Re: [Pali] AN1.18.1-181 Aparaaccharaasa`nghaata Vagga (3/4)

  • nina van gorkom
    Message 1 of 366 , Jun 14 1:54 AM
      Dear Yong Peng,
      thank you very much.
      A few suggestions.
      op 14-06-2006 05:07 schreef Ong Yong Peng op pali.smith@...:

      Y.P.: ...subhanteva adhimutto hoti...
      good-just / inclined to / is
      ["O monks, if a monk] is inclined to only good, [even for the
      duration of a finger-snap..."]
      -------
      N: subha: here: beautiful. The reference is to the development of mettaa, so
      that he does not have aversion, according to the Co. However, here it can
      also refer to very pure colours.
      He gains release (adhimutto) by realizing: this is indeed beautiful.
      -----

      Y.P.: ...sabbaso ruupasa~n~naana.m samatikkamaa pa.tighasa~n~naana.m
      attha`ngamaa naanattasa~n~naana.m amanasikaaraa ananto aakaasoti
      aakaasaana~ncaayatana.m upasampajja viharati...
      ["O monks, if a monk,] from the overcoming of the perception of
      matter altogether, from the annihilation of the perception of sense-
      reaction, and from the inattention of the perception of variety,
      reaches the sphere of boundless space, 'infinite space', and dwells
      [even for the duration of a finger-snap..."]
      -------
      N: : if, passing completely beyond consciousness of materiality, by the
      destruction of the perception of sense-reaction, by disregarding perception
      of diversity....
      When dealing with jhaana we meet with the expressions of diversity and
      unity. Diversity is opposed to the untiy of jhaana.

      At this point of the sutta the reference is to the first stage of immaterial
      jhaana, aruupa-jhaana.
      ----------
      Y.P.: 62-71. ...pathaviikasi.na.m bhaaveti...

      ["O monks, if a monk] develops the meditation subject of earth [even
      for the duration of a finger-snap..."]
      ------
      N: another option: earth device. kasina is a circle used for meditation.
      However, further on,vi~n~naa.nakasi.na (n) meditation subject of
      consciousness is better.
      ---------

      Y.P.: 72-81. ...asubhasa~n~na.m bhaaveti...

      ["O monks, if a monk] develops the discernment of unpleasantness
      [even for the duration of a finger-snap..."]
      ------
      N: asubha: the foul.
      This implies the foulness of the body or of corpses.
      -------
      asubhasa~n~naa (f) discernment of impurity.
      - asubha = na subha (n) non-good, badness, unpleasantness.
      ------
      Y.P.: ...mara.nasa~n~na.m bhaaveti...

      ["O monks, if a monk] develops the discernment of death [even for
      the duration of a finger-snap..."]
      -------
      N: instead of discernment: mindfulness of death.
      ---------

      Y.P.:...aahaare pa.tikkuulasa~n~na.m bhaaveti...
      ["O monks, if a monk] develops the discernment of aversion in food
      [even for the duration of a finger-snap..."]
      ------
      N: repulsiveness of food.
      -------

      ...sabbaloke anabhiratisa~n~na.m bhaaveti...

      ["O monks, if a monk] develops the discernment of dissatisfaction in
      all worlds [even for the duration of a finger-snap..."]
      -------
      N: Non-delight in the whole world.
      I take it that he sees the disadvantage of the conditioned phenomena (the
      five khandhas) and turns towards the unconditioned element, nibbaana.
      Viraga and nirodha are often together, referring to the inclination towards
      nibbaana.

      ---------

    • nina van gorkom
      Message 366 of 366 , Aug 17, 2006
        Dear Yong Peng,

        I found this in my concepts file not sent. So, I send it now, though
        belated (29 July). I cannot remember whether I sent it, but I do not
        see it in the messages.

        Nina.
        op 07-06-2006 08:45 schreef Ong Yong Peng op pali.smith@...:

        please advise on the word: aruupasa~n~nii

        21-25. Saddhindriya.m bhaaveti... viiriyindriya.m bhaaveti...
        satindriya.m bhaaveti... samaadhindriya.m bhaaveti...
        pa~n~nindriya.m bhaaveti....

        21-25. Saddhindriya.m bhaaveti... viiriyindriya.m bhaaveti...
        satindriya.m bhaaveti... samaadhindriya.m bhaaveti...
        pa~n~nindriya.m bhaaveti....
        ["O monks, if a monk] developed the faculty of faith (faculty of
        energy, faculty of mindfulness, faculty of concentration, faculty of
        wisdom), [even for the duration of a finger-snap, monks, such is
        said...]
        ------
        N: such a one is said...
        --------

        31-37. Satisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... dhammavicayasambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti... viiriyasambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... piitisambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti... passaddhisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti...
        samaadhisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... upekkhaasambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti....

        ["O monks, if a monk] developed the mindfulness (doctrinal
        investigation,
        ------
        N: Investigation of Dhamma.
        -------

        38-45. Sammaadi.t.thi.m bhaaveti... sammaasa`nkappa.m bhaaveti...
        sammaavaaca.m bhaaveti... sammaakammanta.m bhaaveti... sammaa-
        aajiiva.m bhaaveti... sammaavaayaama.m bhaaveti... sammaasati.m
        bhaaveti... sammaasamaadhi.m bhaaveti....
        ["O monks, if a monk] developed right view (right intention, right
        speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right
        mindfulness, right concentration), [even for the duration of a
        finger-snap, monks, such is said...]
        -------
        N: sammaasa`nkappa.m: instead of right intention: right thinking.

        Intention is usually reserved for the term cetanaa, volition or kamma
        which
        is not a factor of the eightfold Path.
        Sammaadi.t.thi and sammaasa`nkappa are together called the wisdom of the
        eightfold Path. Sammaasa`nkappa is vitakka cetasika and it assists
        paññaa in
        'touching' or striking the object of understanding so that paññaa can
        know
        it.

        46-53. Ajjhatta.m ruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati
        parittaani suva.n.nadubba.n.naani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami
        passaamii'ti -- eva.msa~n~nii hoti...
        ["O monks, if a monk, even for the duration of a finger-snap,]
        conscious of material forms arising from within,
        -------
        N: ajjhatta: I would eliminate arising, thus: within himself.
        I think materiality of his own body.
        He can develop kasinas taking as subject parts of his own body or
        external
        objects and then attain ruupa-jhaana.
        --------

        * appamaa.na (adj) endless, immeasurable, boundless, unlimited.
        ------
        N: here is allusion to the immaterial jhaanas, and here is the
        connection
        with the term aruupasa~n~nin.
        I consulted Dhammasangani Pali, 225: this has aruupasa~n~na. This is
        translated by PTS as: unconscious of any part of his corporeal self..

        The *a* is a negation of ruupasa~n~nin, not of ruupa, thus, not
        perceiving
        ruupa, materiality, of his own body. (See below the Atthasaalinii).
        The word unconscious seems misleading.
        ---------
        Ajjhatta.m aruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati parittaani
        suva.n.nadubba.n.naani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami passaamii'ti --
        eva.msa~n~nii hoti...

        ["O monks, if a monk, even for the duration of a finger-snap,]
        conscious of immaterial forms arising from within,
        ------
        N: immaterial forms: this is a contradiction.
        It could be: not conscious of material forms of his own body...
        This could be applied of all the following paras. These paras seem to
        refer
        to the colour kasinas of ruupa-jhaana.

        The Atthasaalinii, Co. to the Dhammasangani, explains (188) these
        'positions
        of mastery'.
        <'Not perceiving material quality in himself' means devoid of the
        perception
        of the preamble in his own bodily frame, either from not getting it,
        or from
        not wishing it.
        'Sees material qualities external to himself' means, from having
        performed
        the preamble externally in the eight devices, he sees with jhaana-
        eyes the
        external objects of these eight devices by virtue of the preamble and
        the
        extasy.
        'Limited' means not growing....
        Beautiful or ugly means pure or impure colours...>

        It is asked why it is said, Not perceiving material quality in
        himself, this
        is because his own body is not to be mastered, only external objects...
        *****