Re: [Pali] particles, particles!

  • johnny pruitt
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 31, 2006
      Wow that is very interesting. I always assumed that my last name was of german origin. My grandfather was a hillbilly from tennessee named Guy Pruett and Couldn't read or write.

      Stephen Hodge <s.hodge@...> wrote: Dear Johnny,

      > Also I believe that there is a man named William Pruitt that works
      > as a translator in the Pali text society. Their does not seem to be
      > any similar family ancestry.

      As well as Buddhist stuff, I also do a bit of genealogy -- so unbuddhist !
      But I can tell you that actually there may be a connection if your family
      name is of British origin and has remained unchanged. It is a very rare
      surname. In the 1881 census, there are only 5 Pruitts listed of whom 4
      lived in Lanarkshire in Scotland and 1 in Monmouthshire in Wales. A
      variation of the surname, Pruit, is equally rare -- only 6 individuals, 5
      who lived in Devonshire and one in Derbyshire. In each case, they are
      probably all members of one single family. But there is also another
      variants: Pruwett, still fairly rare, mainly from Gloucestershire and
      Wiltshire, and Pruett also mainly from Gloucestershire. If you have an
      American connection, there were Pruetts etc in Virginia as early as 1636.
      In pre-modern times when spellings were not fixed, you will find the same
      person with the surname spelt differently at different times as above.
      Looking at the distribution, my guess is that your ancestors came from the
      Gloucestershire/Wiltshire area. Further investigations charged at the
      usual rates :)

      Best wishes,
      Stephen Hodge

      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 16, 2006
        Dear Nina and Johnny,

        the Word-by-word series is available from this page:
        http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/paliww/wordload.php?word=001

        There is also a bulk of discussion in the archive. A recommended
        starting points:

        This exercise was later dropped for technical, logistic and personal
        reasons, which are more or less discussed in the archived messages.

        However, if there is anyone keen in reviving it, I am happy to share
        my experience.

        Yong Peng used to give us the word of the week with examples and
        particles were included. Perhaps he could help tracing these old
        posts? Long ago, they were very good.
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 18, 2006
          thank you very much for the links. In the first link there are
          already several examples. Perhaps Johnny can give more contexts,
          since these influence the meaning.
          Nina.
          Op 17-sep-2006, om 7:16 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

          > Dear Nina and Johnny,
          >
          > the Word-by-word series is available from this page:
          > http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/paliww/wordload.php?word=001
          >
          > There is also a bulk of discussion in the archive. A recommended
          > starting points:

        • johnny pruitt
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 19, 2006
            Yes the contexts surely due change the meaning such as the particle ca when it means "but" and when it means "and". Nevertheless, what I was aspiring to due was isolate the particles and then deduce what the combinations meant. Does this seem unrealistic?

            Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote: Dear Yong Peng,
            thank you very much for the links. In the first link there are
            already several examples. Perhaps Johnny can give more contexts,
            since these influence the meaning.
            Nina.
            Op 17-sep-2006, om 7:16 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

            > Dear Nina and Johnny,
            >
            > the Word-by-word series is available from this page:
            > http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/paliww/wordload.php?word=001
            >
            > There is also a bulk of discussion in the archive. A recommended
            > starting points:

          • gini g
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 5, 2010
              i'm new in here and i'm looking for a translation to pali.
              i would like to translate this sentece:

              you are buddha

              i would like to have in in the pali alphabet.
              can someone help me?
              thank you
              andrew
            • Dhammadarsa
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 24, 2010
                Hi Andrew

                This is a little more complicated as it seems.

                tva'm buddho [hosi, bhavasi] in Roman Script. You can choose either of the
                verbs in brackets, or leave both out.

                Pali doesn't have a script of its own, as far as we know, as it was a spoken
                language. It adopted the scripts of the countries that it went to. So for
                westerners we use Roman script. To type in other scripts usually requires
                special setup on one's computer and it is not guaranteed that it will
                display properly on your computer, as you need the font, unless one takes a
                screenshot of the typing on the author's computer and sends it as a picture
                or saves the typing as a PDF. In the latter case, there would be a lot of
                blank space in the document.

                In case you find someone with the necessary setup, you would have to let the
                person know what script you want and exactly what words you want, e.g.
                include either of the verbs above or not.

                Kind Regards

                <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> Integrating Emotion and Intellect =
                Intelligence

                Dhammadarsa [Darsa] Bhikkhu
                Buddhist Monk

                Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University
                Wang Noi
                Ayuthaya
                Thailand

                <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa

                mobile:

                +66850941669

                <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=210453914412&src=client_sig_212_1_card_join&
                invite=1&lang=en> Always have my latest info

                <http://www.plaxo.com/signature?src=client_sig_212_1_card_sig&lang=en> Want
                a signature like this?

                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 27, 2010
                  Dear Ven. Dhammadarsa and Andrew,

                  hello. It is already difficult for many to comprehend the evolution of life, let alone the evolution of language and human linguistic ability.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 28, 2010
                    Kind Yong Peng and Andrew

                    Maybe understanding the evolution of language and human linguistic ability
                    is part of understanding life, since the former are part of the latter.

                    --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Pali%40yahoogroups.com> , Dhammadarsa