Re: AN 1.6

    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 4 5:35 AM
      Dear Biloo and Scott,

      I am very reluctant to understand jhaana from yogana, not matter how
      closely related they are. As I mentioned earlier, the Sanskrit
      equivalent of jhaana is dhyana, a word which can be found in any
      good Sankrit dictionary.

      dhyana [ dhyâ.ana ] n. meditation; religious contemplation: -
      tatpara, a. lost in thought; -dhîra, a. absorbed in thought; -para,
      a. id.; -yoga, m. deep meditation, religious ab sorption; -vat, a.
      devoted to religious medi tation; -sthita, pp. absorbed in thought.

      dhyāna n. meditation, thought, reflection, (esp.) profound and
      abstract religious meditation.

      Ven. Dhammadhiro and Nina had both given good explanations of jhaana
      in earlier mails. The English word 'absorption' is only a word of
      choice for some English translators. I would leave jhaana
      untranslated as 'jhana'.

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Scott Duncan wrote:

      "Firstly Jhanna is a cognate of a Sanskrit word yoJana, more at
      concentration that absorption."
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 4 6:36 AM
        Dear Scott and Biloo,
        For a word derivation we cannot leave out the *h* from jhaana. it is
        not jana.
        Nina.
        Op 4-aug-2006, om 4:40 heeft Scott Duncan het volgende geschreven:

        > B: "Firstly Jhanna is a cognate of a Sanskrit word yoJana, more at
        > concentration that absorption."

      • madan tandon
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 4 6:37 AM
          Dear Yong Pong,
          May I pose a candid question, "I wonder if you can read Devnagri scritp"

          Yogana as you described and used in your comments is quiet different than yoJana. I have already given the definition of yoJana.

          Yogana as you included in your reply has a GA sound whereas yoJana has a JA sound, meaning of "Yogana" and "yoJana" are quite different.

          truly
          biloo

          =================

          Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> wrote: Dear Biloo and Scott,

[...]

        • Stephen Hodge
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 4 5:52 PM
            madan tandon wrote:

            > meaning of "Yogana" and "yoJana" are quite different.
            What is this "yoJana" ? In the style of transcription which uses a capital
            J, the J stands for ~n (n tilde). But there is no such Sanskrit word. Do
            you mean YuJjAna ? But in any case, you are mistaken: jhaana/dhyaana is not
            and cannot be cognate with any derivatives from the YUJ root.

            Best wishes,
            Stephen Hodge
          • madan tandon
            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 5 6:43 AM
              Dear Nina,
              My attempt was not to remove "H" from pali "Jhanna.: but rather to present one of the many sanskrit cognates. Hence the sanskrit word brought forth was " yoJana

              with thanks,
              biloo

              Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote: Dear Scott and Biloo,

              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 5 6:52 AM
                Dear Stephen.

                Your assertive and presumptuous statement that the there is no such sanskrit word as "yoJana". My attempt was to differentiate the J sound from the G sound, as you may visualize from the devnagari alphabet.
                My presenting of the sanskrit cognate yojana with a capital J was not attempt to show it from transcription point of view.
                I have already posted the long definitions of 'YOJNA"
                Yogna however is also a sanskrit word.

                Hope that clarifies the matter

                truly
                biloo