AN1.19.1-38 Kaayagataasati Vagga (1/3)

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 30, 2006
      Dear Nina, John and friends,

      here is the first instalment of Kaayagataasati Vagga. We had seen
      the compound "kaayagataasati" previously. Now, it is the title of a
      vagga.

      This message is a new thread on its own. As mentioned earlier, the
      new Yahoo! Group's archival system can get a bit messy if all
      messages are interlinked, so postings for each vagga (or sutta) will
      form its own thread.

      Kaayagataasati Vagga

      1. "yassa kassaci, bhikkhave, mahaasamuddo cetasaa phu.to antogadhaa
      tassa kunnadiyo yaa kaaci samudda`ngamaa; evameva.m, bhikkhave,
      yassa kassaci kaayagataa sati bhaavitaa bahuliikataa antogadhaa
      tassa kusalaa dhammaa ye keci vijjaabhaagiyaa"ti.

      2-8. "ekadhammo, bhikkhave, bhaavito bahuliikato mahato sa.mvegaaya
      sa.mvattati... mahato atthaaya sa.mvattati... mahato yogakkhemaaya
      sa.mvattati... satisampaja~n~naaya sa.mvattati...
      ~naa.nadassanappa.tilaabhaaya sa.mvattati...
      di.t.thadhammasukhavihaaraaya sa.mvattati...
      vijjaavimuttiphalasacchikiriyaaya sa.mvattati. katamo ekadhammo?
      kaayagataa sati. aya.m kho, bhikkhave, ekadhammo bhaavito
      bahuliikato mahato sa.mvegaaya sa.mvattati... mahato atthaaya
      sa.mvattati... mahato yogakkhemaaya sa.mvattati...
      satisampaja~n~naaya sa.mvattati... ~naa.nadassanappa.tilaabhaaya
      sa.mvattati... di.t.thadhammasukhavihaaraaya sa.mvattati...
      vijjaavimuttiphalasacchikiriyaaya sa.mvattatii"ti.

      9. "ekadhamme, bhikkhave, bhaavite bahuliikate kaayopi passambhati,
      cittampi passambhati, vitakkavicaaraapi vuupasammanti, kevalaapi
      vijjaabhaagiyaa dhammaa bhaavanaapaaripuuri.m gacchanti. katamasmi.m
      ekadhamme? kaayagataaya satiyaa. imasmi.m kho, bhikkhave, ekadhamme
      bhaavite bahuliikate kaayopi passambhati, cittampi passambhati,
      vitakkavicaaraapi vuupasammanti, kevalaapi vijjaabhaagiyaa dhammaa
      bhaavanaapaaripuuri.m gacchantii"ti.

      10. "ekadhamme, bhikkhave, bhaavite bahuliikate anuppannaa ceva
      akusalaa dhammaa nuppajjanti, uppannaa ca akusalaa dhammaa
      pahiiyanti. katamasmi.m ekadhamme? kaayagataaya satiyaa. imasmi.m
      kho, bhikkhave, ekadhamme bhaavite bahuliikate anuppannaa ceva
      akusalaa dhammaa nuppajjanti, uppannaa ca akusalaa dhammaa
      pahiiyantii"ti.

      A`nguttaranikaaya: Ekakanipaata

      Kaayagataasativagga
      mindfulness of the body / chapter
      Chapter on the Mindfulness of the Body

      Note: While as separate entity, "kaayagataa sati" is grammatically
      correct because sati is feminine, I believe when they come together
      as a compound, it should be "kaayagatasati" not "kaayagataasati".
      Otherwise, 'kaayagataa' has to be indeclinable, in which 'gataa' is
      the ablative of 'gata'.

      1. "Yassa kassaci, bhikkhave, mahaasamuddo cetasaa phu.to antogadhaa
      tassa* kunnadiyo yaa kaaci samudda`ngamaa;
      for which / for any / monks / great ocean / by mind / pervaded /
      convergingly / for that / streams / which / any / leading to ocean
      "O monks, for any (or) for whichever great ocean conceived by the
      mind, convergingly, for it (there are) the streams any (of) which
      (is) leading to the ocean;

      * yassa (rel pron, dat/gen) to/for/of which.
      * kassaci: to/for/of any.
      - kassa (interr pron, dat/gen) which? what?
      - ci (indefinite interr particle).
      * bhikkhu (m) monk.
      * mahaasamudda (m) great ocean.
      - mahant (adj) great.
      - samudda (m) a large quantity of water, ocean, sea.
      * cetasaa (ins of ceto) with/by mind.
      * phu.ta (pp of paharati) pervaded, permeated, spread with.
      * antogadhaa = anto ogadha (indecl?, adv?) [lit.] merging into
      the end.
      - anta (m) end, goal, finish.
      - ogadha (adj, suffix) merging into.
      * ta (rel pron) that.
      * kunnadii (f) small river, stream, tributary.
      * samudda`ngama (adj) leading to the ocean.
      - gama (adj, suffix) going to, leading to.

      * Commentary: Antogadhaa tassaati tassa bhikkhuno bhaavanaaya
      abbhantaragataava honti. Can someone please explain the meaning
      of "abbhantaragataava", thanks.

      evameva.m*, bhikkhave, yassa kassaci kaayagataa sati bhaavitaa
      bahuliikataa antogadhaa tassa kusalaa dhammaa ye keci
      vijjaabhaagiyaa"ti.
      just so / monks / for whom / for any / relating to the body /
      mindfulness / developed / practised / convergingly / for that /
      wholesome / qualities / which / any / conducive to wisdom
      in the same way, monks, for any (of) whom the mindfulness of the
      body is developed and practised, convergingly, for him (there are)
      the wholesome qualities any (of) which (is) conducive to wisdom."

      * evameva.m [sandhi] eva.m eva.m: just so.
      - eva.m (adv) so, thus, in this way.
      * kaayagata (adj) relating to the body.
      - kaaya (m) body.
      * sati (f) mindfulness.
      * bhaavita (pp of bhaaveti) developed, cultivated, cultured.
      * bahuliikataa (pp of bahuliikaroti) taken up seriously,
      practised, devoted oneself to.
      * kusala (adj) good, skilful, wholesome.
      * dhamma (m) virtue, quality.
      * vijjaabhaagiya (adj) conducive to wisdom.

      * SLTP has "evameva kho".

      2-8. "Ekadhammo, bhikkhave, bhaavito bahuliikato mahato sa.mvegaaya
      sa.mvattati... mahato atthaaya sa.mvattati... mahato yogakkhemaaya
      sa.mvattati... satisampaja~n~naaya sa.mvattati...
      ~naa.nadassanappa.tilaabhaaya sa.mvattati...
      di.t.thadhammasukhavihaaraaya sa.mvattati...
      vijjaavimuttiphalasacchikiriyaaya sa.mvattati.
      one thing / monks / developed / practised / to great / to religious
      emotion / leads to / to great / to advantage / leads to / to great /
      to release from attachments / leads to / to mindfulness and wisdom /
      leads to / to attainment of perfect knowledge / leads to / to living
      at ease in this world / leads to / to realisation of the fruit of
      emancipation through wisdom / leads to
      "One thing, O monks, (when) developed and practised leads to great
      emotion, to great benefit, to great release from attachments, to
      mindfulness and wisdom, to the attainment of perfect knowledge, to
      living at ease in this world, to the realisation of the fruit of
      emancipation through wisdom.

      * ekadhamma = eka dhamma (n) one thing.
      - eka (adj) one.
      - dhamma (n) thing, phenomenon.
      * sa.mvega (m) religious emotion.
      * sa.mvattati (v) leads to, is useful for.
      * attha (m, n) advantage.
      * yogakkhema (m) release from attachments.
      * satisampaja~n~na (n) mindfulness and wisdom.
      * ~naa.nadassanappa.tilaabha (m) attainment of perfect knowledge.
      - ~naa.nadassana (n) perfect knowledge.
      - pa.tilaabha (m) attainment.
      * di.t.thadhammasukhavihaara (m) living at ease in this world.
      - di.t.thadhamma (m) this world.
      - sukhavihaara (m) living at ease.
      * vijjaavimuttiphalasacchikiriya (f) realisation of the fruit of
      emancipation through wisdom.
      - vijjaavimutti (f) emancipation through wisdom.
      - phala (n) fruit.
      - sacchikiriyaa (f) realisation.

      Katamo ekadhammo?
      which / one thing
      Which one thing?

      * katama (adj) which? what?

      Kaayagataa sati.
      relating to the body / mindfulness
      Mindfulness of the body.

      Aya.m kho, bhikkhave, ekadhammo bhaavito bahuliikato mahato
      sa.mvegaaya sa.mvattati... mahato atthaaya sa.mvattati... mahato
      yogakkhemaaya sa.mvattati... satisampaja~n~naaya sa.mvattati...
      ~naa.nadassanappa.tilaabhaaya sa.mvattati...
      di.t.thadhammasukhavihaaraaya sa.mvattati...
      vijjaavimuttiphalasacchikiriyaaya sa.mvattatii"ti.
      this / indeed / monks / one thing / developed / practised / to
      great / to religious emotion / leads to / to great / to advantage /
      leads to / to great / to release from attachments / leads to / to
      mindfulness and wisdom / leads to / to attainment of perfect
      knowledge / leads to / to living at ease in this world / leads to /
      to realisation of the fruit of emancipation through wisdom / leads to
      Indeed, monks, this one thing, (when) developed and practised, leads
      to great emotion, to great benefit, to great release from
      attachments, to mindfulness and wisdom, to the attainment of perfect
      knowledge, to living at ease in this world, to the realisation of
      the fruit of emancipation through wisdom."

      * aya.m (dem pron) this.
      * kho (emphatic particle) indeed, really, surely.

      9. "Ekadhamme, bhikkhave, bhaavite bahuliikate kaayopi passambhati,
      cittampi passambhati, vitakkavicaaraapi vuupasammanti, kevalaapi
      vijjaabhaagiyaa dhammaa bhaavanaapaaripuuri.m gacchanti.
      in one thing / monks / in developed / in practised / body-even /
      calms down / mind-even / calms down / reflection and deliberation /
      are tranquilised / whole-even / conducive to wisdom / qualities /
      completion of mental development / go
      "Within one thing, O monks, (when) developed and practised, even the
      body calms down, even the mind calms down, even the flow of thoughts
      is tranquilised, even full qualities conducive to wisdom advance
      (to) completion of (mental) development.

      * passambhati (v) calms down.
      * cittampi [sandhi] citta.m pi.
      - citta (n) mind.
      - pi (ind, emphatic) even, just so.
      * vitakkavicaaraapi [sandhi] vitakkavicaaraa pi.
      - vitakkavicaara (m) flow of thoughts.
      -- vitakka (m) reflection.
      -- vicaara (m) deliberation.
      * vuupasammati (v) is tranquilised.
      * kevala (adj) whole, entire.
      * bhaavanaapaaripuuri (f) completion of mental development.
      - bhaavanaa (f) mental development.
      - paaripuuri (f) fulfillment, completion.
      * gacchati (v) goes.

      Katamasmi.m ekadhamme?
      in which / in one thing
      Within which (one) thing?

      Kaayagataaya satiyaa.
      in relating to the body / in mindfulness
      Within the mindfulness of the body.

      Imasmi.m kho, bhikkhave, ekadhamme bhaavite bahuliikate kaayopi
      passambhati, cittampi passambhati, vitakkavicaaraapi vuupasammanti,
      kevalaapi vijjaabhaagiyaa dhammaa bhaavanaapaaripuuri.m
      gacchantii"ti.
      in this / indeed / monks in one thing / in developed / in
      practised / body-even / calms down / mind-even / calms down /
      reflection and deliberation / are tranquilised / whole-even /
      conducive to wisdom / qualities / completion of mental development /
      go
      Indeed, monks, within this (one) thing, (when) developed and
      practised, even the body calms down, even the mind calms down, even
      the flow of thoughts is tranquilised, even full qualities conducive
      to wisdom advance (to) completion of (mental) development."

      10. "Ekadhamme, bhikkhave, bhaavite bahuliikate anuppannaa ceva
      akusalaa dhammaa nuppajjanti, uppannaa ca akusalaa dhammaa
      pahiiyanti.
      in one thing / monks / in developed / in practised / unarisen / and-
      so / unwholesome / states / do not arise / arisen / and /
      unwholesome / states / fade
      "Within one thing, O monks, (when) developed and practised, so,
      unarisen unwholesome states do not arise, and arisen unwholesome
      states fade out.

      * anuppanna = na uppanna (adj) unarisen.
      - uppanna (pp of uppajjati) born, arisen.
      * ceva [sandhi] ca eva.
      - ca (conj) and.
      - eva (adv) so, even. just.
      * akusala (adj) unskilful, unwholesome.
      * uppajjati (v) arises, borns.
      * pahiiyanti (v) passes away, fades.

      Katamasmi.m ekadhamme?
      in which / in one thing
      Within which (one) thing?

      Kaayagataaya satiyaa.
      in relating to the body / in mindfulness
      Within the mindfulness of the body.

      Imasmi.m kho, bhikkhave, ekadhamme bhaavite bahuliikate anuppannaa
      ceva akusalaa dhammaa nuppajjanti, uppannaa ca akusalaa dhammaa
      pahiiyantii"ti.
      in this / indeed / monks / in one thing / in developed / in
      practised / unarisen / and-so / unwholesome / states / do not
      arise / arisen / and / unwholesome / states / fade
      Indeed so, monks, within this (one) thing, (when) developed and
      practised, unarisen unwholesome states do not arise, and arisen
      unwholesome states fade out."

      Please correct me if there is any mistake. Let us dedicate this work
      to Ven. Dhammananda, that he recovers well from his illness.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 30, 2006
        Dear Yong Peng,
        thank you very much.
        I go over one part today.
        Part I.
        A`nguttaranikaaya: Ekakanipaata

        Kaayagataasativagga
        mindfulness of the body / chapter
        Chapter on the Mindfulness of the Body

        Y.P.: Note: While as separate entity, "kaayagataa sati" is grammatically
        correct because sati is feminine, I believe when they come together
        as a compound, it should be "kaayagatasati" not "kaayagataasati".
        Otherwise, 'kaayagataa' has to be indeclinable, in which 'gataa' is
        the ablative of 'gata'.

        --------

        N: I agree: as a compound, it should be "kaayagatasati. Because the
        different parts of a compound are as a stem, no declination endings,
        except the last one.

        What type of compound is this one? Kayagata in itself is a compound,
        and as in the Rahulovaada sutta we do not need to translate gata,
        come, indicating a state. And kaayagata as a whole determines the
        kind of sati. We have to ask Rett or others.

        -----------

        Y.P.:1. "Yassa kassaci, bhikkhave, mahaasamuddo cetasaa phu.to
        antogadhaa
        tassa* kunnadiyo yaa kaaci samudda`ngamaa;
        for which / for any / monks / great ocean / by mind / pervaded /
        convergingly / for that / streams / which / any / leading to ocean
        "O monks, for any (or) for whichever great ocean conceived by the
        mind, convergingly, for it (there are) the streams any (of) which
        (is) leading to the ocean;
        -------

        Y.P. kassa (interr pron, dat/gen) which? what?

        -------

        N: here of ko: who? kassa: of, for whomsoever.
        Literally: For whomsoever the great ocean is pervaded with the mind

        ----------

        Y.P.: antogadhaa = anto ogadha (indecl?, adv?) [lit.] merging into
        the end.
        - anta (m) end, goal, finish.
        - ogadha (adj, suffix) merging into.
        ------

        N: anto: inside. Merging inside. (the rivulets merge inside the ocean).

        Convergingly sound strange to me.

        Y.P.:* Commentary: Antogadhaa tassaati tassa bhikkhuno bhaavanaaya
        abbhantaragataava honti. Can someone please explain the meaning
        of "abbhantaragataava", thanks.

        -------

        N: va: or . Abbhantara: towards the inside, within.

        gata: come, or indicating a state, as above.

        (This explains the following:) for this bhikkhu (tassa bhikkhuno)
        they [N: the kusala dhammas] merge into mental development.
        --------
        Y.P.: evameva.m*, bhikkhave, yassa kassaci kaayagataa sati bhaavitaa
        bahuliikataa antogadhaa tassa kusalaa dhammaa ye keci
        vijjaabhaagiyaa"ti.
        in the same way, monks, for any (of) whom the mindfulness of the
        body is developed and practised, convergingly, for him (there are)
        the wholesome qualities any (of) which (is) conducive to wisdom."
        -------

        N: for him whichever kusala dhammas are part of wisdom merge into
        this (his practice).

        The PTS footnote mentions the Co: namely, consciousness of
        impermanence, of dukkha in that, of anattaa in dukkha, of abandoning,
        of revulsion, cessation.
        N: I would prefer: take part of wisdom, they are ways of wisdom.

        (will be continued)

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 12 11:28 AM
          Dear Nina,

          thanks for the explanations and corrections.

          For 'antogadhaa', I had 'converging' because I treated the word
          as "merging into an end", i.e. the streams flow and combine to form
          the ocean. After your explanation, I understand the word as the ocean
          is already there, any stream that flows to it simply merges or gets
          integrated/incorporated into it.

          This understanding, as I checked, does tally with the second part of
          #1, "sati bhaavitaa bahuliikataa". When the mindfulness is already
          developed and practised, it is like the ocean which already exists. Am
          I right?

          I treat 'antogadhaa' as an adverb to 'samudda`ngamaa'. Hence, rather
          than 'merging into', I suggest 'integratingly'. What do you think?

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 12 12:15 PM
            Dear Nina,

            re: AN1.19.1-38 Kaayagataasati Vagga (1/3), part 2.

            thanks for the further explanation to parts of the text.

            I am including the link above because it is separated from the
            intended set. I am not sure if it was because you added ", part 2" to
            the subject heading, or because you did not reply directly to the
            original post.

            Thanks also for the grammatical corrections, especially the locative
            absolute and the passive verb 'pahiiyati'. The Pali is now clearer
            when the grammar is understood.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 12 6:33 PM
              Dear Nina and friends,

              here is the second part of Kaayagataasati Vagga.

              11. "ekadhamme, bhikkhave, bhaavite bahuliikate anuppannaa ceva
              kusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti, uppannaa ca kusalaa dhammaa
              bhiyyobhaavaaya vepullaaya sa.mvattanti. katamasmi.m ekadhamme?
              kaayagataaya satiyaa. imasmi.m kho, bhikkhave, ekadhamme bhaavite
              bahuliikate anuppannaa ceva kusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti, uppannaa ca
              kusalaa dhammaa bhiyyobhaavaaya vepullaaya sa.mvattantii"ti.

              12. "ekadhamme, bhikkhave, bhaavite bahuliikate avijjaa pahiiyati,
              vijjaa uppajjati, asmimaano pahiiyati, anusayaa samugghaata.m
              gacchanti, sa.myojanaa pahiiyanti. katamasmi.m ekadhamme?
              kaayagataaya satiyaa. imasmi.m kho, bhikkhave, ekadhamme bhaavite
              bahuliikate avijjaa pahiiyati, vijjaa uppajjati, asmimaano
              pahiiyati, anusayaa samugghaata.m gacchanti, sa.myojanaa
              pahiiyantii"ti.

              13-14. "ekadhammo, bhikkhave, bhaavito bahuliikato
              pa~n~naapabhedaaya sa.mvattati... anupaadaaparinibbaanaaya
              sa.mvattati. katamo ekadhammo? kaayagataa sati. aya.m kho,
              bhikkhave, ekadhammo bhaavito bahuliikato pa~n~naapabhedaaya
              sa.mvattati... anupaadaaparinibbaanaaya sa.mvattatii"ti.

              15-17. "ekadhamme, bhikkhave, bhaavite bahuliikate
              anekadhaatupa.tivedho hoti... naanaadhaatupa.tivedho hoti...
              anekadhaatupa.tisambhidaa hoti. katamasmi.m ekadhamme? kaayagataaya
              satiyaa. imasmi.m kho, bhikkhave, ekadhamme bhaavite bahuliikate
              anekadhaatupa.tivedho hoti... naanaadhaatupa.tivedho hoti...
              anekadhaatupa.tisambhidaa hotii"ti.

              11. "Ekadhamme, bhikkhave, bhaavite bahuliikate anuppannaa ceva
              kusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti, uppannaa ca kusalaa dhammaa
              bhiyyobhaavaaya vepullaaya sa.mvattanti.
              in one thing / monks / in developed / in practised / unarisen / and-
              so / wholesome / states / arise / arisen / and / wholesome /
              states / to increase / to full development / lead to
              "One thing, O monks, (when) developed and practised, unarisen
              wholesome states arise, and so arisen wholesome states lead to
              advancement and full development.

              * bhiyyobhaava (m) increase, multiplication.
              * vepulla (n) full development.

              Katamasmi.m ekadhamme?
              in which / in one thing
              Which one (thing)?

              Kaayagataaya satiyaa.
              in relating to the body / in mindfulness
              Mindfulness of the body.

              Imasmi.m kho, bhikkhave, ekadhamme bhaavite bahuliikate anuppannaa
              ceva kusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti, uppannaa ca kusalaa dhammaa
              bhiyyobhaavaaya vepullaaya sa.mvattantii"ti.
              in this / indeed / monks / in one thing / in developed / in
              practised / unarisen / and-so / wholesome / states / arise /
              arisen / and / wholesome / states / to increase / to full
              development / lead to
              Indeed, monks, this (one thing), (when) developed and practised,
              unarisen wholesome states arise, and so arisen wholesome states lead
              to advancement and full development."

              12. "Ekadhamme, bhikkhave, bhaavite bahuliikate avijjaa pahiiyati,
              vijjaa uppajjati, asmimaano pahiiyati, anusayaa samugghaata.m
              gacchanti, sa.myojanaa pahiiyanti.
              in one thing / monks / in developed / in practised / ignorance / is
              abandoned / knowledge / arises / conceit of self / is abandoned /
              tendencies / (to) removal / go / attachments / are abandoned
              "One thing, O monks, (when) developed and practised, ignorance is
              abandoned, knowledge arises, the conceit of self is abandoned,
              tendencies get removed, and attachments are abandoned.

              * avijjaa (f) ignorance.
              * vijjaa (f) knowledge.
              * asmimaana (m) conceit of self.
              * anusaya (m) proclivity, predisposition, tendency.
              * samugghaata (m) uprooting, abolishing, removal.
              * sa.myojana (n) bond, attachment.

              Katamasmi.m ekadhamme?
              in which / in one thing
              Which one (thing)?

              Kaayagataaya satiyaa.
              in relating to the body / in mindfulness
              Mindfulness of the body.

              Imasmi.m kho, bhikkhave, ekadhamme bhaavite bahuliikate avijjaa
              pahiiyati, vijjaa uppajjati, asmimaano pahiiyati, anusayaa
              samugghaata.m gacchanti, sa.myojanaa pahiiyantii"ti.
              in this / indeed / monks / in one thing / in developed / in
              practised / ignorance / is abandoned / knowledge / arises / conceit
              of self / is abandoned / tendencies / (to) removal / go /
              attachments / are abandoned
              Indeed, monks, this (one thing), (when) developed and practised,
              ignorance is abandoned, knowledge arises, the conceit of self is
              abandoned, tendencies get removed, and attachments are abandoned."

              13-14. "Ekadhammo, bhikkhave, bhaavito bahuliikato
              pa~n~naapabhedaaya sa.mvattati... anupaadaaparinibbaanaaya
              sa.mvattati.
              one thing / monks / developed / practised / opening up of wisdom /
              leads to / final release without grasping / leads to
              "Developed and practised, O monks, one thing leads to the opening up
              of widom; leads to the final release without grasping.

              * pa~n~naapabheda (m) opening up of wisdom, breakthrough to
              wisdom, i.e. enlightenment.
              - pa~n~naa (f) wisdom.
              - pabheda (m) breaking, opening.
              * anupaadaaparinibbaana (n) final release without grasping.
              - anupaadaa (gerund of anupaadiyati) not having grasped.
              - parinibbaana (n) final release, nibbaana.

              Katamo ekadhammo?
              which / one thing
              Which one (thing)?

              Kaayagataa sati.
              relating to the body / mindfulness
              Mindfulness of the body.

              Aya.m kho, bhikkhave, ekadhammo bhaavito bahuliikato
              pa~n~naapabhedaaya sa.mvattati... anupaadaaparinibbaanaaya
              sa.mvattatii"ti.
              this / indeed / monks / one thing / developed / practised / opening
              up of wisdom / leads to / final release without grasping / leads to
              Indeed, monks, developed and practised, this (one thing) leads to
              the opening up of wisdom; leads to the final release without
              grasping."

              15-17. "Ekadhamme, bhikkhave, bhaavite bahuliikate
              anekadhaatupa.tivedho hoti... naanaadhaatupa.tivedho hoti...
              anekadhaatupa.tisambhidaa hoti.
              in one thing / monks / in developed / in practised / penetration of
              the various elements / is / penetration of the elements in various
              ways / is / analytic insight of the various elements / is
              "One thing, O monks, (when) developed and practised, effects the
              penetration of the various elements; effects the penetration of the
              elements in various ways; effects the analytic insight of the
              various elements.

              * anekadhaatupa.tivedha (m) penetration of the various elements
              (80 of them according to comm.).
              - aneka (adj) = na eka: not one, i.e. various, numerous.
              - dhaatu (f) element.
              - pa.tivedha (m) penetration, comprehension.
              * hoti (v) verb to be.
              * naanaadhaatupa.tivedha (m) penetration of the elements in
              various ways.
              - naanaa (adv) variously, differently.
              * anekadhaatupa.tisambhidaa (f) analytic insight of the various
              elements.

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 16 6:05 AM
                Dear Yong Peng,
                Thank you very much. I am just back from a four day trip and I look
                forward to read your translation the next days,
                Nina.
                Op 13-aug-2006, om 3:33 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 17 3:16 AM
                  Dear Yong Peng,
                  --------

                  Y.P.: For 'antogadhaa', I had 'converging' because I treated the word
                  as "merging into an end", i.e. the streams flow and combine to form
                  the ocean. After your explanation, I understand the word as the ocean
                  is already there, any stream that flows to it simply merges or gets
                  integrated/incorporated into it.

                  --------

                  1. "Yassa kassaci, bhikkhave, mahaasamuddo cetasaa phu.to antogadhaa
                  tassa* kunnadiyo yaa kaaci samudda`ngamaa;
                  for which / for any / monks / great ocean / by mind / pervaded /
                  convergingly / for that / streams / which / any / leading to ocean

                  N: I was considering convergingly, as an adverb. This sounds strange
                  in English.
                  -------------
                  This understanding, as I checked, does tally with the second part of
                  #1, "sati bhaavitaa bahuliikataa". When the mindfulness is already
                  developed and practised, it is like the ocean which already exists. Am
                  I right?
                  I treat 'antogadhaa' as an adverb to 'samudda`ngamaa'. Hence, rather
                  than 'merging into', I suggest 'integratingly'. What do you think?
                  ------

                  N: cetasaa phu.to: pervaded by the mind, as PTS has.

                  antogadhaa: inner. See PED. PTS has: includes therewith.
                  Anto seems to refer to inward, including. I am not thinking of end.
                  Antogadhaa belongs to kunnadiyo: rivulets.

                  But samudda´┐Żngamaa can be translated as: merging into the ocean.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 27 3:09 AM
                    Dear Nina and friends,

                    here is the final instalment of Kaayagataasati Vagga.

                    18-21. "ekadhammo, bhikkhave, bhaavito bahuliikato
                    sotaapattiphalasacchikiriyaaya sa.mvattati...
                    sakadaagaamiphalasacchikiriyaaya sa.mvattati...
                    anaagaamiphalasacchikiriyaaya sa.mvattati...
                    arahattaphalasacchikiriyaaya sa.mvattati. katamo ekadhammo?
                    kaayagataa sati. aya.m kho, bhikkhave, ekadhammo bhaavito
                    bahuliikato sotaapattiphalasacchikiriyaaya sa.mvattati...
                    sakadaagaamiphalasacchikiriyaaya sa.mvattati...
                    anaagaamiphalasacchikiriyaaya sa.mvattati...
                    arahattaphalasacchikiriyaaya sa.mvattatii"ti.

                    22-37. "ekadhammo, bhikkhave, bhaavito bahuliikato
                    pa~n~naapa.tilaabhaaya sa.mvattati... pa~n~naavuddhiyaa
                    sa.mvattati... pa~n~naavepullaaya sa.mvattati... mahaapa~n~nataaya
                    sa.mvattati... puthupa~n~nataaya sa.mvattati... vipulapa~n~nataaya
                    sa.mvattati... gambhiirapa~n~nataaya sa.mvattati...
                    asaamantapa~n~nataaya sa.mvattati... bhuuripa~n~nataaya
                    sa.mvattati... pa~n~naabaahullaaya sa.mvattati... siighapa~n~nataaya
                    sa.mvattati... lahupa~n~nataaya sa.mvattati... haasapa~n~nataaya
                    sa.mvattati... javanapa~n~nataaya sa.mvattati... tikkhapa~n~nataaya
                    sa.mvattati... nibbedhikapa~n~nataaya sa.mvattati. katamo ekadhammo?
                    kaayagataa sati. aya.m kho, bhikkhave, ekadhammo bhaavito
                    bahuliikato pa~n~naapa.tilaabhaaya sa.mvattati... pa~n~naavuddhiyaa
                    sa.mvattati... pa~n~naavepullaaya sa.mvattati... mahaapa~n~nataaya
                    sa.mvattati... puthupa~n~nataaya sa.mvattati... vipulapa~n~nataaya
                    sa.mvattati... gambhiirapa~n~nataaya sa.mvattati...
                    asaamantapa~n~nataaya sa.mvattati... bhuuripa~n~nataaya
                    sa.mvattati... pa~n~naabaahullaaya sa.mvattati... siighapa~n~nataaya
                    sa.mvattati... lahupa~n~nataaya sa.mvattati... haasapa~n~nataaya
                    sa.mvattati... javanapa~n~nataaya sa.mvattati... tikkhapa~n~nataaya
                    sa.mvattati... nibbedhikapa~n~nataaya sa.mvattatii"ti.

                    18-21. "Ekadhammo, bhikkhave, bhaavito bahuliikato
                    sotaapattiphalasacchikiriyaaya sa.mvattati...
                    sakadaagaamiphalasacchikiriyaaya sa.mvattati...
                    anaagaamiphalasacchikiriyaaya sa.mvattati...
                    arahattaphalasacchikiriyaaya sa.mvattati.
                    one quality / monks / developed / practised / realisation of fruit
                    of stream-enterer / leads to / realisation of fruit of once-
                    returner / leads to / realisation of fruit of non-returner / leads
                    to / realisation of fruit of arahant / leads to
                    "Developed and practised, O monks, one quality leads to the
                    realisation of the fruit of the stream-enterer [once-returner, non-
                    returner, arahant].

                    * sotaapattiphalasacchikiriyaa (f) realisation of the fruit of
                    the stream-enterer.
                    - sotaapattiphala (n) fruit of the stream-enterer.
                    -- sotaapatti (m) entering upon the stream.
                    -- phala (n) fruit.
                    - sacchikiriyaa (f) realisation, experiencing.
                    * sakadaagaamiphalasacchikiriyaa (f) realisation of the fruit of
                    the once-returner.
                    - sakadaagaamin (adj) returning once.
                    * anaagaamiphalasacchikiriyaa (f) realisation of the fruit of
                    the non-returner.
                    - anaagaamin (adj) one not returning.
                    * arahattaphalasacchikiriyaa (f) realisation of the fruit of the
                    arahant.

                    Katamo ekadhammo?
                    which / one quality
                    Which one?

                    Kaayagataa sati.
                    relating to the body / mindfulness
                    Mindfulness of the body.

                    Aya.m kho, bhikkhave, ekadhammo bhaavito bahuliikato
                    sotaapattiphalasacchikiriyaaya sa.mvattati...
                    sakadaagaamiphalasacchikiriyaaya sa.mvattati...
                    anaagaamiphalasacchikiriyaaya sa.mvattati...
                    arahattaphalasacchikiriyaaya sa.mvattatii"ti.
                    this / indeed / monks / one quality / developed / practised /
                    realisation of fruit of stream-enterer / leads to / realisation of
                    fruit of once-returner / leads to / realisation of fruit of non-
                    returner / leads to / realisation of fruit of arahant / leads to
                    Indeed, monks, developed and practised, this leads to the
                    realisation of the fruit of the stream-enterer [once-returner, non-
                    returner, arahant]."

                    22-37. "Ekadhammo, bhikkhave, bhaavito bahuliikato
                    pa~n~naapa.tilaabhaaya sa.mvattati... pa~n~naavuddhiyaa
                    sa.mvattati... pa~n~naavepullaaya sa.mvattati... mahaapa~n~nataaya
                    sa.mvattati... puthupa~n~nataaya sa.mvattati... vipulapa~n~nataaya
                    sa.mvattati... gambhiirapa~n~nataaya sa.mvattati...
                    asaamantapa~n~nataaya sa.mvattati... bhuuripa~n~nataaya
                    sa.mvattati... pa~n~naabaahullaaya sa.mvattati... siighapa~n~nataaya
                    sa.mvattati... lahupa~n~nataaya sa.mvattati... haasapa~n~nataaya
                    sa.mvattati... javanapa~n~nataaya sa.mvattati... tikkhapa~n~nataaya
                    sa.mvattati... nibbedhikapa~n~nataaya sa.mvattati.
                    one quality / monks / developed / practised / attainment of wisdom /
                    leads to / growth in wisdom / leads to / full development of
                    wisdom / leads to / having great wisdom / leads to / having far-
                    spread wisdom / leads to / having extensive wisdom / leads to /
                    having profound wisdom / leads to / having unparalleled wisdom /
                    leads to / having subtle wisdom / leads to / boundless wisdom /
                    leads to / having swift wisdom / leads to / having buoyant wisdom /
                    leads to / having uplifting wisdom / leads to / having instant
                    wisdom / leads to / having acute wisdom / leads to / having
                    fastidious wisdom / leads to
                    "Developed and practised, O monks, one quality leads to the
                    attainment of wisdom [growth in wisdom, full development of wisdom,
                    possession of great wisdom, possession of far-spread wisdom,
                    possession of extensive wisdom, possession of profound wisdom,
                    possession of unparalleled wisdom, possession of subtle wisdom,
                    possession of boundless wisdom, possession of swift wisdom,
                    possession of buoyant wisdom, possession of uplifting wisdom,
                    possession of instant wisdom, possession of acute wisdom, possession
                    of fastidious wisdom].

                    * pa~n~naapa.tilaabha (m) attainment of wisdom.
                    - pa.tilaabha (m) obtaining, receiving, taking up,
                    acquisition, assumption, attainment.
                    * pa~n~naavuddhi (f) growth in wisdom.
                    - vuddhi (f) increase, growth, furtherance, prosperity.
                    * pa~n~naavepulla (n) full development of wisdom.
                    - vepulla (n) full development, abundance, plenty, fullness.
                    * mahaapa~n~nataa (f) having great wisdom.
                    - pa~n~nataa (f, secondary abstract formation from pa~n~naa
                    used in compounds) having wisdom.
                    * puthupa~n~nataa (f) having wide wisdom.
                    - puthu (adj) separated, individual.
                    * vipulapa~n~nataa (f) having extensive wisdom.
                    - vipula (adj) large, extensive, great, abundant.
                    * gambhiirapa~n~nataa (f) having profound wisdom.
                    - gambhiira (adj) deep, profound, unfathomable, well founded,
                    hard to perceive, difficult.
                    * asaamantapa~n~nataa (f) having unparalleled wisdom.
                    - saamanta (adj) neighbouring, bordering.
                    * bhuuripa~n~nataa (f) having subtle wisdom. (PTS)
                    - bhuuri (adj) wide, extensive, much, abundant.
                    * pa~n~naabaahulla (n) abundance of wisdom, i.e. boundless
                    wisdom.
                    - baahulla (n) abundance, superfluity, great quantity.
                    * siighapa~n~nataa (f) having swift wisdom.
                    - siigha (adj) quick, rapid, swift.
                    * lahupa~n~nataa (f) having buoyant wisdom. (PTS)
                    - lahu (adj) light, quick.
                    * haasapa~n~nataa (f) having wisdom of joy, i.e. uplifting
                    wisdom.
                    - haasa (m) laughter, mirth, joy.
                    * javanapa~n~nataa (f) having alert intellectual, swift
                    understanding.
                    - javana (n) alacrity, readiness.
                    * tikkhapa~n~nataa (f) having acute wisdom.
                    - tikkha (adj) sharp, clever, acute, quick.
                    * nibbedhikapa~n~nataa (f) having fastidious wisdom. (PTS)
                    - nibbedhaka/nibbedhikaa (adj) piercing, sharp, penetrating,
                    discriminating.

                    Katamo ekadhammo?
                    which / one quality
                    Which one?

                    Kaayagataa sati.
[...]

                    Indeed, monks, developed and practised, this leads to the attainment
                    of wisdom [growth in wisdom, full development of wisdom, possession
                    of great wisdom, possession of far-spread wisdom, possession of
                    extensive wisdom, possession of profound wisdom, possession of
                    unparalleled wisdom, possession of subtle wisdom, possession of
                    boundless wisdom, possession of swift wisdom, possession of buoyant
                    wisdom, possession of uplifting wisdom, possession of instant
                    wisdom, possession of acute wisdom, possession of fastidious
                    wisdom]."

                    Kaayagataasativaggo ekuunaviisatimo.
                    chapter on mindfulness of body / nineteenth
                    Chapter on the Mindfulness of the Body, the Nineteenth

                    Please correct me if there is any mistake.