Lo.nakapallasutta.m

  • Scott Duncan
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20 8:03 PM
      Dear All,

      I've been studying the following passage from the Lo.nakapallasuta.m
      (Anguttara Nikaaya):

      "Yo bhikkave eva.m vadeyya: yathaa yattaa'ya.m puriso kamma.m karoti
      tathaa tathaa'na.m pa.tisa.mvediyatiiti. Eva.m santa.m bhikkave
      brahmacariyavaaso na hoti. Okaaso na pa~n~naayati samma dukkhassa
      antakiryaayaa'ti.

      "Yo ca kho bhikkave eva.m vadeyya: yathaa yathaa vedaniiya.m aya.m
      puriso kamma.m karoti, tathaa tathaa assa vipaka.m
      pa.tisa.mvediyatii'ti, eva.m santa.m bhikkhave brahmacariyavaaso hoti
      okasso pa~n~naayati samma dukkhassa antakiriyaayaa'ti."

      I need help with the "yathaa yatthaa'ya.m" and the "tathaa
      tathaa'na.m" parts. I think they form two halves of a "where...there
      is" clause, but I'm not sure.

      Also, in the second paragraph there is "vedaniiya.m" which I think is
      about experiencing and if so, how does it differ from
      "pa.tisa.mvediyatii,ti?"

      There's more but I'll stop here.

      Sincerely,

      Scott.