Re: The Buddha as omniscient

  • Dhammanando Bhikkhu
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 18 5:03 AM
      Dear Stephen,

      Sorry for the late reply. I have not been reading the posts
      for some time.

      Dhammanando:
      >> I am surprised that no one has yet mentioned the Sandaka Sutta
      >> (MN 76). This would surely be the obvious starting point for
      >> any discussion of sabba~n~nutaa in Pali Buddhism.

      Stephen Hodge:
      > I am not sure how this gives much help with the question of
      > a Buddha's "omniscience".

      I'm inclined to agree, it really doesn't help at all. The reason
      I called it "the obvious starting point for a discussion" is not
      because it helps but because in my experience most discussions on
      this topic DO in fact start by somebody citing the Sandaka Sutta
      as negative evidence against the omniscience claims made in the
      Pa.tisambhidaamagga, Milindapa~nhaa and Commentaries. Of course
      they have to interpret the sutta in their own way rather than the
      Pali commentaries' way in order to claim that it supports their
      position. As a result, much of the discussion of sabba~n~nutaa
      comes down in the end to a wrangle about just how the Sandaka
      Sutta should be read. In the traditional reading it is assumed
      that the Buddha is ridiculing only the omniscience claims of
      titthiya teachers; but certain modern scholars (Jayatilleke and
      Kalupahana come to mind) read the sutta as ridiculing the very
      idea of omniscience.

      Best wishes,
      Dhammanando