Re: [Pali] Re: AN 1.6

    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 4, 2006
      Dear Scott and Biloo,
      For a word derivation we cannot leave out the *h* from jhaana. it is
      not jana.
      Nina.
      Op 4-aug-2006, om 4:40 heeft Scott Duncan het volgende geschreven:

      > B: "Firstly Jhanna is a cognate of a Sanskrit word yoJana, more at
      > concentration that absorption."

    • madan tandon
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 4, 2006
        Dear Yong Pong,
        May I pose a candid question, "I wonder if you can read Devnagri scritp"

        Yogana as you described and used in your comments is quiet different than yoJana. I have already given the definition of yoJana.

        Yogana as you included in your reply has a GA sound whereas yoJana has a JA sound, meaning of "Yogana" and "yoJana" are quite different.

        truly
        biloo

        =================

        Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> wrote: Dear Biloo and Scott,

        I am very reluctant to understand jhaana from yogana, not matter how
        closely related they are. As I mentioned earlier, the Sanskrit
        equivalent of jhaana is dhyana, a word which can be found in any
        good Sankrit dictionary.

        dhyana [ dhyâ.ana ] n. meditation; religious contemplation: -
        tatpara, a. lost in thought; -dhîra, a. absorbed in thought; -para,
        a. id.; -yoga, m. deep meditation, religious ab sorption; -vat, a.
        devoted to religious medi tation; -sthita, pp. absorbed in thought.

        dhyāna n. meditation, thought, reflection, (esp.) profound and
        abstract religious meditation.

        Ven. Dhammadhiro and Nina had both given good explanations of jhaana
        in earlier mails. The English word 'absorption' is only a word of
        choice for some English translators. I would leave jhaana
        untranslated as 'jhana'.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Scott Duncan wrote:

        "Firstly Jhanna is a cognate of a Sanskrit word yoJana, more at
        concentration that absorption."

      • Stephen Hodge
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 4, 2006
          madan tandon wrote:

          > meaning of "Yogana" and "yoJana" are quite different.
          What is this "yoJana" ? In the style of transcription which uses a capital
          J, the J stands for ~n (n tilde). But there is no such Sanskrit word. Do
          you mean YuJjAna ? But in any case, you are mistaken: jhaana/dhyaana is not
          and cannot be cognate with any derivatives from the YUJ root.

          Best wishes,
          Stephen Hodge
        • madan tandon
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 5, 2006
            My attempt was not to remove "H" from pali "Jhanna.: but rather to present one of the many sanskrit cognates. Hence the sanskrit word brought forth was " yoJana

            with thanks,
            biloo

            Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote: Dear Scott and Biloo,

            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 5, 2006
              Dear Stephen.

              Your assertive and presumptuous statement that the there is no such sanskrit word as "yoJana". My attempt was to differentiate the J sound from the G sound, as you may visualize from the devnagari alphabet.
              My presenting of the sanskrit cognate yojana with a capital J was not attempt to show it from transcription point of view.
              I have already posted the long definitions of 'YOJNA"
              Yogna however is also a sanskrit word.

              Hope that clarifies the matter

              truly
              biloo