon
              those categories, and has an Appendix devoted to them.
              It also introduces the main categories of traditional
              Sanskrit and Pali grammar, drawing in particular on
              the medieval Pali text _Saddaniti_, by Aggavamsa. Each
              grammatical form is illustrated by examples taken from
              Pali texts, mostly canonical. Although some previous
              knowledge of Sanskrit would be helpful, the book is
              meant also to be usable by those without previous
              linguistic training. A bibliographical Appendix
              refers to other, complementary resources.

              Steven Collins
              University of Chicago
              s-collins@...

              H-Buddhism (Buddhist Scholars Information Network)