Re: [Pali] Unknown passage in South-Asian script

  • Geoff Morrison
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 15, 2006
      Dear Yong Peng,

      The passage is written in Sinhala script. It's been
      awhile, since I have worked with Sinhala, but I will
      try to do a translation of the passage for you. I have
      my doubts about whether or not the passage is in Pali.
      You might ask your friend if he or she knows the
      origin of this particular passage, which would be
      helpful for establishing a context for a translation.

      I will get back to you soon about this passage.

      metta,

      Geoff Morrison

      --- Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> wrote:

      > Dear friends,
      >
      > I was asked by a friend to translate into English an
      > unknown passage
      > in a script, which I think is South-Asian. I was
      > told it is a Pali
      > verse.
      >
      > The passage is available online:
      > http://www.tipitaka.net/unknown.bmp
      >
      > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to
      > translate the passage
      > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis
      > characters. Thank
      > you.
      >

      > metta,
      > Yong Peng.

    • gurusinha sena
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 15, 2006
        Dear Mr. Ong

        It is a pali verse, written in Sinhalese. This is the tramslation to Roman characters. m = m dot below

        Ye bhaahmano vedagu sabbha dhamme
        Te me namo teva mam paalayantu
        Namatthu Buddhaanam namatthu bodhiyaa
        Namo vimuktaanam namo vimuktiyaa

        Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> wrote: Dear friends,

        I was asked by a friend to translate into English an unknown passage
        in a script, which I think is South-Asian. I was told it is a Pali
        verse.

        The passage is available online: http://www.tipitaka.net/unknown.bmp

        I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the passage
        in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters. Thank
        you.

      • Nicki Karu
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 16, 2006
          ye braahma.no ce~dagu sabbha dhamme
          te me namo teca ma.m paalayantu
          namathhu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
          namo vimuktaana.m namo vimuktiyaa

          Envoyé le : Mercredi, 16 Août 2006, 5h54mn 47s
          Objet : Re: [Pali] Unknown passage in South-Asian script

          --- Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@gmail. com> wrote:

          > Dear friends,
          >
          > I was asked by a friend to translate into English an
          > unknown passage
          > in a script, which I think is South-Asian. I was
          > told it is a Pali
          > verse.
          >
          > The passage is available online:
          > http://www.tipitaka .net/unknown. bmp
          >
          > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to
          > translate the passage
          > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis
          > characters. Thank
          > you.
          >

          > metta,
          > Yong Peng.

        • Ole Holten Pind
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 16, 2006
            The spelling is a bit odd in places and so is the grammar. The first line is
            somewhat problematic: One would expect braahmane vedaguu and sabbadhamme.
            The verse appears to say: I praise braahamanas, knowledgeable (persons and)
            all dhammas, may they protect me. Hail to the Buddhas! Hail to
            enlightenment! Hail to those who are liberated! Hail to liberation!

            With some reservations concerning the first line,
            Regards
            Ole Pind

            _____

            <http://www.tipitaka.net/unknown.bmp> .net/unknown.bmp

            I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the passage
            in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters. Thank
            you.

            <http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=42671&pa
            rtner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

          • libris
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 16, 2006
              Very interesting: it is a mixture of Pali & Sanskrit. I think it is Sinhala Pali or Pali Sinhala. Is there a technical name fot this usage?

              In Thailand too there is a heavy presence of Pali in classical poetry.

              Piya

              --- gurusinha sena <gurusinhas@...> wrote:

              > Dear Mr. Ong
              >
              > It is a pali verse, written in Sinhalese. This is the tramslation
              > to Roman characters. m = m dot below
              >
              > Ye bhaahmano vedagu sabbha dhamme
              > Te me namo teva mam paalayantu
              > Namatthu Buddhaanam namatthu bodhiyaa
              > Namo vimuktaanam namo vimuktiyaa
              >

              > Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> wrote: Dear friends,
              >
              > I was asked by a friend to translate into English an unknown passage
              >
              > in a script, which I think is South-Asian. I was told it is a Pali
              > verse.
              >
              > The passage is available online:
              > http://www.tipitaka.net/unknown.bmp
              >
              > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the
              > passage
              > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters.
              > Thank
              > you.
              >
              > metta,
              > Yong Peng.

            • libris
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 16, 2006
                Here is a provisional translation:

                The brahmnin, a knowledge-master, who knows all the Dharmas [duties?],
                I hononor you: may you protect me!
                Homage to the Buddha, homage to Bodhi [awakening]!
                Homage to the liberated, homage to the liberation!

                Ah, this is a mantra.

                --- gurusinha sena <gurusinhas@...> wrote:

                > Dear Mr. Ong
                >
                > It is a pali verse, written in Sinhalese. This is the tramslation
                > to Roman characters. m = m dot below
                >
                > Ye bhaahmano vedagu sabbha dhamme
                > Te me namo teva mam paalayantu
                > Namatthu Buddhaanam namatthu bodhiyaa
                > Namo vimuktaanam namo vimuktiyaa
                >

                > Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> wrote: Dear friends,
                >
                > I was asked by a friend to translate into English an unknown passage
                >
                > in a script, which I think is South-Asian. I was told it is a Pali
                > verse.
                >
                > The passage is available online:
                > http://www.tipitaka.net/unknown.bmp
                >
                > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the
                > passage
                > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters.
                > Thank
                > you.
                >
                > metta,
                > Yong Peng.

              • dhammanando_bhikkhu
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 16, 2006
                  Dear Yong,

                  > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the passage
                  > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters. Thank
                  > you.

                  It is a rather messy variant form of a verse from the Mora Paritta
                  ("Peacock Protection") from the Mora Jaataka (No. 159). In Thai
                  paritta chanting it comes after the Khandhaparitta ("viruupakkhehi me
                  metta.m...") and before the Va.t.takaparitta ("atthi loke siilagu.no...").

                  This is the full version as found in the _Suat Mon Chabap Luang_ (the
                  Royal Thai chanting book):

                  udetaya~ncakkhumaa ekaraajaa
                  harissava.n.no pa.thavippabhaaso
                  ta.m ta.m namassaami harissava.n.na.m pa.thavippabhaasa.m
                  tayajja guttaa viharemu divasa.m
                  ye braahma.naa vedagu sabbadhamme
                  te me namo te ca ma.m paalayantu
                  namatthu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
                  namo vimuttaana.m namo vimuttiyaa
                  ima.m so paritta.m katvaa moro carati esanaa.

                  apetaya~ncakkhumaa ekaraajaa
                  harissava.n.no pa.thavippabhaaso
                  ta.m ta.m namassaami harissava.n.na.m pa.thavippabhaasa.m
                  tayajja guttaa viharemu ratti.m
                  ye braahma.naa vedagu sabbadhamme
                  te me namo te ca ma.m paalayantu
                  namatthu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
                  namo vimuttaana.m namo vimuttiyaa
                  ima.m so paritta.m katvaa moro vaasamakappayii ti.
                  (Jat. ii. 33-6)

                  And a rather free translation from W.H.D. Rouse:

                  There he rises, king all-seeing,
                  Making all things bright with his golden light.
                  Thee I worship, glorious being,
                  Making all things bright with thy golden light,
                  Keep me safe, I pray,
                  Through the coming day.

                  All saints, the righteous, wise in holy lore,
                  These do I honour, and their aid implore:
                  All honour to the wise, to wisdom honour be,
                  To freedom, and to all that freedom has made free.

                  There he sets, king all-seeing,
                  He that makes all bright with his golden light.
                  Thee I worship, glorious being,
                  Making all things bright with thy golden light,
                  Through the night, as through the day,
                  Keep me safe, I pray.

                  All saints, the righteous, wise in holy lore,
                  These do I honour, and their aid implore:
                  All honour to the wise, to wisdom honour be,
                  To freedom, and to all that freedom has made free.

                  Best wishes,
                  Dhammanando Bhikkhu
                • Ole Holten Pind
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 17, 2006
                    Thanks for the identification.
                    Ole Pind

                    _____

                    > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the passage
                    > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters. Thank
                    > you.

                    It is a rather messy variant form of a verse from the Mora Paritta
                    ("Peacock Protection") from the Mora Jaataka (No. 159). In Thai
                    paritta chanting it comes after the Khandhaparitta ("viruupakkhehi me
                    metta.m...") and before the Va.t.takaparitta ("atthi loke siilagu.no...").

                    This is the full version as found in the _Suat Mon Chabap Luang_ (the
                    Royal Thai chanting book):

                    udetaya~ncakkhumaa ekaraajaa
                    harissava.n.no pa.thavippabhaaso
                    ta.m ta.m namassaami harissava.n.na.m pa.thavippabhaasa.m
                    tayajja guttaa viharemu divasa.m
                    ye braahma.naa vedagu sabbadhamme
                    te me namo te ca ma.m paalayantu
                    namatthu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
                    namo vimuttaana.m namo vimuttiyaa
                    ima.m so paritta.m katvaa moro carati esanaa.

                    apetaya~ncakkhumaa ekaraajaa
                    harissava.n.no pa.thavippabhaaso
                    ta.m ta.m namassaami harissava.n.na.m pa.thavippabhaasa.m
                    tayajja guttaa viharemu ratti.m
                    ye braahma.naa vedagu sabbadhamme
                    te me namo te ca ma.m paalayantu
                    namatthu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
                    namo vimuttaana.m namo vimuttiyaa
                    ima.m so paritta.m katvaa moro vaasamakappayii ti.
                    (Jat. ii. 33-6)

                    And a rather free translation from W.H.D. Rouse:

                    There he rises, king all-seeing,
                    Making all things bright with his golden light.
                    Thee I worship, glorious being,
                    Making all things bright with thy golden light,
                    Keep me safe, I pray,
                    Through the coming day.

                    All saints, the righteous, wise in holy lore,
                    These do I honour, and their aid implore:
                    All honour to the wise, to wisdom honour be,
                    To freedom, and to all that freedom has made free.

                    There he sets, king all-seeing,
                    He that makes all bright with his golden light.
                    Thee I worship, glorious being,
                    Making all things bright with thy golden light,
                    Through the night, as through the day,
                    Keep me safe, I pray.

                    All saints, the righteous, wise in holy lore,
                    These do I honour, and their aid implore:
                    All honour to the wise, to wisdom honour be,
                    To freedom, and to all that freedom has made free.

                    Best wishes,
                    Dhammanando Bhikkhu

                    <http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=64051&pa
                    rtner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

                  • Jacques Huynen
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 17, 2006
                      Mixtures of Pâli or other prakrits with Sanskrit are
                      usually called "Hybrid Sankrit".

                      J.Huynen

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Gunnar Gällmo
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 17, 2006
                        --- libris <libris@...> skrev:

                        > Very interesting: it is a mixture of Pali &
                        > Sanskrit.

                        E. g. Sanskrit "vimukti" should be Pali "vimutti",
                        while Pali "namatthu" should, I think, be Sanskrit
                        "namaastu".

                        > I think it is Sinhala Pali or Pali
                        > Sinhala. Is there a technical name fot this usage?

                        I don't know of any Asian term. In Western tradition,
                        we speak about "Macaronic verse", which in Europe
                        mostly meant mixing Latin and the local vernacular, e.
                        g. German as in a Christian medieval hymn:

                        "In dulci jubilo nun singet und seid froh!
                        Unsers Herzens Wonne lieget in praesepio,
                        leuchtet als die Sonne Matris in gremio.
                        Alpha es et O. Alpha es et O."

                        The Non-Latin parts have been translated into several
                        other Western languages, and in
                        http://www.virtuallybaroque.com/track118.htm I find an
                        English version:

                        "In dulci jubilo your praises hereby show,
                        He our hearts sweet treasure lies in praesepio,
                        Is come to do God's pleasure matris in gremio.
                        Alpha es et O. Alpha es et O."

                        Mixed language is nothing new. Even the great model av
                        Classical Latin, Cicero, wrote some letters where
                        every second or third word was Greek.

                        Gunnar
                      • libris
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 17, 2006
                          BHS is more systematic. This is a sort of Sinhalese vernacular, or possible classical Sinhala (I think I am becoming more and more ignorant of this).

                          Anyway, it just shows how Buddhism has seeped into the fabric of a society.

                          Piya