Re: [Pali] Re: AN 1.6

  • madan tandon
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 5, 2006
      My attempt was not to remove "H" from pali "Jhanna.: but rather to present one of the many sanskrit cognates. Hence the sanskrit word brought forth was " yoJana

      with thanks,
      biloo

      Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote: Dear Scott and Biloo,
      For a word derivation we cannot leave out the *h* from jhaana. it is
      not jana.
      Nina.
      Op 4-aug-2006, om 4:40 heeft Scott Duncan het volgende geschreven:

      > B: "Firstly Jhanna is a cognate of a Sanskrit word yoJana, more at
      > concentration that absorption."

    • madan tandon
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 5, 2006
        Dear Stephen.

        Your assertive and presumptuous statement that the there is no such sanskrit word as "yoJana". My attempt was to differentiate the J sound from the G sound, as you may visualize from the devnagari alphabet.
        My presenting of the sanskrit cognate yojana with a capital J was not attempt to show it from transcription point of view.
        I have already posted the long definitions of 'YOJNA"
        Yogna however is also a sanskrit word.

        Hope that clarifies the matter

        truly
        biloo

        Stephen Hodge <s.hodge@...> wrote: madan tandon wrote:

        > meaning of "Yogana" and "yoJana" are quite different.
        What is this "yoJana" ? In the style of transcription which uses a capital
        J, the J stands for ~n (n tilde). But there is no such Sanskrit word. Do
        you mean YuJjAna ? But in any case, you are mistaken: jhaana/dhyaana is not
        and cannot be cognate with any derivatives from the YUJ root.

        Best wishes,
        Stephen Hodge