Re: [Pali] Re: AN 1.6

  • madan tandon
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 5, 2006
      Dear Stephen.

      Your assertive and presumptuous statement that the there is no such sanskrit word as "yoJana". My attempt was to differentiate the J sound from the G sound, as you may visualize from the devnagari alphabet.
      My presenting of the sanskrit cognate yojana with a capital J was not attempt to show it from transcription point of view.
      I have already posted the long definitions of 'YOJNA"
      Yogna however is also a sanskrit word.

      Hope that clarifies the matter

      truly
      biloo

      Stephen Hodge <s.hodge@...> wrote: madan tandon wrote:

      > meaning of "Yogana" and "yoJana" are quite different.
      What is this "yoJana" ? In the style of transcription which uses a capital
      J, the J stands for ~n (n tilde). But there is no such Sanskrit word. Do
      you mean YuJjAna ? But in any case, you are mistaken: jhaana/dhyaana is not
      and cannot be cognate with any derivatives from the YUJ root.

      Best wishes,
      Stephen Hodge