Origin of Pali

  • rasoolpuri
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 14, 2006
      I am a student of south asian languages .I am intrested in Pali .I
      want to ask some questions .Any one 'kindly 'reply me' thanks

      1-What is origin of Pli language
      2-Which is its birth place .
      3-What was the mother tongue of Bhudda
      4- What are the reasons of death of Pali
      5-What is its position in this age
    • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 15, 2006
        Hello,

        > 1-What is origin of Pli language
        > 2-Which is its birth place .
        > 3-What was the mother tongue of Bhudda
        > 4- What are the reasons of death of Pali
        > 5-What is its position in this age

        May I recommend you the articles:

        http://www.zencomp.com/greatwisdom/ebud/ebsut059.htm
        http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php?showtopic=21924

        Regards, Dmytro
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 16, 2006
          Hi,

          please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pali

          All of your questions are answered there, except for No.3.

          Modern scholarship asserts that the Buddha spoke an early form of
          Magadhi, largely for the reason that much of Buddha's activities
          happened within Magadha's domain of political and cultural influence.

          However, I would think that the Buddha probably spoke more than one
          vernaculars. I also believe the Buddha spoke Vedic too, since he
          knew the Vedas, and he probably used Vedic when conversing with the
          more stubborn Brahmins (who believed other languages are impure and
          refused to talk in anything other than Vedic).

          Mahayana Buddhists would like to think the Buddha spoke Sanskrit,
          but Sanskrit is really the revival form of Vedic. Sanskrit itself
          went out of use, and what remains today is Hindi. Hindi draws its
          vocabulary with words from Sanskrit, and is written in Devanagari
          script. It is constitutionally the national language of India, and
          has the second largest number of native speakers in the world (370
          million).

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_sp
          eakers

          In India, the top three spoken languages are Hindi, Telugu and
          Bengali.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indian_languages_by_total_speake
          rs

          As for Sanskrit, it can still be learnt as a third language for
          grades 5 to 8 in India.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanskrit

          Modern Magadhi/Magahi sounds very similar to Hindi, and it has about
          11 million speakers in India. Theravada Buddhists used to think that
          Pali is similar to or descended from Magadhi, but modern linguistic
          analysis has shown it not to be the case.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magadhi

          I hope that you understand the difficulty of question 3. Much of the
          history of ancient India is still as good a myth as Ramayana. More
          works in this area still need to be done. The Buddha was born a
          prince of the Sakya confederation, in today's Nepal. However, Indian
          influence is evident in Nepal's history, culture and religions. I
          have a feeling that the Sakyan people used the language of Kosala or
          one very close to it. In MN, King Pasenadi called the Buddha a
          Kosalaka, and AN and Sutta Nipata both mention Kapilavatthu
          belonging to Kosala. Besides, the Buddha spent most of his time in
          Kosala, either in Savatthi, the capital, or in the various towns.
          However, it is hard to ascertain the language of the Kosalans or
          Sakyans without more research.

          http://www.palikanon.com/english/pali_names/ku/kosala.htm

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, rasoolpuri wrote