Re: Unknown passage in South-Asian script

  • dhammanando_bhikkhu
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 16 7:40 PM
      Dear Yong,

      > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the passage
      > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters. Thank
      > you.

      It is a rather messy variant form of a verse from the Mora Paritta
      ("Peacock Protection") from the Mora Jaataka (No. 159). In Thai
      paritta chanting it comes after the Khandhaparitta ("viruupakkhehi me
      metta.m...") and before the Va.t.takaparitta ("atthi loke siilagu.no...").

      This is the full version as found in the _Suat Mon Chabap Luang_ (the
      Royal Thai chanting book):

      udetaya~ncakkhumaa ekaraajaa
      harissava.n.no pa.thavippabhaaso
      ta.m ta.m namassaami harissava.n.na.m pa.thavippabhaasa.m
      tayajja guttaa viharemu divasa.m
      ye braahma.naa vedagu sabbadhamme
      te me namo te ca ma.m paalayantu
      namatthu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
      namo vimuttaana.m namo vimuttiyaa
      ima.m so paritta.m katvaa moro carati esanaa.

      apetaya~ncakkhumaa ekaraajaa
      harissava.n.no pa.thavippabhaaso
      ta.m ta.m namassaami harissava.n.na.m pa.thavippabhaasa.m
      tayajja guttaa viharemu ratti.m
      ye braahma.naa vedagu sabbadhamme
      te me namo te ca ma.m paalayantu
      namatthu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
      namo vimuttaana.m namo vimuttiyaa
      ima.m so paritta.m katvaa moro vaasamakappayii ti.
      (Jat. ii. 33-6)

      And a rather free translation from W.H.D. Rouse:

      There he rises, king all-seeing,
      Making all things bright with his golden light.
      Thee I worship, glorious being,
      Making all things bright with thy golden light,
      Keep me safe, I pray,
      Through the coming day.

      All saints, the righteous, wise in holy lore,
      These do I honour, and their aid implore:
      All honour to the wise, to wisdom honour be,
      To freedom, and to all that freedom has made free.

      There he sets, king all-seeing,
      He that makes all bright with his golden light.
      Thee I worship, glorious being,
      Making all things bright with thy golden light,
      Through the night, as through the day,
      Keep me safe, I pray.

      All saints, the righteous, wise in holy lore,
      These do I honour, and their aid implore:
      All honour to the wise, to wisdom honour be,
      To freedom, and to all that freedom has made free.

      Best wishes,
      Dhammanando Bhikkhu
    • Ole Holten Pind
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 17 12:06 AM
        Thanks for the identification.
        Ole Pind

        _____

        > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the passage
        > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters. Thank
        > you.

        It is a rather messy variant form of a verse from the Mora Paritta
        ("Peacock Protection") from the Mora Jaataka (No. 159). In Thai
        paritta chanting it comes after the Khandhaparitta ("viruupakkhehi me
        metta.m...") and before the Va.t.takaparitta ("atthi loke siilagu.no...").

        This is the full version as found in the _Suat Mon Chabap Luang_ (the
        Royal Thai chanting book):

        udetaya~ncakkhumaa ekaraajaa
        harissava.n.no pa.thavippabhaaso
        ta.m ta.m namassaami harissava.n.na.m pa.thavippabhaasa.m
        tayajja guttaa viharemu divasa.m
        ye braahma.naa vedagu sabbadhamme
        te me namo te ca ma.m paalayantu
        namatthu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
        namo vimuttaana.m namo vimuttiyaa
        ima.m so paritta.m katvaa moro carati esanaa.

        apetaya~ncakkhumaa ekaraajaa
        harissava.n.no pa.thavippabhaaso
        ta.m ta.m namassaami harissava.n.na.m pa.thavippabhaasa.m
        tayajja guttaa viharemu ratti.m
        ye braahma.naa vedagu sabbadhamme
        te me namo te ca ma.m paalayantu
        namatthu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
        namo vimuttaana.m namo vimuttiyaa
        ima.m so paritta.m katvaa moro vaasamakappayii ti.
        (Jat. ii. 33-6)

        And a rather free translation from W.H.D. Rouse:

        There he rises, king all-seeing,
        Making all things bright with his golden light.
        Thee I worship, glorious being,
        Making all things bright with thy golden light,
        Keep me safe, I pray,
        Through the coming day.

        All saints, the righteous, wise in holy lore,
        These do I honour, and their aid implore:
        All honour to the wise, to wisdom honour be,
        To freedom, and to all that freedom has made free.

        There he sets, king all-seeing,
        He that makes all bright with his golden light.
        Thee I worship, glorious being,
        Making all things bright with thy golden light,
        Through the night, as through the day,
        Keep me safe, I pray.

        All saints, the righteous, wise in holy lore,
        These do I honour, and their aid implore:
        All honour to the wise, to wisdom honour be,
        To freedom, and to all that freedom has made free.

        Best wishes,
        Dhammanando Bhikkhu

        <http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=64051&pa
        rtner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

      • Jacques Huynen
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 17 1:41 AM
          Mixtures of Pâli or other prakrits with Sanskrit are
          usually called "Hybrid Sankrit".

          J.Huynen

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Gunnar Gällmo
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 17 6:38 AM
            --- libris <libris@...> skrev:

            > Very interesting: it is a mixture of Pali &
            > Sanskrit.

            E. g. Sanskrit "vimukti" should be Pali "vimutti",
            while Pali "namatthu" should, I think, be Sanskrit
            "namaastu".

            > I think it is Sinhala Pali or Pali
            > Sinhala. Is there a technical name fot this usage?

            I don't know of any Asian term. In Western tradition,
            we speak about "Macaronic verse", which in Europe
            mostly meant mixing Latin and the local vernacular, e.
            g. German as in a Christian medieval hymn:

            "In dulci jubilo nun singet und seid froh!
            Unsers Herzens Wonne lieget in praesepio,
            leuchtet als die Sonne Matris in gremio.
            Alpha es et O. Alpha es et O."

            The Non-Latin parts have been translated into several
            other Western languages, and in
            http://www.virtuallybaroque.com/track118.htm I find an
            English version:

            "In dulci jubilo your praises hereby show,
            He our hearts sweet treasure lies in praesepio,
            Is come to do God's pleasure matris in gremio.
            Alpha es et O. Alpha es et O."

            Mixed language is nothing new. Even the great model av
            Classical Latin, Cicero, wrote some letters where
            every second or third word was Greek.

            Gunnar
          • libris
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 17 6:55 AM
              BHS is more systematic. This is a sort of Sinhalese vernacular, or possible classical Sinhala (I think I am becoming more and more ignorant of this).

              Anyway, it just shows how Buddhism has seeped into the fabric of a society.

              Piya