Re: [Pali] Unknown passage in South-Asian script

  • libris
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 15, 2006
      Yong Peng,

      The text is Sinhalese (I don't think it is Pali).
      Hope someone who knows Sinhala can help (and have the time).

      You can try to decipher with the help of
      http://www.omniglot.com/writing/sinhala.htm

      Sukhi

      Piya

      --- Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> wrote:

      > Dear friends,
      >
      > I was asked by a friend to translate into English an unknown passage
      >
      > in a script, which I think is South-Asian. I was told it is a Pali
      >
      > verse.
      >
      > The passage is available online:
      > http://ww

      w.tipitaka.net/unknown.bmp

      > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the
      > passage
      > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters.
      > Thank
      > you.
      >

      > metta,
      > Yong Peng.

    • Geoff Morrison
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 15, 2006

        The passage is written in Sinhala script. It's been
        awhile, since I have worked with Sinhala, but I will
        try to do a translation of the passage for you. I have
        my doubts about whether or not the passage is in Pali.
        You might ask your friend if he or she knows the
        origin of this particular passage, which would be
        helpful for establishing a context for a translation.

        I will get back to you soon about this passage.

        metta,

        Geoff Morrison

        --- Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> wrote:

        > Dear friends,
        >
        > I was asked by a friend to translate into English an
        > unknown passage
        > in a script, which I think is South-Asian. I was
        > told it is a Pali
        > verse.
        >
        > The passage is available online:
        > http://www.tipitaka.net/unknown.bmp
        >
        > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to
        > translate the passage
        > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis
        > characters. Thank
        > you.
        >

        > metta,
        > Yong Peng.

      • gurusinha sena
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 15, 2006
          Dear Mr. Ong

          It is a pali verse, written in Sinhalese. This is the tramslation to Roman characters. m = m dot below

          Ye bhaahmano vedagu sabbha dhamme
          Te me namo teva mam paalayantu
          Namatthu Buddhaanam namatthu bodhiyaa
          Namo vimuktaanam namo vimuktiyaa

          Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> wrote: Dear friends,

          I was asked by a friend to translate into English an unknown passage
          in a script, which I think is South-Asian. I was told it is a Pali
          verse.

          The passage is available online: http://www.tipitaka.net/unknown.bmp

          I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the passage
          in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters. Thank
          you.

        • Nicki Karu
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 16, 2006
            ye braahma.no ce~dagu sabbha dhamme
            te me namo teca ma.m paalayantu
            namathhu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
            namo vimuktaana.m namo vimuktiyaa

            Envoyé le : Mercredi, 16 Août 2006, 5h54mn 47s
            Objet : Re: [Pali] Unknown passage in South-Asian script

            Dear Yong Peng,

            --- Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@gmail. com> wrote:

            > Dear friends,
            >
            > I was asked by a friend to translate into English an
            > unknown passage
            > in a script, which I think is South-Asian. I was
            > told it is a Pali
            > verse.
            >
            > The passage is available online:
            > http://www.tipitaka .net/unknown. bmp
            >
            > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to
            > translate the passage
            > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis
            > characters. Thank
            > you.
            >

            > metta,
            > Yong Peng.

          • Ole Holten Pind
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 16, 2006
              The spelling is a bit odd in places and so is the grammar. The first line is
              somewhat problematic: One would expect braahmane vedaguu and sabbadhamme.
              The verse appears to say: I praise braahamanas, knowledgeable (persons and)
              all dhammas, may they protect me. Hail to the Buddhas! Hail to
              enlightenment! Hail to those who are liberated! Hail to liberation!

              With some reservations concerning the first line,
              Regards
              Ole Pind

              _____

              <http://www.tipitaka.net/unknown.bmp> .net/unknown.bmp

              I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the passage
              in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters. Thank
              you.

              <http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=42671&pa
              rtner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

            • libris
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 16, 2006
                Very interesting: it is a mixture of Pali & Sanskrit. I think it is Sinhala Pali or Pali Sinhala. Is there a technical name fot this usage?

                In Thailand too there is a heavy presence of Pali in classical poetry.

                Piya

                --- gurusinha sena <gurusinhas@...> wrote:

                > Dear Mr. Ong
                >
                > It is a pali verse, written in Sinhalese. This is the tramslation
                > to Roman characters. m = m dot below
                >
                > Ye bhaahmano vedagu sabbha dhamme
                > Te me namo teva mam paalayantu
                > Namatthu Buddhaanam namatthu bodhiyaa
                > Namo vimuktaanam namo vimuktiyaa
                >

                > Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> wrote: Dear friends,
                >
                > I was asked by a friend to translate into English an unknown passage
                >
                > in a script, which I think is South-Asian. I was told it is a Pali
                > verse.
                >
                > The passage is available online:
                > http://www.tipitaka.net/unknown.bmp
                >
                > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the
                > passage
                > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters.
                > Thank
                > you.
                >
                > metta,
                > Yong Peng.

              • libris
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 16, 2006
                  Here is a provisional translation:

                  The brahmnin, a knowledge-master, who knows all the Dharmas [duties?],
                  I hononor you: may you protect me!
                  Homage to the Buddha, homage to Bodhi [awakening]!
                  Homage to the liberated, homage to the liberation!

                  Ah, this is a mantra.

                  --- gurusinha sena <gurusinhas@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Mr. Ong
                  >
                  > It is a pali verse, written in Sinhalese. This is the tramslation
                  > to Roman characters. m = m dot below
                  >
                  > Ye bhaahmano vedagu sabbha dhamme
                  > Te me namo teva mam paalayantu
                  > Namatthu Buddhaanam namatthu bodhiyaa
                  > Namo vimuktaanam namo vimuktiyaa
                  >

                  > Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> wrote: Dear friends,
                  >
                  > I was asked by a friend to translate into English an unknown passage
                  >
                  > in a script, which I think is South-Asian. I was told it is a Pali
                  > verse.
                  >
                  > The passage is available online:
                  > http://www.tipitaka.net/unknown.bmp
                  >
                  > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the
                  > passage
                  > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters.
                  > Thank
                  > you.
                  >
                  > metta,
                  > Yong Peng.

                • dhammanando_bhikkhu
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 16, 2006
                    Dear Yong,

                    > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the passage
                    > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters. Thank
                    > you.

                    It is a rather messy variant form of a verse from the Mora Paritta
                    ("Peacock Protection") from the Mora Jaataka (No. 159). In Thai
                    paritta chanting it comes after the Khandhaparitta ("viruupakkhehi me
                    metta.m...") and before the Va.t.takaparitta ("atthi loke siilagu.no...").

                    This is the full version as found in the _Suat Mon Chabap Luang_ (the
                    Royal Thai chanting book):

                    udetaya~ncakkhumaa ekaraajaa
                    harissava.n.no pa.thavippabhaaso
                    ta.m ta.m namassaami harissava.n.na.m pa.thavippabhaasa.m
                    tayajja guttaa viharemu divasa.m
                    ye braahma.naa vedagu sabbadhamme
                    te me namo te ca ma.m paalayantu
                    namatthu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
                    namo vimuttaana.m namo vimuttiyaa
                    ima.m so paritta.m katvaa moro carati esanaa.

                    apetaya~ncakkhumaa ekaraajaa
                    harissava.n.no pa.thavippabhaaso
                    ta.m ta.m namassaami harissava.n.na.m pa.thavippabhaasa.m
                    tayajja guttaa viharemu ratti.m
                    ye braahma.naa vedagu sabbadhamme
                    te me namo te ca ma.m paalayantu
                    namatthu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
                    namo vimuttaana.m namo vimuttiyaa
                    ima.m so paritta.m katvaa moro vaasamakappayii ti.
                    (Jat. ii. 33-6)

                    And a rather free translation from W.H.D. Rouse:

                    There he rises, king all-seeing,
                    Making all things bright with his golden light.
                    Thee I worship, glorious being,
                    Making all things bright with thy golden light,
                    Keep me safe, I pray,
                    Through the coming day.

                    All saints, the righteous, wise in holy lore,
                    These do I honour, and their aid implore:
                    All honour to the wise, to wisdom honour be,
                    To freedom, and to all that freedom has made free.

                    There he sets, king all-seeing,
                    He that makes all bright with his golden light.
                    Thee I worship, glorious being,
                    Making all things bright with thy golden light,
                    Through the night, as through the day,
                    Keep me safe, I pray.

                    All saints, the righteous, wise in holy lore,
                    These do I honour, and their aid implore:
                    All honour to the wise, to wisdom honour be,
                    To freedom, and to all that freedom has made free.

                    Best wishes,
                    Dhammanando Bhikkhu
                  • Ole Holten Pind
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 17, 2006
                      Thanks for the identification.
                      Ole Pind

                      _____

                      > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the passage
                      > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters. Thank
                      > you.

                      It is a rather messy variant form of a verse from the Mora Paritta
                      ("Peacock Protection") from the Mora Jaataka (No. 159). In Thai
                      paritta chanting it comes after the Khandhaparitta ("viruupakkhehi me
                      metta.m...") and before the Va.t.takaparitta ("atthi loke siilagu.no...").

                      This is the full version as found in the _Suat Mon Chabap Luang_ (the
                      Royal Thai chanting book):

                      udetaya~ncakkhumaa ekaraajaa
                      harissava.n.no pa.thavippabhaaso
                      ta.m ta.m namassaami harissava.n.na.m pa.thavippabhaasa.m
                      tayajja guttaa viharemu divasa.m
                      ye braahma.naa vedagu sabbadhamme
                      te me namo te ca ma.m paalayantu
                      namatthu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
                      namo vimuttaana.m namo vimuttiyaa
                      ima.m so paritta.m katvaa moro carati esanaa.

                      apetaya~ncakkhumaa ekaraajaa
                      harissava.n.no pa.thavippabhaaso
                      ta.m ta.m namassaami harissava.n.na.m pa.thavippabhaasa.m
                      tayajja guttaa viharemu ratti.m
                      ye braahma.naa vedagu sabbadhamme
                      te me namo te ca ma.m paalayantu
                      namatthu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
                      namo vimuttaana.m namo vimuttiyaa
                      ima.m so paritta.m katvaa moro vaasamakappayii ti.
                      (Jat. ii. 33-6)

                      And a rather free translation from W.H.D. Rouse:

                      There he rises, king all-seeing,
                      Making all things bright with his golden light.
                      Thee I worship, glorious being,
                      Making all things bright with thy golden light,
                      Keep me safe, I pray,
                      Through the coming day.

                      All saints, the righteous, wise in holy lore,
                      These do I honour, and their aid implore:
                      All honour to the wise, to wisdom honour be,
                      To freedom, and to all that freedom has made free.

                      There he sets, king all-seeing,
                      He that makes all bright with his golden light.
                      Thee I worship, glorious being,
                      Making all things bright with thy golden light,
                      Through the night, as through the day,
                      Keep me safe, I pray.

                      All saints, the righteous, wise in holy lore,
                      These do I honour, and their aid implore:
                      All honour to the wise, to wisdom honour be,
                      To freedom, and to all that freedom has made free.

                      Best wishes,
                      Dhammanando Bhikkhu

                      <http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=64051&pa
                      rtner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

                    • Jacques Huynen
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 17, 2006
                        Mixtures of Pâli or other prakrits with Sanskrit are
                        usually called "Hybrid Sankrit".

                        J.Huynen

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Gunnar Gällmo
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 17, 2006
                          --- libris <libris@...> skrev:

                          > Very interesting: it is a mixture of Pali &
                          > Sanskrit.

                          E. g. Sanskrit "vimukti" should be Pali "vimutti",
                          while Pali "namatthu" should, I think, be Sanskrit
                          "namaastu".

                          > I think it is Sinhala Pali or Pali
                          > Sinhala. Is there a technical name fot this usage?

                          I don't know of any Asian term. In Western tradition,
                          we speak about "Macaronic verse", which in Europe
                          mostly meant mixing Latin and the local vernacular, e.
                          g. German as in a Christian medieval hymn:

                          "In dulci jubilo nun singet und seid froh!
                          Unsers Herzens Wonne lieget in praesepio,
                          leuchtet als die Sonne Matris in gremio.
                          Alpha es et O. Alpha es et O."

                          The Non-Latin parts have been translated into several
                          other Western languages, and in
                          http://www.virtuallybaroque.com/track118.htm I find an
                          English version:

                          "In dulci jubilo your praises hereby show,
                          He our hearts sweet treasure lies in praesepio,
                          Is come to do God's pleasure matris in gremio.
                          Alpha es et O. Alpha es et O."

                          Mixed language is nothing new. Even the great model av
                          Classical Latin, Cicero, wrote some letters where
                          every second or third word was Greek.

                          Gunnar
                        • libris
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 17, 2006
                            BHS is more systematic. This is a sort of Sinhalese vernacular, or possible classical Sinhala (I think I am becoming more and more ignorant of this).

                            Anyway, it just shows how Buddhism has seeped into the fabric of a society.

                            Piya