aha.m asmi & aha.m homi

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2006
      Greetings, tumhe.

      What is the difference(s) between "aha.m asmi" and "aha.m homi"? They
      *are* different, so it hardly follows that both mean "I am" or that they
      are freely interchangeable. And is there any correspondence with to the
      differences b/t, for example, "ser" and "estar" in Spanish or "sein" and
      "werden" in German?

      Take "estar": It's used in the sense of location (Yo estoy aqui...I am
      here), to describe health and temporary feelings, in the present
      progressive (I am typing), and in a few other ways. "Ser", on the other
      hand, is used to identify people (Un Tathagata es un maestro...A
      Tathhagata is a teacher), to express what an object is made of, to tell
      time, to form genaralizations (Es importante estudiar el Dhamma...It's
      important to study the Dhamma), and in a few other ways.

      Thanks,

      Paul
      Chicago