muddaapita = printed?

  • Khemaramsi
    Message 1 of 7 , May 21, 2006
      Dear friends

      I encounter a problem again reading U Pandita Sayadaw's preface to Visuddhi~naan.akathaa. I can't find a solution for 'muddaapita', according to the context where this word appears, it seems to mean (The book) 'was printed'. While 'muddaa' means 'seal' 'impression' according to PED, what is 'pita'? Thank you for your kind help in advance.

      much metta

      Tzung Kuen

      Sotthi te hotu sabbadaa 願幸福永遠伴隨您May there always be happiness for you
      ___________________________________________________ 最新版 Yahoo!奇摩即時通訊 7.0,免費網路電話任你打! http://messenger.yahoo.com.tw/

    • rett
      Message 2 of 7 , May 21, 2006
        >Dear friends
        >
        > I encounter a problem again reading U Pandita Sayadaw's preface to Visuddhi~naan.akathaa. I can't find a solution for 'muddaapita', according to the context where this word appears, it seems to mean (The book) 'was printed'. While 'muddaa' means 'seal' 'impression' according to PED, what is 'pita'? Thank you for your kind help in advance.

        Dear Tzung Kuen and group,

        I think it does mean printed, possibly here 'caused to be printed, had printed'. I have also seen this in prefaces. The finite verb form is muddaapeti, the /p/ being inserted as is optional with causative forms. So muddaapita is a normal past participle form of muddaapeti. I don't think you'll find this in the PED but Buddhadatta gives the word under the entry for 'print' (verb) in his English-Pali dictionary.

        best regards,

        /Rett
      • Khemaramsi
        Message 3 of 7 , May 21, 2006
          Dear rett

          rett :
          I think it does mean printed, possibly here 'caused to be printed, had printed'. I have also seen this in prefaces. The finite verb form is muddaapeti, the /p/ being inserted as is optional with causative forms. So muddaapita is a normal past participle form of muddaapeti. I don't think you'll find this in the PED but Buddhadatta gives the word under the entry for 'print' (verb) in his English-Pali dictionary.

          Thanks for the answer. Now I realize sometimes Buddhadatt's dictionaries are more useful than PED.

          with mcuh metta

          Message 4 of 7 , May 21, 2006
            Hi again,

            > Now I realize sometimes Buddhadatt's dictionaries are more useful than PED.

            This is especially true when it comes to modern Pali composition. If I suspect that a mysterious word means X, I first look up X in Buddhadatta's English-Pali dictionary. The PED has good coverage of the vocabulary of canonical texts and books like Dhammapada.t.thakathaa. However, modern prefaces and epistles weren't consulted at all as far as I can tell.

            best regards,

            /Rett
          • rett
            Message 5 of 7 , May 22, 2006
              Dear Tzung Kuen and group,

              In connection with muddaapita, Buddhadatta and modern Pali, I dug up my line by line notes from the first two paragraphs of Buddhadatta's preface to his Dhp-A edition, Colombo, 1956, and have included them below. This is really fun stuff (at least according to my definition of fun).

              There are 12 words or expressions not to be found in the PED or Cone, including words for 'Pali Text Society', 'Index of proper names' and of course 'printed'. These are explained at the end.

              I hope this might be of interest to Pali enthusiasts who wish to read modern Pali prefaces, and, as always, I'm always grateful for comments or corrections. At the very least, it provides another example of muddaapita in a modern Pali context.

              best regards,

              /Rett

              mukhabandho

              Preface

              yathaa dhammapadagantho sabbehi sogatehi accadarena parisiiliiyate tathaa dhammapada.t.thakathapi sabbesu sogatara.t.thesu bahuuhi gihiipabbajitehi accaadarena parisiiliiyate.

              Just as the book Dhammapada is studied with great respect by all Buddhists, so even the Dhammapada commentary is studied with great respect by many ordained people in all Buddhist countries.

              saa pana.t.thakathaa paa.libhaasam ugga^nhitukaamehi aadhunikehi bahuso seviyate, imasmi.m la.mkaadiipe syaamara.t.the ca.

              This commentary is commonly employed by modern people wishing to learn the Pali language, both here in Sri Lanka and in Thailand.

              saa panesaa siihala-maramma-syaama-e.mgalantara.t.thesu cirakalato pa.t.thaaya mudda^nkanena pacaritaa.

              It has long been circulated in printed form in the Sinhalese, Burmese, Thai and English countries.

              e.mgalantara.t.the paa.lipotthakapakaasaka samitiyaa muddaapitaa pana saa bahuuna.m paa.thantaraana.m dassanena ca saññaanaamaavalii-aadiihi yojitattaa ca atisayena payojanaavahaa hoti.

              The one published in England by the Pali Text Society is extremely useful because it shows many alternative readings and is equipped with indices of proper names and so on.

              Glosses:

              sogata: 'Buddhist' (<sugata, an epithet of the Buddha, with a strengthened initial vowel. Comparable to Sanksrit Jaina<Jina, Bauddha<Buddha).

              parisiiliiyate: 'is studied' (see Sanskrit pari^siilana.m, study, application or attachment to, fixed pursuit).

              gihii-pabbajita: literally 'gone forth from the home-life'. I translate as 'ordained'.

              aadhunika: 'modern, contemporary' (from Sanskrit).

              syaamara.t.tha: 'Thailand'.

              maramma: 'Burmese'.

              e.mgalanta: 'English, England'

              paa.li-potthaka-pakaasaka-samiti: 'Pali Text Society'. Literally: Pali Book Publishers' Assembly. pakaasaka = publisher (from Sanskrit prakaa^saka). In the text the compound is broken into paa.lipotthakapakaasaka samiti. Despite the space before samiti, it is to be read as a compound. Compounds are sometimes broken up in this way in Sinhalese editions.

              mudda^nkana: 'printing'. I take mudda^nkanena as meaning 'by means of printing' or 'through printing', not as the agent of the ppp pacaaritaa.

              pacaarita: 'circulated' (see Buddhadatta's English-Pali Dictionary, qv 'circulate')

              muddaapita: 'printed'.

              saññaa-naamaavalii-aadi: 'Index of Proper Names and so forth'. Buddhadatta's dictionary has naamaavalii as a translation of 'list'. Another word for 'list' is suuci, which is also used as a translation of index. saññaa corresponds to Sanskrit sa.mjñaa, which has as one of its meanings 'proper name'. Since the first index in the PTS edition of Dhammapada.t.thakathaa happens to be an Index of Proper Names, I find this translation to be most likely.

              Literature

              Apte, V.S., The Practical Sanskrit-English Dictionary, Delhi, 1998.

              Buddhadatta, Mahaathera (ed.), Dhammapada.t.thakathaa, Colombo, 1956.

              Buddhadatta, Mahaathera, English-Pali Dictionary, PTS, Oxford, 1995.

              Cone, Margaret, A Dictionary of Pali: Part I, a-kh, Pali Text Society, Oxford, 2001.

              Norman, H.C. (ed.), The Commentary on the Dhammapada I-IV, PTS, London, 1970.

              Rhys Davids, T.W. and Stede, William, The Pali Text Society's Pali-English Dictionary, Oxford, 1998.

              Everett Thiele Stockholm, 2006-02-12
            • rett
              Message 6 of 7 , May 22, 2006
                A little addition to the previous post.

                It looks as if I actually took muddaapita as 'published' when I worked through this last February. I probably was thinking along the lines of 'cause to be printed' from the causative form.

                Opinions?

                best regards

                /Rett
              • Khemaramsi
                Message 7 of 7 , May 22, 2006
                  Dear rett

                  Thanks for sharing your notes of these difficult words. They are quite interesting and useful.

                  with metta

                  Tzung kuen

                  rett <rett@...> 說:
[...]

                  e.mgalantara.t.the paa.lipotthakapakaasaka samitiyaa muddaapitaa pana saa bahuuna.m paa.thantaraana.m dassanena ca sa嚭aanaamaavalii-aadiihi yojitattaa ca atisayena payojanaavahaa hoti.

[...]

                  sa嚭aa-naamaavalii-aadi: 'Index of Proper Names and so forth'. Buddhadatta's dictionary has naamaavalii as a translation of 'list'. Another word for 'list' is suuci, which is also used as a translation of index. sa嚭aa corresponds to Sanskrit sa.mj鎙a, which has as one of its meanings 'proper name'. Since the first index in the PTS edition of Dhammapada.t.thakathaa happens to be an Index of Proper Names, I find this translation to be most likely.

                  Literature

                  Apte, V.S., The Practical Sanskrit-English Dictionary, Delhi, 1998.

                  Buddhadatta, Mahaathera (ed.), Dhammapada.t.thakathaa, Colombo, 1956.

                  Buddhadatta, Mahaathera, English-Pali Dictionary, PTS, Oxford, 1995.

                  Cone, Margaret, A Dictionary of Pali: Part I, a-kh, Pali Text Society, Oxford, 2001.

                  Norman, H.C. (ed.), The Commentary on the Dhammapada I-IV, PTS, London, 1970.

                  Rhys Davids, T.W. and Stede, William, The Pali Text Society's Pali-English Dictionary, Oxford, 1998.

                  Everett Thiele Stockholm, 2006-02-12

                  Paa.li-Parisaa - The Pali Collective
                  [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
                  [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com

                  Pali Beyond belief Tibetan buddhism Zen buddhism