kayagataa sati vagga

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2006
      I just put part 2, because I did not go over your whole post in one
      day, but made it into a continuation, as part 2. It is of no importance.

      Y.P.:11. "Ekadhamme, bhikkhave, bhaavite bahuliikate anuppannaa ceva
      kusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti, uppannaa ca kusalaa dhammaa
      bhiyyobhaavaaya vepullaaya sa.mvattanti.
      in one thing / monks / in developed / in practised / unarisen / and-
      so / wholesome / states / arise / arisen / and / wholesome /
      states / to increase / to full development / lead to
      "One thing, O monks, (when) developed and practised, unarisen
      wholesome states arise, and so arisen wholesome states lead to
      advancement and full development.

      -------

      N: For syntaxis I would suggest: When one quality , o monks, is
      developed....

      Here dhamma can be translated as gu.na, (good) quality, which is one
      of the many meanings of dhamma.

      -----------

      Y.P.:Katamasmi.m ekadhamme?
      in which / in one thing
      Which one (thing)?
      -------

      N : What is that good quality?

      For syntaxis, it needs a verb like: is.

      -------

      Kaayagataaya satiyaa.
      in relating to the body / in mindfulness
      Mindfulness of the body.

      Y.P.:Imasmi.m kho, bhikkhave, ekadhamme bhaavite bahuliikate anuppannaa
      ceva kusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti, uppannaa ca kusalaa dhammaa
      bhiyyobhaavaaya vepullaaya sa.mvattantii"ti.
      Indeed, monks, this (one thing), (when) developed and practised,
      unarisen wholesome states arise, and so arisen wholesome states lead
      to advancement and full development."
      N: When this quality is developed... (again an absolute locative)

      Y.P.:12. "Ekadhamme, bhikkhave, bhaavite bahuliikate avijjaa pahiiyati,
      vijjaa uppajjati, asmimaano pahiiyati, anusayaa samugghaata.m
      gacchanti, sa.myojanaa pahiiyanti.
      "One thing, O monks, (when) developed and practised, ignorance is
      abandoned, knowledge arises, the conceit of self is abandoned,
      tendencies get removed, and attachments are abandoned.
      --------

      N: anusaya: latent tendencies. These are dormant in the citta, they
      do not arise, but can condiiton the arising of akusala citta.