Re: AN 1.6

  • dhammadhiro
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 1 6:12 PM

      There are 9 particles altogether to substitute possession meaning in
      taddhita form: vii, sa, sii, ika, ii, ra, vantu, mantu, and .n. The
      particle 'in' as you mentioned may be of Sanskrit sort.
      The meaning of '.n' (or 'a' with stressing of first syllable) particle is that
      the particle '.n' is actually 'a' particle, but with a specification that if the
      first syllable of the word is 'lahu' or low stressing syllable (a, i, and u),
      that syllable has to be stressed (a as aa, i as e, and u as o)
      ex. subhaago assa atthiiti sobhaago = good proportion is belonging to
      him, so he is called sobhaaga one who has good proportion. For if first
      syllable that is 'garu' or high stressing already (aa, ii, uu, e, o, and [a i
      u] followed by consonant ending) stressing is no need anymore (like:
      saddho one who has faith (saddhaa assa atthiiti saddho).
      The stressing in first syllable is a USUAL way for particle containing '.n'.
      In other words, there are many words in this form which without
      stressing like 'sato' = one who has mindfulness (from 'sati') etc.
      So '.n' particle is not 'a' particle in ordinary.

      I'm glad you got something from the last posting.

      Mettacittena,
      Dhammadhiro

      > Venerable Dhammadhiro,
      > Thank you, I profit from your explanation of taddhita. It is in
      > Warder Lesson 25 9p. 252) but I had forgotten about it.
      > I do not understand yet: Jhaano is from '.N' (or 'a' with stressing
      > of first syllable) particle which
      > to represent meaning 'who has'.
      > But I read in Warder the examples of -in, -mant, -vant denoting
      > possession.
      > Jhaana can be translated as contemplating. I just read in the Tiika
      > to Visuddhimagga (Ch XVII, 92):
      > <Lakkha.naaramma.nuupanijjhaanabhuutaana.m vitakkaadiina.m
      > vitakkanaadivasena
      > aaramma.na.m upagantvaa nijjhaana.m pekkhana.m, cintana.m vaa
      > vitakkaadiina.myeva aave.niko
      > byaapaaro upanijjhaayana.t.tho. >
      > This also refers to the two kinds of jhaana in samatha (aaramma.na,
      > the meditation subjects) and in vipassanaa (lakkha.na).
      > Respectfully,
      > Nina.
      > Op 31-jul-2006, om 14:09 heeft dhammadhiro het volgende
      geschreven:

      > > There is a wordform called 'taddhita' in Paali. there is many kind
      > > of that
      > > taddhita. Taddhita is a way to confine word/s by substitution of
      > > particles. those particle have their meanings. one particle can
      > > represent
      > > many meanings or on contrary many particle can represent one
      > > meaning.
      > > Jhaano is from '.N' (or 'a' with stressing of first syllable)
      > > particle which
      > > to represent meaning 'who has'.
      > > 'Jhaana.m assa atthiiti jhaano'
      > > = the one who has jhaana is called jhaano (jhaano is in first
      singular
      > > masculine derivation form, like nara to be naro).
      > > jhana is a noun, but after in form of taddhita it become adjective to
      > > qualify a noun and the gender is following on the noun it is hang at.
      > >
      > > besides above. I'd like to discuss about the meaning of jhaana. is
      > > absorbtion the proper translation of it? in my view, jhaana is a
      > > composing energy of mind attentiveness on one object. So, the
      > > translation staring or contemplating is more agreeable than
      absorbing.

    • libris
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 2 2:04 AM
        Scott,

        This is ver interesting: could there be two possible senses of jhaana (meditation, as is jhayatha bhikkhave, as dhyana or absorption)?

        How can we know the context?

        Piya Tan

        --- Scott Duncan <scduncan@...> wrote:

        > Dear Dhammadhiro (Venerable?),
        >
        > D: "Let me try to answer your Q"
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > D: "There is a wordform called 'taddhita' in Paali. there is many
        > kind of that taddhita. Taddhita is a way to confine word/s by
        > substitution of particles. those particle have their meanings. one
        > particle can represent many meanings or on contrary many particle
        > can
        > represent one meaning. Jhaano is from '.N' (or 'a' with stressing
        > of
        > first syllable) particle which to represent meaning 'who has'.
        > 'Jhaana.m assa atthiiti jhaano'= the one who has jhaana is called
        > jhaano (jhaano is in first singular masculine derivation form, like
        > nara to be naro). jhana is a noun, but after in form of taddhita
        > it
        > become adjective to qualify a noun and the gender is following on
        > the
        > noun it is hang at."
        >
        > "Jhaano," then is an adjective in the vagga in question. It refers
        > bhikkhu. It is saying that one must "have" jhaana all the time. I
        > agree, there must be different senses or meanings to this jhaana
        > used
        > this way.
        >
        > Sincerely,
        >
        > Scott.

      • Scott Duncan
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 2 5:17 AM
          Hello,

          P: "This is ver[y] interesting: could there be two possible senses of
          jhaana (meditation, as is jhayatha bhikkhave, as dhyana or absorption)?

          "How can we know the context?"

          Forgive me, I'm a total beginner and so can't say much. I think I was
          looking at the Paali because I can't makes sense of what seemed to be
          the instruction to remain in "jhaana" all the time. Understood as
          "jhaana" as the meditative absorption, which I also understand
          precludes discursive thought when so absorbed, I couldn't understand.
          I thought there must be other senses of jhaana, then, such that one
          could be "in" it while going through one's day.

          Sincerely,

          Scott.
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 3 1:51 AM
            Venerable Dahammadhiro,
            Thank you very much for the additional material on the particles. It
            may not be easy to recognize them in the texts.
            Respectfully,
            Nina.
            Op 2-aug-2006, om 3:12 heeft dhammadhiro het volgende geschreven:

            > There are 9 particles altogether to substitute possession meaning in
            > taddhita form: vii, sa, sii, ika, ii, ra, vantu, mantu, and .n. The
            > particle 'in' as you mentioned may be of Sanskrit sort.
            > The meaning of '.n' (or 'a' with stressing of first syllable)
            > particle is that
            > the particle '.n' is actually 'a' particle, but with a
            > specification that if the
            > first syllable of the word is 'lahu' or low stressing syllable (a,
            > i, and u),
            > that syllable has to be stressed (a as aa, i as e, and u as o)

          • madan tandon
            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 3 5:31 AM
              Dear Scot,
              Your questions are superb. Firstly Jhanna is a cognate of a Sanskrit word yoJana, more at concentration that absorption. Pertaining to your question
              ," I thought there must be other senses such that one could be in it while going thru one's day." Here is how yoJana is defined:

              yoJana = n. joining , yoking , harnessing Pa1rGr2. Hariv. ; that which is yoked or harnessed , a team , vehicle (also applied to the hymns and prayers addressed to the gods) RV. ; course , path ib. ; (sometimes m. ; ifc. f. %{A}) a stage or Yojana (i.e. a distance traversed in one harnessing or without unyoking ; esp. a partic. measure of distance , sometimes regarded as equal to 4 or 5 English miles , but more correctly = 4 Kros3as or about 9 miles ; according to other calculations = 2 1/2 English miles , and according to some = 8 Kros3as) RV. &c. &c. ; instigation , stimulation Sa1h. ; mental concentration , abstraction , directing the thoughts to one point (= %{yoga}) Up. ; the Supreme Spirit of the Universe (= %{paramA7tman}) L. ; a finger L. ; n. and (%{A}) f. use , application , arrangement , preparation RV. Ka1tyS3r. MBh. Sa1h. ; erecting , constructing , building Ra1jat. Katha1s. ; junction , union , combination Sa1h. Veda7ntas. ; (%{A}) f. application of the sense
              of a passage , grammatical construction S3am2k.

              truly,
              biloo_5

              -------------------------------

              Scott Duncan <scduncan@...> wrote: Hello,

              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 3 7:40 PM
                Dear Biloo,

                B: "Your questions are superb."

                Thank you so much. I appreciate the answers even more!

                B: "Firstly Jhanna is a cognate of a Sanskrit word yoJana, more at
                concentration that absorption."

                So, this would mean that one could maintain "concentration" without
                having to remain "absorbed."

                B: "Pertaining to your question," I thought there must be other
[...]

                Thank you. How does one reconcile the two different words? How much
                of the sanskrit does the cognate contain, if you know what I mean?
                That is, how much of the meaning of the cognate is one to read into
                the meaning of the derivative? It does seem to help one fix the
                meaning, in this case, in a way that makes sense: one can concentrate
                and carry on living and thinking much more sensibly than can one while
                deeply absorbed in one of the jhaana-states. Is the sense, then, more
                like that of sati or satipa.t.thaana?

                Sincerely,

                Scott.
                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 4 5:35 AM
                  Dear Biloo and Scott,

                  I am very reluctant to understand jhaana from yogana, not matter how
                  closely related they are. As I mentioned earlier, the Sanskrit
                  equivalent of jhaana is dhyana, a word which can be found in any
                  good Sankrit dictionary.

                  dhyana [ dhyâ.ana ] n. meditation; religious contemplation: -
                  tatpara, a. lost in thought; -dhîra, a. absorbed in thought; -para,
                  a. id.; -yoga, m. deep meditation, religious ab sorption; -vat, a.
                  devoted to religious medi tation; -sthita, pp. absorbed in thought.

                  dhyāna n. meditation, thought, reflection, (esp.) profound and
                  abstract religious meditation.

                  Ven. Dhammadhiro and Nina had both given good explanations of jhaana
                  in earlier mails. The English word 'absorption' is only a word of
                  choice for some English translators. I would leave jhaana
                  untranslated as 'jhana'.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 4 6:36 AM
                    Dear Scott and Biloo,
                    For a word derivation we cannot leave out the *h* from jhaana. it is
                    not jana.
                    Nina.
                    Op 4-aug-2006, om 4:40 heeft Scott Duncan het volgende geschreven:

                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 4 6:37 AM
                      Dear Yong Pong,
                      May I pose a candid question, "I wonder if you can read Devnagri scritp"

                      Yogana as you described and used in your comments is quiet different than yoJana. I have already given the definition of yoJana.

                      Yogana as you included in your reply has a GA sound whereas yoJana has a JA sound, meaning of "Yogana" and "yoJana" are quite different.

                      truly
                      biloo

                      =================

                      Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> wrote: Dear Biloo and Scott,

[...]

                    • Stephen Hodge
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 4 5:52 PM
                        madan tandon wrote:

                        > meaning of "Yogana" and "yoJana" are quite different.
                        What is this "yoJana" ? In the style of transcription which uses a capital
                        J, the J stands for ~n (n tilde). But there is no such Sanskrit word. Do
                        you mean YuJjAna ? But in any case, you are mistaken: jhaana/dhyaana is not
                        and cannot be cognate with any derivatives from the YUJ root.

                        Best wishes,
                        Stephen Hodge
                      • madan tandon
                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 5 6:43 AM
                          My attempt was not to remove "H" from pali "Jhanna.: but rather to present one of the many sanskrit cognates. Hence the sanskrit word brought forth was " yoJana

                          with thanks,
                          biloo

                          Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote: Dear Scott and Biloo,

                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 5 6:52 AM
                            Dear Stephen.

                            Your assertive and presumptuous statement that the there is no such sanskrit word as "yoJana". My attempt was to differentiate the J sound from the G sound, as you may visualize from the devnagari alphabet.
                            My presenting of the sanskrit cognate yojana with a capital J was not attempt to show it from transcription point of view.
                            I have already posted the long definitions of 'YOJNA"
                            Yogna however is also a sanskrit word.

                            Hope that clarifies the matter

                            truly
                            biloo