Re: Pali Day by Day E072 (Ex20B)

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 219 , Jul 14, 2006
      Dear Florent,

      While these translations all look technically correct, the language in
      a couple of them sound a little awkward to my native anglophone ears.
      May I suggest the following changes?

      > 11.Balavantaa kaa.laa go.naa uccesu giriisu aahi.n.ditvaa bahuuni
      > ti.naani khaadanti.
      > powerful / black / cows / high / [on] mountains / having wandered /
      > a lot of / grass / eat
      > Having wandered on high mountains the powerful black cows eat a lot
      > of grass.

      The powerful black cows wander on the high mountains and eat a lot of
      grass.

      > 12.Bahunna.m baalaana.m puttaa tassaa nadiyaa gambhiire jale
      > patitvaa mari.msu.
      > many / [of] young ones / sons / that / [from] river / deep / [in]
      > water / having fallen / died
      > Having fallen in the deep water of that river the sons of the many
      > foolish ones died.

      Sons of many foolish people fall in that river's deep water and die.

      > 13.Mama bhaataraana.m majjhimo niice pii.the nisiiditvaa aama.m
      > phala.m khaadati.
      > my / [of] brothers / middle-brother / low / [on] chair / having
      > sat / unripe / fruit / eats
      > Having sat on a low chair, the middle-brother of my brothers eats an
      > unripe fruit.

      Having sat on a low chair, my middle-brother eats an unripe fruit.

      > 14.Maya.m suve majjhima.m vaapi.m gantvaa setaani padumaani niilaani
      > uppalaani ca aaharissama.
      > we / tomorrow / medium / tank / having gone / white / lotuses /
      > blue / waterlilies / will bring
      > Having gone to the medium tank, tomorrow we will bring white lotuses
      > and blue waterlilies.

      Tomorrow we will go to the medium tank and gather white lotuses and
      blue waterlilies.

      With metta,
      John
      Message 219 of 219 , Mar 8 5:48 AM
        Dear Florent,

        allow me to suggest the following correction:
        Sattamo Edwardnaamo bhuupati chabbiisatiyaa vassaana.m upari kaala.m
        akaasi.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, flrobert2000 wrote:

        8. King Edward VII died 26 years ago.
        bhuupati / Edwardnaamo / sattamo / kaalam akaasi /
        chabbiisati / vasse / upari
        Sattamo Edwardnaamo bhuupati chabbisati vasse upari kaalam akaasi.