Re: [Pali] Origin of Pali

  • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 15, 2006
      Hello,

      > 1-What is origin of Pli language
      > 2-Which is its birth place .
      > 3-What was the mother tongue of Bhudda
      > 4- What are the reasons of death of Pali
      > 5-What is its position in this age

      May I recommend you the articles:

      http://www.zencomp.com/greatwisdom/ebud/ebsut059.htm
      http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php?showtopic=21924

      Regards, Dmytro
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 16, 2006
        Hi,

        please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pali

        All of your questions are answered there, except for No.3.

        Modern scholarship asserts that the Buddha spoke an early form of
        Magadhi, largely for the reason that much of Buddha's activities
        happened within Magadha's domain of political and cultural influence.

        However, I would think that the Buddha probably spoke more than one
        vernaculars. I also believe the Buddha spoke Vedic too, since he
        knew the Vedas, and he probably used Vedic when conversing with the
        more stubborn Brahmins (who believed other languages are impure and
        refused to talk in anything other than Vedic).

        Mahayana Buddhists would like to think the Buddha spoke Sanskrit,
        but Sanskrit is really the revival form of Vedic. Sanskrit itself
        went out of use, and what remains today is Hindi. Hindi draws its
        vocabulary with words from Sanskrit, and is written in Devanagari
        script. It is constitutionally the national language of India, and
        has the second largest number of native speakers in the world (370
        million).

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_sp
        eakers

        In India, the top three spoken languages are Hindi, Telugu and
        Bengali.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indian_languages_by_total_speake
        rs

        As for Sanskrit, it can still be learnt as a third language for
        grades 5 to 8 in India.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanskrit

        Modern Magadhi/Magahi sounds very similar to Hindi, and it has about
        11 million speakers in India. Theravada Buddhists used to think that
        Pali is similar to or descended from Magadhi, but modern linguistic
        analysis has shown it not to be the case.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magadhi

        I hope that you understand the difficulty of question 3. Much of the
        history of ancient India is still as good a myth as Ramayana. More
        works in this area still need to be done. The Buddha was born a
        prince of the Sakya confederation, in today's Nepal. However, Indian
        influence is evident in Nepal's history, culture and religions. I
        have a feeling that the Sakyan people used the language of Kosala or
        one very close to it. In MN, King Pasenadi called the Buddha a
        Kosalaka, and AN and Sutta Nipata both mention Kapilavatthu
        belonging to Kosala. Besides, the Buddha spent most of his time in
        Kosala, either in Savatthi, the capital, or in the various towns.
        However, it is hard to ascertain the language of the Kosalans or
        Sakyans without more research.

        http://www.palikanon.com/english/pali_names/ku/kosala.htm

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, rasoolpuri wrote