Re: Message to Burmese members of the Pali Group

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 23 2:19 AM
      Dear Florent and Gunnar,

      Florent, I am glad that you have a great opportunity to further your
      Pali study while in Myanmar. If what Gunnar wrote is right, then you
      may have to sign up for an email account with a local ISP, if one
      exists. And of course, I would be happy to help with posting your
      solutions.

      I wish you a safe and rewarding stay in Myanmar.

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, flrobert2000 wrote:

      Last time I was in Myanmar it was rather difficult if not impossible
      to access Yahoo Mail and I am afraid I might face the same problem
      with Yahoo Groups. I will have to find a simple way - I am sure Yong
      Peng could help me with that - to continue posting the solutions to
      the exercises and be able to read the other members' posts.
    • flrobert2000
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 25 2:36 AM
        Yes, unfortunately this is true. Google Talk used to be available for
        a while and was the only way to communicate through Voice over IP.
        This was actually quite convenient since international phone calls
        from Myanmar are very expensive (between 5$ and 8$ a minute). So the
        main reason for blocking Google Talk, Skype or other services that
        offer Voip is mainly financial I guess. I heard that at the beginning
        of the month they even blocked access to google.com but apparently
        that has been restored. I have the impression also that the main
        reason behind blocking sites such as hotmail or Yahoo is to force
        people to use local ISPs. The irony behind all this is that the
        softwares used to filter the access to some sites are American ones...