Unknown passage in South-Asian script

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 15 5:12 PM

      I was asked by a friend to translate into English an unknown passage
      in a script, which I think is South-Asian. I was told it is a Pali
      verse.

      The passage is available online: http://www.tipitaka.net/unknown.bmp

      I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the passage
      in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters. Thank
      you.

    • libris
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 15 8:12 PM
        Yong Peng,

        The text is Sinhalese (I don't think it is Pali).
        Hope someone who knows Sinhala can help (and have the time).

        You can try to decipher with the help of
        http://www.omniglot.com/writing/sinhala.htm

        Sukhi

        Piya

        --- Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> wrote:

        > Dear friends,
        >
        > I was asked by a friend to translate into English an unknown passage
        >
        > in a script, which I think is South-Asian. I was told it is a Pali
        >
        > verse.
        >
        > The passage is available online:
        > http://ww

        w.tipitaka.net/unknown.bmp

        > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the
        > passage
        > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters.
        > Thank
        > you.
        >

        > metta,
        > Yong Peng.

      • Geoff Morrison
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 15 8:54 PM

          The passage is written in Sinhala script. It's been
          awhile, since I have worked with Sinhala, but I will
          try to do a translation of the passage for you. I have
          my doubts about whether or not the passage is in Pali.
          You might ask your friend if he or she knows the
          origin of this particular passage, which would be
          helpful for establishing a context for a translation.

          I will get back to you soon about this passage.

          metta,

          Geoff Morrison

          --- Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> wrote:

          > Dear friends,
          >
          > I was asked by a friend to translate into English an
          > unknown passage
          > in a script, which I think is South-Asian. I was
          > told it is a Pali
          > verse.
          >
          > The passage is available online:
          > http://www.tipitaka.net/unknown.bmp
          >
          > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to
          > translate the passage
          > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis
          > characters. Thank
          > you.
          >

          > metta,
          > Yong Peng.

        • gurusinha sena
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 15 9:51 PM
            Dear Mr. Ong

            It is a pali verse, written in Sinhalese. This is the tramslation to Roman characters. m = m dot below

            Ye bhaahmano vedagu sabbha dhamme
            Te me namo teva mam paalayantu
            Namatthu Buddhaanam namatthu bodhiyaa
            Namo vimuktaanam namo vimuktiyaa

            Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> wrote: Dear friends,

            I was asked by a friend to translate into English an unknown passage
            in a script, which I think is South-Asian. I was told it is a Pali
            verse.

            The passage is available online: http://www.tipitaka.net/unknown.bmp

            I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the passage
            in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters. Thank
            you.

          • Nicki Karu
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 16 2:00 AM
              ye braahma.no ce~dagu sabbha dhamme
              te me namo teca ma.m paalayantu
              namathhu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
              namo vimuktaana.m namo vimuktiyaa

              Envoyé le : Mercredi, 16 Août 2006, 5h54mn 47s
              Objet : Re: [Pali] Unknown passage in South-Asian script

              Dear Yong Peng,

              --- Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@gmail. com> wrote:

              > Dear friends,
              >
              > I was asked by a friend to translate into English an
              > unknown passage
              > in a script, which I think is South-Asian. I was
              > told it is a Pali
              > verse.
              >
              > The passage is available online:
              > http://www.tipitaka .net/unknown. bmp
              >
              > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to
              > translate the passage
              > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis
              > characters. Thank
              > you.
              >

              > metta,
              > Yong Peng.

            • Ole Holten Pind
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 16 4:21 AM
                The spelling is a bit odd in places and so is the grammar. The first line is
                somewhat problematic: One would expect braahmane vedaguu and sabbadhamme.
                The verse appears to say: I praise braahamanas, knowledgeable (persons and)
                all dhammas, may they protect me. Hail to the Buddhas! Hail to
                enlightenment! Hail to those who are liberated! Hail to liberation!

                With some reservations concerning the first line,
                Regards
                Ole Pind

                _____

                It is a pali verse, written in Sinhalese. This is the tramslation to Roman
                characters. m = m dot below

                Ye bhaahmano vedagu sabbha dhamme
                Te me namo teva mam paalayantu
                Namatthu Buddhaanam namatthu bodhiyaa
                Namo vimuktaanam namo vimuktiyaa

                Dear friends,

                <http://www.tipitaka.net/unknown.bmp> .net/unknown.bmp

                I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the passage
                in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters. Thank
                you.

                <http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=42671&pa
                rtner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

              • libris
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 16 4:34 AM
                  Very interesting: it is a mixture of Pali & Sanskrit. I think it is Sinhala Pali or Pali Sinhala. Is there a technical name fot this usage?

                  In Thailand too there is a heavy presence of Pali in classical poetry.

                  Piya

                  --- gurusinha sena <gurusinhas@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Mr. Ong
                  >
                  > It is a pali verse, written in Sinhalese. This is the tramslation
                  > to Roman characters. m = m dot below
                  >
                  > Ye bhaahmano vedagu sabbha dhamme
                  > Te me namo teva mam paalayantu
                  > Namatthu Buddhaanam namatthu bodhiyaa
                  > Namo vimuktaanam namo vimuktiyaa
                  >

                  > Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> wrote: Dear friends,
                  >
                  > I was asked by a friend to translate into English an unknown passage
                  >
                  > in a script, which I think is South-Asian. I was told it is a Pali
                  > verse.
                  >
                  > The passage is available online:
                  > http://www.tipitaka.net/unknown.bmp
                  >
                  > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the
                  > passage
                  > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters.
                  > Thank
                  > you.
                  >
                  > metta,
                  > Yong Peng.

                • libris
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 16 4:37 AM
                    Here is a provisional translation:

                    The brahmnin, a knowledge-master, who knows all the Dharmas [duties?],
                    I hononor you: may you protect me!
                    Homage to the Buddha, homage to Bodhi [awakening]!
                    Homage to the liberated, homage to the liberation!

                    Ah, this is a mantra.

                    --- gurusinha sena <gurusinhas@...> wrote:

                    > Dear Mr. Ong
                    >
                    > It is a pali verse, written in Sinhalese. This is the tramslation
                    > to Roman characters. m = m dot below
                    >
                    > Ye bhaahmano vedagu sabbha dhamme
                    > Te me namo teva mam paalayantu
                    > Namatthu Buddhaanam namatthu bodhiyaa
                    > Namo vimuktaanam namo vimuktiyaa
                    >

                    > Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> wrote: Dear friends,
                    >
                    > I was asked by a friend to translate into English an unknown passage
                    >
                    > in a script, which I think is South-Asian. I was told it is a Pali
                    > verse.
                    >
                    > The passage is available online:
                    > http://www.tipitaka.net/unknown.bmp
                    >
                    > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the
                    > passage
                    > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters.
                    > Thank
                    > you.
                    >
                    > metta,
                    > Yong Peng.

                  • dhammanando_bhikkhu
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 16 7:40 PM
                      Dear Yong,

                      > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the passage
                      > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters. Thank
                      > you.

                      It is a rather messy variant form of a verse from the Mora Paritta
                      ("Peacock Protection") from the Mora Jaataka (No. 159). In Thai
                      paritta chanting it comes after the Khandhaparitta ("viruupakkhehi me
                      metta.m...") and before the Va.t.takaparitta ("atthi loke siilagu.no...").

                      This is the full version as found in the _Suat Mon Chabap Luang_ (the
                      Royal Thai chanting book):

                      udetaya~ncakkhumaa ekaraajaa
                      harissava.n.no pa.thavippabhaaso
                      ta.m ta.m namassaami harissava.n.na.m pa.thavippabhaasa.m
                      tayajja guttaa viharemu divasa.m
                      ye braahma.naa vedagu sabbadhamme
                      te me namo te ca ma.m paalayantu
                      namatthu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
                      namo vimuttaana.m namo vimuttiyaa
                      ima.m so paritta.m katvaa moro carati esanaa.

                      apetaya~ncakkhumaa ekaraajaa
                      harissava.n.no pa.thavippabhaaso
                      ta.m ta.m namassaami harissava.n.na.m pa.thavippabhaasa.m
                      tayajja guttaa viharemu ratti.m
                      ye braahma.naa vedagu sabbadhamme
                      te me namo te ca ma.m paalayantu
                      namatthu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
                      namo vimuttaana.m namo vimuttiyaa
                      ima.m so paritta.m katvaa moro vaasamakappayii ti.
                      (Jat. ii. 33-6)

                      And a rather free translation from W.H.D. Rouse:

                      There he rises, king all-seeing,
                      Making all things bright with his golden light.
                      Thee I worship, glorious being,
                      Making all things bright with thy golden light,
                      Keep me safe, I pray,
                      Through the coming day.

                      All saints, the righteous, wise in holy lore,
                      These do I honour, and their aid implore:
                      All honour to the wise, to wisdom honour be,
                      To freedom, and to all that freedom has made free.

                      There he sets, king all-seeing,
                      He that makes all bright with his golden light.
                      Thee I worship, glorious being,
                      Making all things bright with thy golden light,
                      Through the night, as through the day,
                      Keep me safe, I pray.

                      All saints, the righteous, wise in holy lore,
                      These do I honour, and their aid implore:
                      All honour to the wise, to wisdom honour be,
                      To freedom, and to all that freedom has made free.

                      Best wishes,
                      Dhammanando Bhikkhu
                    • Ole Holten Pind
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 17 12:06 AM
                        Thanks for the identification.
                        Ole Pind

                        _____

                        > I would appreciate if anyone can help, either to translate the passage
                        > in English, or transliterate it into Roman Velthuis characters. Thank
                        > you.

                        It is a rather messy variant form of a verse from the Mora Paritta
                        ("Peacock Protection") from the Mora Jaataka (No. 159). In Thai
                        paritta chanting it comes after the Khandhaparitta ("viruupakkhehi me
                        metta.m...") and before the Va.t.takaparitta ("atthi loke siilagu.no...").

                        This is the full version as found in the _Suat Mon Chabap Luang_ (the
                        Royal Thai chanting book):

                        udetaya~ncakkhumaa ekaraajaa
                        harissava.n.no pa.thavippabhaaso
                        ta.m ta.m namassaami harissava.n.na.m pa.thavippabhaasa.m
                        tayajja guttaa viharemu divasa.m
                        ye braahma.naa vedagu sabbadhamme
                        te me namo te ca ma.m paalayantu
                        namatthu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
                        namo vimuttaana.m namo vimuttiyaa
                        ima.m so paritta.m katvaa moro carati esanaa.

                        apetaya~ncakkhumaa ekaraajaa
                        harissava.n.no pa.thavippabhaaso
                        ta.m ta.m namassaami harissava.n.na.m pa.thavippabhaasa.m
                        tayajja guttaa viharemu ratti.m
                        ye braahma.naa vedagu sabbadhamme
                        te me namo te ca ma.m paalayantu
                        namatthu buddhaana.m namatthu bodhiyaa
                        namo vimuttaana.m namo vimuttiyaa
                        ima.m so paritta.m katvaa moro vaasamakappayii ti.
                        (Jat. ii. 33-6)

                        And a rather free translation from W.H.D. Rouse:

                        There he rises, king all-seeing,
                        Making all things bright with his golden light.
                        Thee I worship, glorious being,
                        Making all things bright with thy golden light,
                        Keep me safe, I pray,
                        Through the coming day.

                        All saints, the righteous, wise in holy lore,
                        These do I honour, and their aid implore:
                        All honour to the wise, to wisdom honour be,
                        To freedom, and to all that freedom has made free.

                        There he sets, king all-seeing,
                        He that makes all bright with his golden light.
                        Thee I worship, glorious being,
                        Making all things bright with thy golden light,
                        Through the night, as through the day,
                        Keep me safe, I pray.

                        All saints, the righteous, wise in holy lore,
                        These do I honour, and their aid implore:
                        All honour to the wise, to wisdom honour be,
                        To freedom, and to all that freedom has made free.

                        Best wishes,
                        Dhammanando Bhikkhu

                        <http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=64051&pa
                        rtner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

                      • Jacques Huynen
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 17 1:41 AM
                          Mixtures of Pâli or other prakrits with Sanskrit are
                          usually called "Hybrid Sankrit".

                          J.Huynen

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • Gunnar Gällmo
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 17 6:38 AM
                            --- libris <libris@...> skrev:

                            > Very interesting: it is a mixture of Pali &
                            > Sanskrit.

                            E. g. Sanskrit "vimukti" should be Pali "vimutti",
                            while Pali "namatthu" should, I think, be Sanskrit
                            "namaastu".

                            > I think it is Sinhala Pali or Pali
                            > Sinhala. Is there a technical name fot this usage?

                            I don't know of any Asian term. In Western tradition,
                            we speak about "Macaronic verse", which in Europe
                            mostly meant mixing Latin and the local vernacular, e.
                            g. German as in a Christian medieval hymn:

                            "In dulci jubilo nun singet und seid froh!
                            Unsers Herzens Wonne lieget in praesepio,
                            leuchtet als die Sonne Matris in gremio.
                            Alpha es et O. Alpha es et O."

                            The Non-Latin parts have been translated into several
                            other Western languages, and in
                            http://www.virtuallybaroque.com/track118.htm I find an
                            English version:

                            "In dulci jubilo your praises hereby show,
                            He our hearts sweet treasure lies in praesepio,
                            Is come to do God's pleasure matris in gremio.
                            Alpha es et O. Alpha es et O."

                            Mixed language is nothing new. Even the great model av
                            Classical Latin, Cicero, wrote some letters where
                            every second or third word was Greek.

                            Gunnar
                          • libris
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 17 6:55 AM
                              BHS is more systematic. This is a sort of Sinhalese vernacular, or possible classical Sinhala (I think I am becoming more and more ignorant of this).

                              Anyway, it just shows how Buddhism has seeped into the fabric of a society.

                              Piya