Re: Origin of Pali

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16 12:10 AM
      Hi,

      please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pali

      All of your questions are answered there, except for No.3.

      Modern scholarship asserts that the Buddha spoke an early form of
      Magadhi, largely for the reason that much of Buddha's activities
      happened within Magadha's domain of political and cultural influence.

      However, I would think that the Buddha probably spoke more than one
      vernaculars. I also believe the Buddha spoke Vedic too, since he
      knew the Vedas, and he probably used Vedic when conversing with the
      more stubborn Brahmins (who believed other languages are impure and
      refused to talk in anything other than Vedic).

      Mahayana Buddhists would like to think the Buddha spoke Sanskrit,
      but Sanskrit is really the revival form of Vedic. Sanskrit itself
      went out of use, and what remains today is Hindi. Hindi draws its
      vocabulary with words from Sanskrit, and is written in Devanagari
      script. It is constitutionally the national language of India, and
      has the second largest number of native speakers in the world (370
      million).

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_sp
      eakers

      In India, the top three spoken languages are Hindi, Telugu and
      Bengali.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indian_languages_by_total_speake
      rs

      As for Sanskrit, it can still be learnt as a third language for
      grades 5 to 8 in India.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanskrit

      Modern Magadhi/Magahi sounds very similar to Hindi, and it has about
      11 million speakers in India. Theravada Buddhists used to think that
      Pali is similar to or descended from Magadhi, but modern linguistic
      analysis has shown it not to be the case.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magadhi

      I hope that you understand the difficulty of question 3. Much of the
      history of ancient India is still as good a myth as Ramayana. More
      works in this area still need to be done. The Buddha was born a
      prince of the Sakya confederation, in today's Nepal. However, Indian
      influence is evident in Nepal's history, culture and religions. I
      have a feeling that the Sakyan people used the language of Kosala or
      one very close to it. In MN, King Pasenadi called the Buddha a
      Kosalaka, and AN and Sutta Nipata both mention Kapilavatthu
      belonging to Kosala. Besides, the Buddha spent most of his time in
      Kosala, either in Savatthi, the capital, or in the various towns.
      However, it is hard to ascertain the language of the Kosalans or
      Sakyans without more research.

      http://www.palikanon.com/english/pali_names/ku/kosala.htm

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, rasoolpuri wrote

      1-What is origin of Pli language
      2-Which is its birth place .
      3-What was the mother tongue of Bhudda
      4- What are the reasons of death of Pali
      5-What is its position in this age