Re 'dabba' as a technical abhidhamma term

  • Bhante Sujato
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 22, 2006
      Hi all,

      Here's a snippet of an old conversation between myself and Nina:

      > It
      > > > seems clear enough that the Sarvastivadins went further than the
      > > > Theravadins; they frequently used the word 'dravya'
      > (Pali 'dabba'?),
      > > > meaning 'substance' in reference to the svabhava, while i am not
      > > > aware of that term in the Theravada.
      > > N: I meet this term all the time in the Visuddhimagga. I do not
      > see any
      > > substance implied, it is just a distinctive nature, but only very
      > momentary.
      > > Close to the meaning of characteristic.

      I have just been discussing this point with Rupert Gethin, who
      believes that the term 'dabba', while occuring occasionally in
      non-technical senses, does not occur with as a technical term in the
      Theravadin abhidhamma. Can Nina or anyone else point me to any
      technical uses of 'dabba' in Theravada abhidhamma?

      in Dhamma

      Bhante Sujato
    • Ole Holten Pind
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 22, 2006
        Dear Bhante,

        The word denotes any given substance like in Sanskrit. I have hardly ever
        come across it except in grammatical literature. So far I have not seen the
        word in the context of sabhaava "essential nature." I may be wrong, though.
        I would appreciate references. In early sources is it a gotta name: dabba
        mallaputta, if I remember correctly.

        Regards,
        Ole Holten Pind

        Hi all,

        Here's a snippet of an old conversation between myself and Nina:

        > It
        > > > seems clear enough that the Sarvastivadins went further than the
        > > > Theravadins; they frequently used the word 'dravya'
        > (Pali 'dabba'?),
        > > > meaning 'substance' in reference to the svabhava, while i am not
        > > > aware of that term in the Theravada.
        > > N: I meet this term all the time in the Visuddhimagga. I do not
        > see any
        > > substance implied, it is just a distinctive nature, but only very
        > momentary.
        > > Close to the meaning of characteristic.

        I have just been discussing this point with Rupert Gethin, who
        believes that the term 'dabba', while occuring occasionally in
        non-technical senses, does not occur with as a technical term in the
        Theravadin abhidhamma. Can Nina or anyone else point me to any
        technical uses of 'dabba' in Theravada abhidhamma?

        in Dhamma

        Bhante Sujato

        <http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=43589&pa
        rtner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

      • nina van gorkom
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 22, 2006
          Venerable Bhante Sujato,
          I did not meet with this term in the Abhidhamma.
          PED gives the meanings: fit, able, worthy. substance, property, etc.
          respectfully,
          Nina.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 27, 2006
            Hi Nina and Ole,

            Thanks for your replies. So it seems, until further information,
            likely that 'dabba' is indeed not a Theravada abhidhamma term, and
            stands as a distinctive difference from the Sarvastivada in this respect.

            metta

            Bhante Sujato