AN1.18.1-181 Aparaaccharaasa`nghaata Vagga (2/4)

    Message 1 of 366 , Jun 6, 2006
      Dear Nina and friends,

      please advise on the word: aruupasa~n~nii

      21-25. Saddhindriya.m bhaaveti... viiriyindriya.m bhaaveti...
      satindriya.m bhaaveti... samaadhindriya.m bhaaveti...
      pa~n~nindriya.m bhaaveti....

      26-30. Saddhaabala.m bhaaveti... viiriyabala.m bhaaveti...
      satibala.m bhaaveti... samaadhibala.m bhaaveti... pa~n~naabala.m
      bhaaveti....

      31-37. Satisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... dhammavicayasambojjha`nga.m
      bhaaveti... viiriyasambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... piitisambojjha`nga.m
      bhaaveti... passaddhisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti...
      samaadhisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... upekkhaasambojjha`nga.m
      bhaaveti....

      38-45. Sammaadi.t.thi.m bhaaveti... sammaasa`nkappa.m bhaaveti...
      sammaavaaca.m bhaaveti... sammaakammanta.m bhaaveti... sammaa-
      aajiiva.m bhaaveti... sammaavaayaama.m bhaaveti... sammaasati.m
      bhaaveti... sammaasamaadhi.m bhaaveti....

      46-53. Ajjhatta.m ruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati
      parittaani suva.n.nadubba.n.naani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami
      passaamii'ti -- eva.msa~n~nii hoti... ajjhatta.m ruupasa~n~nii
      bahiddhaa ruupaani passati appamaa.naani
      suva.n.nadubba.n.naani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami passaamii'ti --
      eva.msa~n~nii hoti... ajjhatta.m aruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani
      passati parittaani suva.n.nadubba.n.naani. 'Taani abhibhuyya
      jaanaami passaamii'ti -- eva.msa~n~nii hoti... ajjhatta.m
      aruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati appamaa.naani
      suva.n.nadubba.n.naani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami passaamii'ti --
      eva.msa~n~nii hoti... ajjhatta.m aruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani
      passati niilaani niilava.n.naani niilanidassanaani
      niilanibhaasaani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami passaamii'ti --
      eva.msa~n~nii hoti... ajjhatta.m aruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani
      passati piitaani piitava.n.naani piitanidassanaani
      piitanibhaasaani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami passaamii'ti --
      eva.msa~n~nii hoti... ajjhatta.m aruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani
      passati lohitakaani lohitakava.n.naani lohitakanidassanaani
      lohitakanibhaasaani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami passaamii'ti --
      eva.msa~n~nii hoti... ajjhatta.m aruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani
      passati odaataani odaatava.n.naani odaatanidassanaani
      odaatanibhaasaani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami passaamii'ti --
      eva.msa~n~nii hoti....

      21-25. Saddhindriya.m bhaaveti... viiriyindriya.m bhaaveti...
      satindriya.m bhaaveti... samaadhindriya.m bhaaveti...
      pa~n~nindriya.m bhaaveti....
      faculty of faith / develops / faculty of energy / develops / faculty
      of mindfulness / develops / faculty of concentration / develops /
      faculty of wisdom / develops
      ["O monks, if a monk] developed the faculty of faith (faculty of
      energy, faculty of mindfulness, faculty of concentration, faculty of
      wisdom), [even for the duration of a finger-snap, monks, such is
      said...]

      * saddhindriya (n) faculty of faith.
      - saddhaa (f) faith.
      - indriya (n) faculty.
      * viiriyindriya (n) faculty of energy.
      * satindriya (n) faculty of mindfulness.
      - sati (f) mindfulness.
      * samaadhindriya (n) faculty of concentration.
      * pa~n~nindriya (n) faculty of wisdom.
      - pa~n~naa (f) wisdom.

      26-30. Saddhaabala.m bhaaveti... viiriyabala.m bhaaveti...
      satibala.m bhaaveti... samaadhibala.m bhaaveti... pa~n~naabala.m
      bhaaveti....
      power of faith / develops / power of energy / develops / power of
      mindfulness / develops / power of concentration / develops / power
      of wisdom / develops
      ["O monks, if a monk] developed the power of faith (power of energy,
      power of mindfulness, power of concentration, power of wisdom),
      [even for the duration of a finger-snap, monks, such is said...]

      * saddhaabala (n) power of faith.
      - bala (n) power, strength.
      * viiriyabala (n) power of energy.
      * satibala (n) power of mindfulness.
      * samaadhibala (n) power of concentration.
      * pa~n~naabala (n) power of wisdom.

      31-37. Satisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... dhammavicayasambojjha`nga.m
      bhaaveti... viiriyasambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... piitisambojjha`nga.m
      bhaaveti... passaddhisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti...
      samaadhisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... upekkhaasambojjha`nga.m
      bhaaveti....
      mindfulness factor of enlightenment / develops / doctrinal
      investigation factor of enlightenment / develops / energy factor of
      enlightenment / develops / joy factor of enlightenment / develops /
      tranquility factor of enlightenment / develops / concentration
      factor of enlightenment / develops / equanimity factor of
      enlightenment / develops
      ["O monks, if a monk] developed the mindfulness (doctrinal
      investigation, energy, joy, tranquility, concentration, equanimity)
      factor of enlightenment, [even for the duration of a finger-snap,
      monks, such is said...]

      * satisambojjha`nga (n) mindfulness factor of enlightenment.
      - sambojjha`nga (n) factor, constituent of enlightenment (Sambodhi)
      * dhammavicayasambojjha`nga (n) doctrinal investigation factor of
      enlightenment.
      - vicaya (m) investigation.
      * viiriyasambojjha`nga (n) energy factor of enlightenment.
      * piitisambojjha`nga (n) joy factor of enlightenment.
      - piiti (f) joy, delight.
      * passaddhisambojjha`nga (n) tranquility factor of enlightenment.
      - passaddhi (f) calmness, tranquility.
      * samaadhisambojjha`nga (n) concentration factor of enlightenment.
      * upekkhaasambojjha`nga (n) equanimity factor of enlightenment.

      38-45. Sammaadi.t.thi.m bhaaveti... sammaasa`nkappa.m bhaaveti...
      sammaavaaca.m bhaaveti... sammaakammanta.m bhaaveti... sammaa-
      aajiiva.m bhaaveti... sammaavaayaama.m bhaaveti... sammaasati.m
      bhaaveti... sammaasamaadhi.m bhaaveti....
      right view / develops / right intention / develops / right speech /
      develops / right action / develops / right livelihood / develops /
      right effort / develops / right mindfulness / develops / right
      concentration / develops
      ["O monks, if a monk] developed right view (right intention, right
      speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right
      mindfulness, right concentration), [even for the duration of a
      finger-snap, monks, such is said...]

      * sammaadi.t.thi (f) right view.
      - sammaa (ind) properly, rightly, thoroughly.
      - di.t.thi (f) belief.
      * sammaasa`nkappa (m) right intention.
      - sa`nkappa (m) intention, purpose.
      * sammaavaacaa (f) right speech.
      - vaacaa (f) speech, saying, word.
      * sammaakammanta (m) right action.
      - kammanta (m) doing.
      * sammaa-aajiiva (m) right livelihood.
      - aajiiva (m) livelihood, subsistence.
      * sammaavaayaama (m) right effort.
      - vaayaama (m) effort, exertion, striving.
      * sammaasati (f) right mindfulness.
      * sammaasamaadhi (m) right concentration.

      46-53. Ajjhatta.m ruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati
      parittaani suva.n.nadubba.n.naani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami
      passaamii'ti -- eva.msa~n~nii hoti...
      arises from within / conscious of material form / on outside /
      material forms / sees / a little / beautiful and ugly / those /
      having mastered / know / see / thus-aware / is
      ["O monks, if a monk, even for the duration of a finger-snap,]
      conscious of material forms arising from within, sees limited
      external material forms beautiful and ugly, (and thinks) 'I master
      and I know those. I see', (he) is aware thus, [monks, such is
      said...]

      * ajjhatta (adj) personal, subjective, arises from within.
      * ruupasa~n~nin (adj) conscious of material form.
      - sa~n~nin (adj) conscious, having perception, being aware.
      * bahiddhaa (prep) outside.
      * ruupa (n) material form.
      * passati (v) sees.
      * paritta (n) a little.
      * suva.n.nadubba.n.na = suva.n.na ca dubba.n.na ca (adj) beautiful
      and ugly.
      - suva.n.na (adj) beautiful.
      - dubba.n.na (adj) ugly.
      * taani (rel pron, n, plural) those.
      * abhibhuyya (ger of abhibhavati) having overcome, mastered,
      conquered.
      * jaanaati (v) knows.
      * eva.msa~n~nin [sandhi] thus aware.
      - eva.m (adv) thus, so, in this way.
      * hoti (v) verb to be.

      Ajjhatta.m ruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati appamaa.naani
      suva.n.nadubba.n.naani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami passaamii'ti --
      eva.msa~n~nii hoti...
      arises from within / conscious of material form / on outside /
      material forms / sees / endless / beautiful and ugly / those /
      having mastered / know / see / thus-aware / is
      ["O monks, if a monk, even for the duration of a finger-snap,]
      conscious of material forms arising from within, sees unlimited
      external material forms beautiful and ugly, (and thinks) 'I master
      and I know those. I see', (he) is aware thus, [monks, such is
      said...]

      * appamaa.na (adj) endless, immeasurable, boundless, unlimited.

      Ajjhatta.m aruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati parittaani
      suva.n.nadubba.n.naani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami passaamii'ti --
      eva.msa~n~nii hoti...
      arises from within / conscious of immaterial form / on outside /
      material forms / sees / a little / beautiful and ugly / those /
      having mastered / know / see / thus-aware / is
      ["O monks, if a monk, even for the duration of a finger-snap,]
      conscious of immaterial forms arising from within, sees limited
      external material forms beautiful and ugly, (and thinks) 'I master
      and I know those. I see', (he) is aware thus, [monks, such is
      said...]

      * aruupasa~n~nin (adj) conscious of immaterial form.

      Ajjhatta.m aruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati appamaa.naani
      suva.n.nadubba.n.naani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami passaamii'ti --
      eva.msa~n~nii hoti...
      arises from within / conscious of immaterial form / on outside /
      material forms / sees / endless / beautiful and ugly / those /
      having mastered / know / see / thus-aware / is
      ["O monks, if a monk, even for the duration of a finger-snap,]
      conscious of immaterial forms arising from within, sees unlimited
      external material forms beautiful and ugly, (and thinks) 'I master
      and I know those. I see', (he) is aware thus, [monks, such is
      said...]

      Ajjhatta.m aruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati niilaani
      niilava.n.naani niilanidassanaani niilanibhaasaani. 'Taani
      abhibhuyya jaanaami passaamii'ti -- eva.msa~n~nii hoti...
      arises from within / conscious of immaterial form / on outside /
      material forms / sees / blue / blue color / attribute of blue / blue
      shine / those / having mastered / know / see / thus-aware / is
      ["O monks, if a monk, even for the duration of a finger-snap,]
      conscious of immaterial forms arising from within, sees external
      material forms in blue, blue hues, blue shades (and) blue polishes,
      (and thinks) 'I master and I know those. I see', (he) is aware thus,
      [monks, such is said...]

      * niila (adj) blue, green.
      * niilava.n.na (m) blue color.
      - va.n.na (m) color.
      * niilanidassana (n) attribute of blue.
      - nidassana (n) attribute, characteristic.
      * niilanibhaasa (m?) blue shine.
      - nibhaasa (m?) shine, lustre, splendour.

      Ajjhatta.m aruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati piitaani
      piitava.n.naani piitanidassanaani piitanibhaasaani. 'Taani
      abhibhuyya jaanaami passaamii'ti -- eva.msa~n~nii hoti...
      arises from within / conscious of immaterial form / on outside /
      material forms / sees / yellow / yellow color / attribute of
      yellow / yellow shine / those / having mastered / know / see / thus-
      aware / is
      ["O monks, if a monk, even for the duration of a finger-snap,]
      conscious of immaterial forms arising from within, sees external
      material forms in yellow, yellow hues, yellow shades (and) yellow
      polishes, (and thinks) 'I master and I know those. I see', (he) is
      aware thus, [monks, such is said...]

      * piita (adj) yellow.
      * piitava.n.na (m) yellow color.
      * piitanidassana (n) attribute of yellow.
      * piitanibhaasa (m?) yellow shine.

      Ajjhatta.m aruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati lohitakaani
      lohitakava.n.naani lohitakanidassanaani lohitakanibhaasaani. 'Taani
      abhibhuyya jaanaami passaamii'ti -- eva.msa~n~nii hoti...
      arises from within / conscious of immaterial form / on outside /
      material forms / sees / red / red color / attribute of red / red
      shine / those / having mastered / know / see / thus-aware / is
      ["O monks, if a monk, even for the duration of a finger-snap,]
      conscious of immaterial forms arising from within, sees external
      material forms in red, red hues, red shades (and) red polishes, (and
      thinks) 'I master and I know those. I see', (he) is aware thus,
      [monks, such is said...]

      * lohitaka (adj) red.
      * lohitakava.n.na (m) red color.
      * lohitakanidassana (n) attribute of red.
      * lohitakanibhaasa (m?) red shine.

      Ajjhatta.m aruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati odaataani
      odaatava.n.naani odaatanidassanaani odaatanibhaasaani. 'Taani
      abhibhuyya jaanaami passaamii'ti -- eva.msa~n~nii hoti....
      arises from within / conscious of immaterial form / on outside /
      material forms / sees / white / white color / attribute of white /
      white shine / those / having mastered / know / see / thus-aware / is
      ["O monks, if a monk, even for the duration of a finger-snap,]
      conscious of immaterial forms arising from within, sees external
      material forms in white, white hues, white shades (and) white
      polishes, (and thinks) 'I master and I know those. I see', (he) is
      aware thus, [monks, such is said...]

      * odaata (adj) white.
      * odaatava.n.na (m) white color.
      * odaatanidassana (n) attribute of white.
      * odaatanibhaasa (m?) white shine.

      Please correct me if there is any mistake.

    • nina van gorkom
      Message 366 of 366 , Aug 17, 2006
        Dear Yong Peng,

        I found this in my concepts file not sent. So, I send it now, though
        belated (29 July). I cannot remember whether I sent it, but I do not
        see it in the messages.

        Nina.
        op 07-06-2006 08:45 schreef Ong Yong Peng op pali.smith@...:

        please advise on the word: aruupasa~n~nii

        21-25. Saddhindriya.m bhaaveti... viiriyindriya.m bhaaveti...
        satindriya.m bhaaveti... samaadhindriya.m bhaaveti...
        pa~n~nindriya.m bhaaveti....

        21-25. Saddhindriya.m bhaaveti... viiriyindriya.m bhaaveti...
        satindriya.m bhaaveti... samaadhindriya.m bhaaveti...
        pa~n~nindriya.m bhaaveti....
        ["O monks, if a monk] developed the faculty of faith (faculty of
        energy, faculty of mindfulness, faculty of concentration, faculty of
        wisdom), [even for the duration of a finger-snap, monks, such is
        said...]
        ------
        N: such a one is said...
        --------

        31-37. Satisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... dhammavicayasambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti... viiriyasambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... piitisambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti... passaddhisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti...
        samaadhisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... upekkhaasambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti....

        ["O monks, if a monk] developed the mindfulness (doctrinal
        investigation,
        ------
        N: Investigation of Dhamma.
        -------

        38-45. Sammaadi.t.thi.m bhaaveti... sammaasa`nkappa.m bhaaveti...
        sammaavaaca.m bhaaveti... sammaakammanta.m bhaaveti... sammaa-
        aajiiva.m bhaaveti... sammaavaayaama.m bhaaveti... sammaasati.m
        bhaaveti... sammaasamaadhi.m bhaaveti....
        ["O monks, if a monk] developed right view (right intention, right
        speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right
        mindfulness, right concentration), [even for the duration of a
        finger-snap, monks, such is said...]
        -------
        N: sammaasa`nkappa.m: instead of right intention: right thinking.

        Intention is usually reserved for the term cetanaa, volition or kamma
        which
        is not a factor of the eightfold Path.
        Sammaadi.t.thi and sammaasa`nkappa are together called the wisdom of the
        eightfold Path. Sammaasa`nkappa is vitakka cetasika and it assists
        paññaa in
        'touching' or striking the object of understanding so that paññaa can
        know
        it.

        46-53. Ajjhatta.m ruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati
        parittaani suva.n.nadubba.n.naani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami
        passaamii'ti -- eva.msa~n~nii hoti...
        ["O monks, if a monk, even for the duration of a finger-snap,]
        conscious of material forms arising from within,
        -------
        N: ajjhatta: I would eliminate arising, thus: within himself.
        I think materiality of his own body.
        He can develop kasinas taking as subject parts of his own body or
        external
        objects and then attain ruupa-jhaana.
        --------

        * appamaa.na (adj) endless, immeasurable, boundless, unlimited.
        ------
        N: here is allusion to the immaterial jhaanas, and here is the
        connection
        with the term aruupasa~n~nin.
        I consulted Dhammasangani Pali, 225: this has aruupasa~n~na. This is
        translated by PTS as: unconscious of any part of his corporeal self..

        The *a* is a negation of ruupasa~n~nin, not of ruupa, thus, not
        perceiving
        ruupa, materiality, of his own body. (See below the Atthasaalinii).
        The word unconscious seems misleading.
        ---------
        Ajjhatta.m aruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati parittaani
        suva.n.nadubba.n.naani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami passaamii'ti --
        eva.msa~n~nii hoti...

        ["O monks, if a monk, even for the duration of a finger-snap,]
        conscious of immaterial forms arising from within,
        ------
        N: immaterial forms: this is a contradiction.
        It could be: not conscious of material forms of his own body...
        This could be applied of all the following paras. These paras seem to
        refer
        to the colour kasinas of ruupa-jhaana.

        The Atthasaalinii, Co. to the Dhammasangani, explains (188) these
        'positions
        of mastery'.
        <'Not perceiving material quality in himself' means devoid of the
        perception
        of the preamble in his own bodily frame, either from not getting it,
        or from
        not wishing it.
        'Sees material qualities external to himself' means, from having
        performed
        the preamble externally in the eight devices, he sees with jhaana-
        eyes the
        external objects of these eight devices by virtue of the preamble and
        the
        extasy.
        'Limited' means not growing....
        Beautiful or ugly means pure or impure colours...>

        It is asked why it is said, Not perceiving material quality in
        himself, this
        is because his own body is not to be mastered, only external objects...
        *****