Re: [Pali] Unknown passage in South-Asian script

  • gurusinha sena
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 15, 2006
      Dear Mr. Ong

      It is a pali verse, written in Sinhalese. This is the tramslation to Roman characters. m = m dot below

      Ye bhaahmano vedagu sabbha dhamme
      Te me namo teva mam paalayantu
      Namatthu Buddhaanam namatthu bodhiyaa
      Namo vimuktaanam namo vimuktiyaa

      Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> wrote: Dear friends,

      I was asked by a friend to translate into English an unknown passage
      in a script, which I think is South-Asian. I was told it is a Pali
      verse.

      The passage is available online: http://www.tipitaka.net/unknown.bmp

      I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the passage
      in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters. Thank
      you.

    • Nicki Karu
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 16, 2006
        ye braahma.no ce~dagu sabbha dhamme
        te me namo teca ma.m paalayantu
        namathhu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
        namo vimuktaana.m namo vimuktiyaa

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 16, 2006
          The spelling is a bit odd in places and so is the grammar. The first line is
          somewhat problematic: One would expect braahmane vedaguu and sabbadhamme.
          The verse appears to say: I praise braahamanas, knowledgeable (persons and)
          all dhammas, may they protect me. Hail to the Buddhas! Hail to
          enlightenment! Hail to those who are liberated! Hail to liberation!

          With some reservations concerning the first line,
          Regards
          Ole Pind

          _____

          <http://www.tipitaka.net/unknown.bmp> .net/unknown.bmp

          I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the passage
          in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters. Thank
          you.

          <http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=42671&pa
          rtner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

        • libris
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 16, 2006
            Very interesting: it is a mixture of Pali & Sanskrit. I think it is Sinhala Pali or Pali Sinhala. Is there a technical name fot this usage?

            In Thailand too there is a heavy presence of Pali in classical poetry.

            Piya

            --- gurusinha sena <gurusinhas@...> wrote:

            > Dear Mr. Ong
            >
            > It is a pali verse, written in Sinhalese. This is the tramslation
            > to Roman characters. m = m dot below
            >
            > Ye bhaahmano vedagu sabbha dhamme
            > Te me namo teva mam paalayantu
            > Namatthu Buddhaanam namatthu bodhiyaa
            > Namo vimuktaanam namo vimuktiyaa
            >

            > Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> wrote: Dear friends,
            >
            > I was asked by a friend to translate into English an unknown passage
            >
            > in a script, which I think is South-Asian. I was told it is a Pali
            > verse.
            >
            > The passage is available online:
            > http://www.tipitaka.net/unknown.bmp
            >
            > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the
            > passage
            > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters.
            > Thank
            > you.
            >
            > metta,
            > Yong Peng.

          • libris
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 16, 2006
              Here is a provisional translation:

              The brahmnin, a knowledge-master, who knows all the Dharmas [duties?],
              I hononor you: may you protect me!
              Homage to the Buddha, homage to Bodhi [awakening]!
              Homage to the liberated, homage to the liberation!

              Ah, this is a mantra.

              --- gurusinha sena <gurusinhas@...> wrote:

              > Dear Mr. Ong
              >
              > It is a pali verse, written in Sinhalese. This is the tramslation
              > to Roman characters. m = m dot below
              >
              > Ye bhaahmano vedagu sabbha dhamme
              > Te me namo teva mam paalayantu
              > Namatthu Buddhaanam namatthu bodhiyaa
              > Namo vimuktaanam namo vimuktiyaa
              >

              > Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> wrote: Dear friends,
              >
              > I was asked by a friend to translate into English an unknown passage
              >
              > in a script, which I think is South-Asian. I was told it is a Pali
              > verse.
              >
              > The passage is available online:
              > http://www.tipitaka.net/unknown.bmp
              >
              > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the
              > passage
              > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters.
              > Thank
              > you.
              >
              > metta,
              > Yong Peng.

            • dhammanando_bhikkhu
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 16, 2006
                Dear Yong,

                > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the passage
                > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters. Thank
                > you.

                It is a rather messy variant form of a verse from the Mora Paritta
                ("Peacock Protection") from the Mora Jaataka (No. 159). In Thai
                paritta chanting it comes after the Khandhaparitta ("viruupakkhehi me
                metta.m...") and before the Va.t.takaparitta ("atthi loke siilagu.no...").

                This is the full version as found in the _Suat Mon Chabap Luang_ (the
                Royal Thai chanting book):

                udetaya~ncakkhumaa ekaraajaa
                harissava.n.no pa.thavippabhaaso
                ta.m ta.m namassaami harissava.n.na.m pa.thavippabhaasa.m
                tayajja guttaa viharemu divasa.m
                ye braahma.naa vedagu sabbadhamme
                te me namo te ca ma.m paalayantu
                namatthu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
                namo vimuttaana.m namo vimuttiyaa
                ima.m so paritta.m katvaa moro carati esanaa.

                apetaya~ncakkhumaa ekaraajaa
                harissava.n.no pa.thavippabhaaso
                ta.m ta.m namassaami harissava.n.na.m pa.thavippabhaasa.m
                tayajja guttaa viharemu ratti.m
                ye braahma.naa vedagu sabbadhamme
                te me namo te ca ma.m paalayantu
                namatthu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
                namo vimuttaana.m namo vimuttiyaa
                ima.m so paritta.m katvaa moro vaasamakappayii ti.
                (Jat. ii. 33-6)

                And a rather free translation from W.H.D. Rouse:

                There he rises, king all-seeing,
                Making all things bright with his golden light.
                Thee I worship, glorious being,
                Making all things bright with thy golden light,
                Keep me safe, I pray,
                Through the coming day.

                All saints, the righteous, wise in holy lore,
                These do I honour, and their aid implore:
                All honour to the wise, to wisdom honour be,
                To freedom, and to all that freedom has made free.

                There he sets, king all-seeing,
                He that makes all bright with his golden light.
                Thee I worship, glorious being,
                Making all things bright with thy golden light,
                Through the night, as through the day,
                Keep me safe, I pray.

                All saints, the righteous, wise in holy lore,
                These do I honour, and their aid implore:
                All honour to the wise, to wisdom honour be,
                To freedom, and to all that freedom has made free.

                Best wishes,
                Dhammanando Bhikkhu
              • Ole Holten Pind
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 17, 2006
                  Thanks for the identification.
                  Ole Pind

                  _____

                  > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the passage
                  > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters. Thank
                  > you.

                  It is a rather messy variant form of a verse from the Mora Paritta
                  ("Peacock Protection") from the Mora Jaataka (No. 159). In Thai
                  paritta chanting it comes after the Khandhaparitta ("viruupakkhehi me
                  metta.m...") and before the Va.t.takaparitta ("atthi loke siilagu.no...").

                  This is the full version as found in the _Suat Mon Chabap Luang_ (the
                  Royal Thai chanting book):

                  udetaya~ncakkhumaa ekaraajaa
                  harissava.n.no pa.thavippabhaaso
                  ta.m ta.m namassaami harissava.n.na.m pa.thavippabhaasa.m
                  tayajja guttaa viharemu divasa.m
                  ye braahma.naa vedagu sabbadhamme
                  te me namo te ca ma.m paalayantu
                  namatthu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
                  namo vimuttaana.m namo vimuttiyaa
                  ima.m so paritta.m katvaa moro carati esanaa.

                  apetaya~ncakkhumaa ekaraajaa
                  harissava.n.no pa.thavippabhaaso
                  ta.m ta.m namassaami harissava.n.na.m pa.thavippabhaasa.m
                  tayajja guttaa viharemu ratti.m
                  ye braahma.naa vedagu sabbadhamme
                  te me namo te ca ma.m paalayantu
                  namatthu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
                  namo vimuttaana.m namo vimuttiyaa
                  ima.m so paritta.m katvaa moro vaasamakappayii ti.
                  (Jat. ii. 33-6)

                  And a rather free translation from W.H.D. Rouse:

                  There he rises, king all-seeing,
                  Making all things bright with his golden light.
                  Thee I worship, glorious being,
                  Making all things bright with thy golden light,
                  Keep me safe, I pray,
                  Through the coming day.

                  All saints, the righteous, wise in holy lore,
                  These do I honour, and their aid implore:
                  All honour to the wise, to wisdom honour be,
                  To freedom, and to all that freedom has made free.

                  There he sets, king all-seeing,
                  He that makes all bright with his golden light.
                  Thee I worship, glorious being,
                  Making all things bright with thy golden light,
                  Through the night, as through the day,
                  Keep me safe, I pray.

                  All saints, the righteous, wise in holy lore,
                  These do I honour, and their aid implore:
                  All honour to the wise, to wisdom honour be,
                  To freedom, and to all that freedom has made free.

                  Best wishes,
                  Dhammanando Bhikkhu

                  <http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=64051&pa
                  rtner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

                • Jacques Huynen
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 17, 2006
                    Mixtures of Pâli or other prakrits with Sanskrit are
                    usually called "Hybrid Sankrit".

                    J.Huynen

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Gunnar Gällmo
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 17, 2006
                      --- libris <libris@...> skrev:

                      > Very interesting: it is a mixture of Pali &
                      > Sanskrit.

                      E. g. Sanskrit "vimukti" should be Pali "vimutti",
                      while Pali "namatthu" should, I think, be Sanskrit
                      "namaastu".

                      > I think it is Sinhala Pali or Pali
                      > Sinhala. Is there a technical name fot this usage?

                      I don't know of any Asian term. In Western tradition,
                      we speak about "Macaronic verse", which in Europe
                      mostly meant mixing Latin and the local vernacular, e.
                      g. German as in a Christian medieval hymn:

                      "In dulci jubilo nun singet und seid froh!
                      Unsers Herzens Wonne lieget in praesepio,
                      leuchtet als die Sonne Matris in gremio.
                      Alpha es et O. Alpha es et O."

                      The Non-Latin parts have been translated into several
                      other Western languages, and in
                      http://www.virtuallybaroque.com/track118.htm I find an
                      English version:

                      "In dulci jubilo your praises hereby show,
                      He our hearts sweet treasure lies in praesepio,
                      Is come to do God's pleasure matris in gremio.
                      Alpha es et O. Alpha es et O."

                      Mixed language is nothing new. Even the great model av
                      Classical Latin, Cicero, wrote some letters where
                      every second or third word was Greek.

                      Gunnar
                    • libris
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 17, 2006
                        BHS is more systematic. This is a sort of Sinhalese vernacular, or possible classical Sinhala (I think I am becoming more and more ignorant of this).

                        Anyway, it just shows how Buddhism has seeped into the fabric of a society.

                        Piya