Re: Pali Day by Day E081 (Ex23A)

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 219 , Sep 12, 2006
      Dear Florent,

      Thanks for keeping these series going. I spotted a couple of
      corrections and suggested improvements:

      > 1.Imesa.m dasanna.m dhanavantaana.m pañcamo sukha.m jiivati.
      > [of] these / 10 / rich ones / fifth / comfortably / lives
      > Out of these 10 riche ones the fifth lives comfortably.

      Out of these 10 rich ones the fifth lives comfortably.

      > 5.Imesu navasu sissesu sattamo saadhuka.m ugga.nhaati.
      > these / 9 / students / seventh / well / learn
      > Among these 9 students, the seventh learn well.

      Among these 9 students, the seventh learns well.

      > 6.Bhikkhuu Bhagavato santika.m aagantvaa ta.m vanditvaa ekamanta.m
      > nisiidi.msu.
      > monks / [to] Exalted One / slowly / having come / him / paid homage
      > /on one side / sat down
      > The monks came slowly to the Exalted One, paid homage to him and sat
      > aside.

      The monks came slowly to the Exalted One, paid homage to him and sat
      to one side.

      > 7.So se.t.thii (attano) dhana.m pañcadhaa vibhajitvaa pañcanna.m
      > dhiitaraana.m adadi.
      > this / millionaire / his own / wealth / in five ways / divided /
      [to] five / daughters / gave
      > This millionaire divided his wealth and gave it to his five daughters.

      That millionaire divided his wealth in five parts and gave it to his
      daughters.

      > 9.Pa.thama.m te assaa ratha.m sama.m aaka.d.dhi.msu, dutiya.m siigha.m
      > dhaavi.msu.
      > at first / these / horses / carriage / evenly / drew / for the second
      > time / quickly / ran
      > At first these horses drew the carriage evenly, then for the second
      > time they ran quickly.

      At first those horses drew the carriage evenly, then secondly they ran
      quickly.

      With metta,
      John
      Message 219 of 219 , Mar 8, 2007
        Dear Florent,

        allow me to suggest the following correction:
        Sattamo Edwardnaamo bhuupati chabbiisatiyaa vassaana.m upari kaala.m
        akaasi.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, flrobert2000 wrote:

        8. King Edward VII died 26 years ago.
        bhuupati / Edwardnaamo / sattamo / kaalam akaasi /
        chabbiisati / vasse / upari
        Sattamo Edwardnaamo bhuupati chabbisati vasse upari kaalam akaasi.