Re: [Pali] Re: Mettasutta.

    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 27, 2006
      Dear Piya,
      I appreciate your question.
      I quoted from the Co. to the Metta sutta, but the same is also used
      in the Udana Co. re Bahiyasutta.

      I quote now from Robert's forum who incorporated a letter from Sarah
      (moderator of dhammastudygroup):

      <Peter Masefield�s translation of the Udana (Ud) and Udana commentary
      (Ud-a)
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/khudd...ana/ud1-10.html
      Ud-a continues:

      QUOTE
      �It is, moreover, wrong on the part of those who seek reference to an
      intermediate becoming (antaraabhava.m) by seizing upon the phrase
      ubhayamantarena [in both]. For the existence of an intermediate
      becoming is altogether rejected in the Abhidhamma. ....Furthermore,
      those who still say that there is an intermediate becoming by seizing
      unmethodically upon the meaning of such sutta-passages as �An
      antaraaparinibbaayin� (eg Aiv70ff) and �Those who are become or those
      seeking becoming�(Khp8) are to be rebuffed with �there is no (such
      thing)�, since the meaning of the former sutta passage is that he is
      an antaraaparinibbaayin since he attains parinibbaana
      (parinibbaayati) by way of remainderles defilement-parinibbana
      through attaining the topmost path midway (antaraa)[in lifespan]....,
      whilst the meaning of the latter (sutta-passage) is that those who,
      in the former word, are spoken of as �those who are
      become� (bhuutaa), are those in whom the asavas have been destroyed,
      being those who are merely become, (but) who will not become (again,
      (whereas the latter,) being the antithesis thereof, (and spoken of
      as) �those seeking becoming� (sambhavesino) since it is becoming
      (sambhava.m) that they seek (esenti), are sekhas and puthujjanas on
      account of the fetters giving rise to becoming not having been
      abandoned....�
      �For when there is a straightforward meaning that follows the
      (canonical) Pali, what business is there in postulating an
      intermediate becoming of unspecified capacity?�>
      End quote.
      ---------
      So, the point is, that we at this moment cannot give up clinging to
      life, we still want to be reborn. The arahat is not so, he has become
      but is not seeking to be born again. Thus in the quoted passage the
      difference between the non-arahat and arahat is shown.
      Just in this context the term bhuuta is used in this way.
      Nina.

      Op 24-aug-2006, om 11:53 heeft Piya Tan het volgende geschreven:

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 27, 2006
        Thanks very much, Nina. I value the opinions of both sides: whether those who are faith- and text-based, and those who rely on meditation and personal experience, not that they are exclusive.

        I have also just signed up for the Abhidhamma Vipassana Forum to get a balanced learning process. We have so much to learn from both the Vipassana tradition and the Forest tradition.

        In todays Straits Times, a member of a local Presbyterian church is up in arms against his church because he thinks that the King James Bible is not a good translation. Things went to a ahed that he was suspended from attending church, and not he is suing the church elders for defamation, etc.

        I mention his because we should be reminded that open forum and discussion is a great learning process, and we have to continuosly appreciate the Buddha's great wisdom and compassion is giving us teachings without unresolvable conflicts. Above all we are allowed to think for ourselves.

        Sukhi

        Piya Tan

        Piya Tan
        Email: dharmafarer@...
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 28, 2006
          Dear Piya,
          Thank you for your kind post. I do appreciate your openmindedness and
          the fact that you signed up for Rob's study forum.
          Nina.
          Op 28-aug-2006, om 4:06 heeft Piya Tan het volgende geschreven: