Re: [Pali] Unknown passage in South-Asian script

  • libris
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 16, 2006
      Very interesting: it is a mixture of Pali & Sanskrit. I think it is Sinhala Pali or Pali Sinhala. Is there a technical name fot this usage?

      In Thailand too there is a heavy presence of Pali in classical poetry.

      Piya

      --- gurusinha sena <gurusinhas@...> wrote:

      > Dear Mr. Ong
      >
      > It is a pali verse, written in Sinhalese. This is the tramslation
      > to Roman characters. m = m dot below
      >
      > Ye bhaahmano vedagu sabbha dhamme
      > Te me namo teva mam paalayantu
      > Namatthu Buddhaanam namatthu bodhiyaa
      > Namo vimuktaanam namo vimuktiyaa
      >

      > Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> wrote: Dear friends,
      >
      > I was asked by a friend to translate into English an unknown passage
      >
      > in a script, which I think is South-Asian. I was told it is a Pali
      > verse.
      >
      > The passage is available online:
      > http://www.tipitaka.net/unknown.bmp
      >
      > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the
      > passage
      > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters.
      > Thank
      > you.
      >
      > metta,
      > Yong Peng.

    • libris
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 16, 2006
        Here is a provisional translation:

        The brahmnin, a knowledge-master, who knows all the Dharmas [duties?],
        I hononor you: may you protect me!
        Homage to the Buddha, homage to Bodhi [awakening]!
        Homage to the liberated, homage to the liberation!

        Ah, this is a mantra.

        --- gurusinha sena <gurusinhas@...> wrote:

        > Dear Mr. Ong
        >
        > It is a pali verse, written in Sinhalese. This is the tramslation
        > to Roman characters. m = m dot below
        >
        > Ye bhaahmano vedagu sabbha dhamme
        > Te me namo teva mam paalayantu
        > Namatthu Buddhaanam namatthu bodhiyaa
        > Namo vimuktaanam namo vimuktiyaa
        >

        > Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> wrote: Dear friends,
        >
        > I was asked by a friend to translate into English an unknown passage
        >
        > in a script, which I think is South-Asian. I was told it is a Pali
        > verse.
        >
        > The passage is available online:
        > http://www.tipitaka.net/unknown.bmp
        >
        > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the
        > passage
        > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters.
        > Thank
        > you.
        >
        > metta,
        > Yong Peng.

      • dhammanando_bhikkhu
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 16, 2006
          Dear Yong,

          > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the passage
          > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters. Thank
          > you.

          It is a rather messy variant form of a verse from the Mora Paritta
          ("Peacock Protection") from the Mora Jaataka (No. 159). In Thai
          paritta chanting it comes after the Khandhaparitta ("viruupakkhehi me
          metta.m...") and before the Va.t.takaparitta ("atthi loke siilagu.no...").

          This is the full version as found in the _Suat Mon Chabap Luang_ (the
          Royal Thai chanting book):

          udetaya~ncakkhumaa ekaraajaa
          harissava.n.no pa.thavippabhaaso
          ta.m ta.m namassaami harissava.n.na.m pa.thavippabhaasa.m
          tayajja guttaa viharemu divasa.m
          ye braahma.naa vedagu sabbadhamme
          te me namo te ca ma.m paalayantu
          namatthu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
          namo vimuttaana.m namo vimuttiyaa
          ima.m so paritta.m katvaa moro carati esanaa.

          apetaya~ncakkhumaa ekaraajaa
          harissava.n.no pa.thavippabhaaso
          ta.m ta.m namassaami harissava.n.na.m pa.thavippabhaasa.m
          tayajja guttaa viharemu ratti.m
          ye braahma.naa vedagu sabbadhamme
          te me namo te ca ma.m paalayantu
          namatthu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
          namo vimuttaana.m namo vimuttiyaa
          ima.m so paritta.m katvaa moro vaasamakappayii ti.
          (Jat. ii. 33-6)

          And a rather free translation from W.H.D. Rouse:

          There he rises, king all-seeing,
          Making all things bright with his golden light.
          Thee I worship, glorious being,
          Making all things bright with thy golden light,
          Keep me safe, I pray,
          Through the coming day.

          All saints, the righteous, wise in holy lore,
          These do I honour, and their aid implore:
          All honour to the wise, to wisdom honour be,
          To freedom, and to all that freedom has made free.

          There he sets, king all-seeing,
          He that makes all bright with his golden light.
          Thee I worship, glorious being,
          Making all things bright with thy golden light,
          Through the night, as through the day,
          Keep me safe, I pray.

          All saints, the righteous, wise in holy lore,
          These do I honour, and their aid implore:
          All honour to the wise, to wisdom honour be,
          To freedom, and to all that freedom has made free.

          Best wishes,
          Dhammanando Bhikkhu
        • Ole Holten Pind
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 17, 2006
            Thanks for the identification.
            Ole Pind

            _____

            > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the passage
            > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters. Thank
            > you.

            It is a rather messy variant form of a verse from the Mora Paritta
            ("Peacock Protection") from the Mora Jaataka (No. 159). In Thai
            paritta chanting it comes after the Khandhaparitta ("viruupakkhehi me
            metta.m...") and before the Va.t.takaparitta ("atthi loke siilagu.no...").

            This is the full version as found in the _Suat Mon Chabap Luang_ (the
            Royal Thai chanting book):

            udetaya~ncakkhumaa ekaraajaa
            harissava.n.no pa.thavippabhaaso
            ta.m ta.m namassaami harissava.n.na.m pa.thavippabhaasa.m
            tayajja guttaa viharemu divasa.m
            ye braahma.naa vedagu sabbadhamme
            te me namo te ca ma.m paalayantu
            namatthu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
            namo vimuttaana.m namo vimuttiyaa
            ima.m so paritta.m katvaa moro carati esanaa.

            apetaya~ncakkhumaa ekaraajaa
            harissava.n.no pa.thavippabhaaso
            ta.m ta.m namassaami harissava.n.na.m pa.thavippabhaasa.m
            tayajja guttaa viharemu ratti.m
            ye braahma.naa vedagu sabbadhamme
            te me namo te ca ma.m paalayantu
            namatthu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
            namo vimuttaana.m namo vimuttiyaa
            ima.m so paritta.m katvaa moro vaasamakappayii ti.
            (Jat. ii. 33-6)

            And a rather free translation from W.H.D. Rouse:

            There he rises, king all-seeing,
            Making all things bright with his golden light.
            Thee I worship, glorious being,
            Making all things bright with thy golden light,
            Keep me safe, I pray,
            Through the coming day.

            All saints, the righteous, wise in holy lore,
            These do I honour, and their aid implore:
            All honour to the wise, to wisdom honour be,
            To freedom, and to all that freedom has made free.

            There he sets, king all-seeing,
            He that makes all bright with his golden light.
            Thee I worship, glorious being,
            Making all things bright with thy golden light,
            Through the night, as through the day,
            Keep me safe, I pray.

            All saints, the righteous, wise in holy lore,
            These do I honour, and their aid implore:
            All honour to the wise, to wisdom honour be,
            To freedom, and to all that freedom has made free.

            Best wishes,
            Dhammanando Bhikkhu

            <http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=64051&pa
            rtner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

          • Jacques Huynen
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 17, 2006
              Mixtures of Pâli or other prakrits with Sanskrit are
              usually called "Hybrid Sankrit".

              J.Huynen

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Gunnar Gällmo
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 17, 2006
                --- libris <libris@...> skrev:

                > Very interesting: it is a mixture of Pali &
                > Sanskrit.

                E. g. Sanskrit "vimukti" should be Pali "vimutti",
                while Pali "namatthu" should, I think, be Sanskrit
                "namaastu".

                > I think it is Sinhala Pali or Pali
                > Sinhala. Is there a technical name fot this usage?

                I don't know of any Asian term. In Western tradition,
                we speak about "Macaronic verse", which in Europe
                mostly meant mixing Latin and the local vernacular, e.
                g. German as in a Christian medieval hymn:

                "In dulci jubilo nun singet und seid froh!
                Unsers Herzens Wonne lieget in praesepio,
                leuchtet als die Sonne Matris in gremio.
                Alpha es et O. Alpha es et O."

                The Non-Latin parts have been translated into several
                other Western languages, and in
                http://www.virtuallybaroque.com/track118.htm I find an
                English version:

                "In dulci jubilo your praises hereby show,
                He our hearts sweet treasure lies in praesepio,
                Is come to do God's pleasure matris in gremio.
                Alpha es et O. Alpha es et O."

                Mixed language is nothing new. Even the great model av
                Classical Latin, Cicero, wrote some letters where
                every second or third word was Greek.

                Gunnar
              • libris
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 17, 2006
                  BHS is more systematic. This is a sort of Sinhalese vernacular, or possible classical Sinhala (I think I am becoming more and more ignorant of this).

                  Anyway, it just shows how Buddhism has seeped into the fabric of a society.

                  Piya